"Feeling sorry for yourself" about being hit by your husband is not Christian 2/15/12 WT Page 25 P 12

by yourmomma 449 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

My mom wants to literally kill my ex because he hit me for years before I left. I wonder what she will make of this article...

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

Are they not aware that an abuser always tells their spouse that ' oh if only you kept your mouth shut, had my meal on the table when I came in from work, did as you were told, didn't look at me like that...... I wouldn't have hit you.' The whole article is sick, pity I won't be attending the meeting when this vomit is served up........ I'd give 'em what for. My daughter left her husband because of violence and is now fighting him in family court to prevent him getting access. Hugs to all those that have suffered because of abusers ((((((()))))))) May peace be yours xx

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

In February 2012, I bet JWN has a rush of newbies!

• designs
    designs

Just remember Russell was against the Suffragetts, it has improved much in 120 years in Watchtower Land.

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

Wow. I can't wait to hear comments on this at the WT study. What toxic things spew from the Org....

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

The Slave has never really been against male on female spousal abuse. Not in any real way.

The Watchtower March 15, 1983.

Honor Godly Marriage.

In some cases there may be verbal and physical abuse, threats and beatings. But does this mean that the Christian marriage mate should leave the unbeliever? The apostle Paul counsels: “A wife should not depart from her husband; but if she should actually depart, let her remain unmarried or else make up again with her husband; and a husband should not leave his wife.” As Paul points out, preserving the marriage will be to the spiritual benefit of any children. In a practical way, also, it may be to the material benefit of the believing parent and children. Still, in the event that abuse becomes unbearable, or life itself is endangered, the believing mate may choose to “depart.” But the endeavor should be to “make up again” in due course. (1 Corinthians 7:10-16) However, ‘departing’ does not of itself provide Scriptural grounds for divorce and remarriage; still, a legal divorce or a legal separation may provide a measure of protection from further abuse.

Awake! January 22, 1976 Working at Improving Marriage But what of a situation where one subjects one’s mate to physical abuse, though not committing “fornication”? Here the counsel found at 1 Corinthians 7:10, 11 is appropriate: “A wife should not depart from her husband; but if she should actually depart, let her remain unmarried or else make up again with her husband; and a husband should not leave his wife.” Thus, while the Word of God permits divorce on the ground of “fornication” and allows for separation, it does not encourage couples to split up. Rather, the admonition is to work at improving marriage, to “make up again.” And the Bible contains simple principles that have helped thousands of couples to improve their marriages. Let us consider some of these principles.

As I was looking this information up, I noticed one other thing. The Watchtower condones physical punishment for children, but not for dogs as I discovered in an Awake! article entitled How to Train Your Dog. I presume this is because dogs cannot be indoctrinated.
  • freshstart
    freshstart

I haven't been to a meeting in 2 years, but I am SOOOO tempted to go to that one and give a nice long comment about the blatent disregard for the victims!! I still technically have commenting "privileges"

• ReallyTrulyAthena
    ReallyTrulyAthena

@ cedars -

I've just sent an email with an attachment of the magazine to the UK women's charities Refuge and Women's Aid.

Earlier, I was so caught up in my memories, I neglected to comment in my post with a big "thanks!" to you for doing that!

@ poopsiecakes and thenoblelodge - I agree, hugs all 'round ...

• metatron
    metatron

Protest and emote as you wish but what possible effect -if any- will this horror have on anyone in the "truth"? Nothing, I hope I'm wrong.

Why should it? How many sisters have Masters degrees and are utterly obseqiuous to elders who never picked up a college textbook in their lives? (Social Workers, Teachers, Nurses).

Hook, Line and Sinker. Please prove me wrong.

The only benefit will be to enlighten outsiders to how abusive and foolish this cult is.

metatron

• flipper
    flipper

This is just infuriating and insane. Talk about promoting abuse of women and co-dependency in relationships. It's obvious that the WT society's interpretion of an alleged " good wife " is to have a silently duct taped to the mouth Stepford Wife for every JW male. It's digusting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit