"Feeling sorry for yourself" about being hit by your husband is not Christian 2/15/12 WT Page 25 P 12

by yourmomma 449 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mary
    Mary

OK, I'll do a post either later tonight when I get home or I'll post one or two examples tomorrow.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I'm going to make a lot of photocopies of the article in question (and the WT can kiss my ass if they try crying 'copyright infringement') and send them out in the mail.
    Well another approach then is if one sends an email or an electronic message to someone, send a hyperlink to the posted document, which is available for all to download freely........

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Great idea Mary! Please get the letter together. I can think of a few groups in the US that need to see this.

Also, what about the media?

Skeeter

• N.drew
    N.drew
    @ I'm saying that WT is using the dialogue to teach only one point (Don't push people past their limits or bad things may happen). They may (or may not) denounce the use of force somewhere else.

The husband in the illustration started the fight over "she was trying to make a point" which means she was using logic to reason with him about the hope. I know. He might have bashed her over just about anything. We could start the longest thread about what ticks people off. Husband might be thinking "you know I hate stew, why'd you make it"? And BAM.

The subliminal message is the society saying "just get the spouse HERE, we'll do the teaching".

So then my point is the society was not making that other point (that we should not push buttons on purpose) but the point was society wants him for their mission, not love's mission.

It's subliminal, not obvious. I don't know what their mission is. Anybody?

• sd-7
    sd-7

N. drew, you just brought up a very interesting point here. The unspoken message here, following your line of thought is that, from the WT point of view, (1) this sister attempted to teach a man, and therefore (2) she got what was coming to her, getting hit by her husband. The subtle lesson, then, is that she was wrong for trying to teach him instead of just trying to win him without a word!

Forgive me if someone said that already, as I just picked up on the last post made here...but that's freaking sadistic, man! That goes even deeper than it already is, if that's what is being implied here! Wow.

--sd-7

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

The subliminal message is the society saying "just get the spouse HERE, we'll do the teaching".

This seems to be the reality, women in the org are used to bring in men, with really no regard to the well being of the women. I am utterly amazed that a woman in this day and age would stand for a lot of what the organization stands for, but for many I believe their self esteem is low enough that the false friendships that they get and the need that is felt for them to go door to door, keep the KH clean amongst other menial tasks gives them something to cling to, something to make them feel important.

The article that is being dicussed here just goes way too far, far worse than the 'theocratic ministry' where it is ok to lie for the good of the organization. This article is condoning, almost instructing a member to allow abuse to go on with the hope that a UBM can become a JW. Never does this article show any concern or compassion for the gal who is getting abused.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I have it on good authority that rather than phrase the scripture "won without a word" there was a faction of the NWT translation committee who wanted it to say "STFU Bitch!" but it didn't get the requisite 2/3 majority to pass.

The Borg is one of the most misogynistic groups on the planet. It's disgusting.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Bookmarked. This is a jaw-dropping thread - except for the fact that, having nearly 40 years of experience with this religion, I can attest, as several of the past quotes already highlighted show, that this horrific tripe is par for the course for the WTS.

This article's "example" of Selma is disgusting. Sadly, it is not at all surprising.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

In the past, whenever, I've asked my elder husband about the kind of advice given by elders to women whose husbands beat them, he says that they don't suggest the wives leave because then they (the elders) would be accountable for any struggles/hardships, etc. that those wives encounter after leaving.

Still, the absolute idiocy of that response makes my head reel. What about the accountability incurred by encouraging a wife to stay with an abuser? What about the accountability of that "soft spoken" idiot sister who told her study to be more loving and "Christian"? She bears accountability for the bruises and broken bones experienced by her study over the next 17 years.

This makes me sick. Yet, I know exactly how many, if not most, JWs will view this situation: its about faithfulness and perseverance as a WITNESS, not about safety as a WOMAN. The Witness aspect trumps every other avenue and always will.

• donuthole
    donuthole

E-mailed 2 local agencies and mailed another.

If the Society responds I believe they'll simply decry dosmetic abuse as a terrible thing and point to past issues of Awake! that deal with the topic as how proactive they are being.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit