"Feeling sorry for yourself" about being hit by your husband is not Christian 2/15/12 WT Page 25 P 12

by yourmomma 449 Replies latest watchtower bible

• flipper
    flipper

Good job Joliette ! Keep pumping those you-tube videos out there. People need to hear about this abuse subject

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Good Morning, was thinking about how to get this issue noticed and was thinking that many of our college students these days are more than willing to take up a cause and run with it. I have been able to use google and locate organizations on campuses who are actively involved in prevention and identification of domestic violence and the victims and am planning on sending the article to these organizations either electronically (if I can locate an email address) or if need be via US Mail.

Thanks all for the great ideas, after almost a week of reading about this the shock has still not worn off, this is a disgusting, sick and appaling article.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Below are excerpts from biographies of two people who I am trying to make aware of the letter, both are listed as active with campus groups at a local university, one as a member of the board of visitors and one as a student activist.....I am most excited about getting the information in the hands of the second person below.

Ms. XXXX has been a volunteer with Fairfax County’s hotline for Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault as well as Children’s Support Groups at the women’s shelter since 2005. In 2010 she was appointed to the Board for the Family and Children’s Trust Fund (FACT) of Virginia. Currently she is the Treasurer and sits on the Executive Committee for FACT. Ms. XXXX was appointed to the Board of Visitors in 2011.

......to advocate on behalf of the Domestic Violence Survivors Justice Act. As a Feminist Law and Policy major, she is most passionate about women’s issues, and aims to help underprivileged women and their families through policy work. She also hopes to one-day work in the non-profit sector as an advocate for women and families who are adversely affected by domestic violence and the criminal justice system.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

My brief take on the propaganda is:-

12 Selma (Made up name and experience) recalls a lesson she learned from the Witness who studied with her. “On one particular day,” says Selma, “I didn’t want to have a Bible study. (Oh,no! ‘Mentally diseased apostate’ thoughts! ‘Appeal to the common man’ ‘appeal to fear’) The night before, Steve (I’m surprised they didn’t call him Andre. That’s quite a common ‘watchtower’ alias) had hit me as I had tried to prove a point, (What point? The GB must be obeyed over her husband?) and I was feeling sad and sorry for myself. (I think this is supposed to make us all feel guilty for not wanting to look at the watchtower’s version of the Bible and for having normal feelings) After I told the sister what had happened and how I felt, she asked me to read 1 Corinthians 13:4-7. As I did, I began to reason, ‘Steve never does any of these loving things for me.’ (That’s because he’s ‘worldly’ and the old JW ‘us vs: them’ mentality is being advertised here!) But the sister made me think differently by asking, ‘How many of those acts of love do you show toward your husband?’ My answer was, None, for he is so difficult to live with.’ The sister softly said, ‘Selma, who is trying to be a Christian (Translation = JW cult member) here? You or Steve?’ Realizing that I needed to adjust my thinking, (Guilt, fear and phobia to obey cult rules. Rather than escape the danger of a supposedly brutal husband the wife must endanger her life to preach cult propaganda) I prayed to Jehovah to help me be more loving toward Steve. Slowly, things started to change.”After 17 years, (17 years? How old is he now? 80 and feeble? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. God is not slow….HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. This is just designed to lock people in to the cult..FOREVER) Steve accepted the truth . (B0((0cks! Absolute fictional b0((0cks. Poor bloke is senile by this time………………well, he isn’t as he doesn’t exist, just like Jarhoover doesn’t either!)

• 00DAD
    00DAD

blond-moment: I tried to view your video but YouTube said it was unavailable!!!

• sabastious
    sabastious

1 Peter 2 - 11 Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. 12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

13 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, 14 or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. 15 For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people. 16 Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves. 17 Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.

18 Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. 19 For it is commendable if someone bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because they are conscious of God. 20 But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. 21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

22 “He committed no sin,
    and no deceit was found in his mouth.”

23 When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. 24 “He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.” 25 For “you were like sheep going astray,”but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.

^ So recieving pain in the name of Christ is being glorified here, specifcally beatings even. Check out the very next verse in chapter 3 which speaks in regards to women:

1 Peter 3 - 1 Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, 2 when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. 3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. 4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 5 For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands, 6 like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear.

7 Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.

^ So it was peter that the Watchtower got their wife beating rederick from. These gentlemen were on the brink of a new way of life and they made sure their sexism was hidden in piety.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

Basically the message is this when broken down:

For Men:
    1.) Men must submit to Christ and human authorities
    2.) Sometimes human authorities are violent
    3.) Men should bare the pain because Christ bore pain for man

For Women:1.) Women must submit to all authorities including their husbands
    2.) Some husbands are violent
    3.) Women should bare the pain in hopes that it will win him over to the church

....This stuff has been going on for thousands of years.

-Sab

• Mary
    Mary

These scriptures were written 2,000 years ago when a woman's status was not much above that of a household slave. A woman was viewed as her husband's property and there was absolutely no equality in the marriage whatsoever. A husband could beat his wife with impunity and nothing happened to him. That was simply the society, mentality and culture of those days.

For the idiots at Crooklyn to still be trying to implement this sort of mentality now is absurd. It would be like them trying to tell black people that they should still be subservient to their white masters. Why? Because the 'Good Book' endorses slavery. Can you imagine the outrage if that paragraph had stated the following:

"...Selma, a black woman, recalls a lesson she learned from the Witness who studied with her. "On one particular day," says Selma, "I didn't want to have a Bible study. The night before, my master had hit me as I had tried to prove a point, and I was feeling sad and sorry for myself. After I told the sister what had happened and how I felt, she asked me to read Ephesians 6:5 that says: "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ." She also showed me another scripture:

"...Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them." (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

As I read, I began to reason, my master never does any loving things for me.' But the sister made me think differently by asking, ‘How many of those acts of love do you show toward your master?' My answer was, ‘None, for he is so difficult to live with.'

The sister softly said, ‘Selma, who is trying to be a Christian here? You or your master?' Realizing that I needed to adjust my thinking, I prayed to Jehovah to help me be a better slave. Slowly, things started to change." After 17 years, my master accepted the truth.

Apparently even the Writing Department knows that this would be pushing the envelope and will not write anything like this (unless they'd like to be sued, charged with discrimiation and possibly have their headquarters closed down). But they still somehow think that that marriage certificate gives someone the Right to beat someone else and that that person should simply put up with it in case the aggressor decides to convert.

• Scully
    Scully

The thought that sickens me more than anything, is the idea that some jerkwad in the Writing Department™ was probably describing his best wet dream when he wrote that Experience™.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Thanks to Mary's sample letter I have been able to send a copy of the article to a few domestic violence organizations in my area, chairs of the women's studies programs at two local universities, the Tribune company and a couple of students at local universities who are officers for organizations that are active against domestic violence. Still have a few other letters I plan on sending, if just one person can step away from a violent situation in a home or step away from the organization that condones this behavior my time will be well spent, am already pleased having received a response from one of the organizations who is now aware at some of the teachings of the WTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit