Fallout From GB Anti-College Letter – This Will Cause Problems!

by Seeker4 179 Replies latest members private

• jambon1
    jambon1

Seeker 4, thanks for the clarification. I remember sitting as an m/s at one meeting with the co/elders & actually shaking my head at what I was hearing from the co's 'outline'. One elder (who showed the ministerial servants out the door) asked me if I was OK when we were leaving. I wonder if this info will be made available to the ministerial servants as well as the elders. Or is it just elders?

• grassyknoll07
    grassyknoll07

Going back to the original post by Seeker. I don't think this will be a big deal. It's not an official policy. I spoke to the CO on Saturday about it and he mentioned this is an area of concern (nothing new). I mentioned that most of our young brothers are in college or community college. As this is a necessity, because of the competitive job environment. He mentioned the FDS understands this, and this is a personal decision each publisher must make. But as elders we can't encourage it. Our task is to encourage theocratic goals. Education is a personal matter to be decided between parent and child -- we should mention this to the publishers. I asked him if my son decided to go to college, would that disqualify me? He asked me a bunch of questions -- which led me to this conclusion... If he is spiritually strong and by his lifestyle demonstrates that his primary focus is theocratic, I will not lose my privileges.

• james_woods
    james_woods

GrassyKnoll, you must really be enjoying the cool aid. BTW - did you mention to your CO that you were going to post that information here?

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    He asked me a bunch of questions -- which led me to this conclusion... If he is spiritually strong and by his lifestyle demonstrates that his primary focus is theocratic, I will not lose my privileges.

So...if he goes to college and attends less meetings (due to his busy school schedule), less service and starts to associate with some of his classmates, you could/would. Wow, yeah, that's a comforting thought. Even more pressure on the young ones, to handle college, three meetings a week, service or their elder dad will be breathing down their necks because they will pay the price. They should rename the WTS to Controlfreaks R Us.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Seeker4,

There is an elder and his wife in my hall who originally came from an Asian country which values education. Both of them have degrees. Their son is in his second year of a bachelor's degree.

He has been told by the elders (and this was 2 years ago) not to encourage the youth to go to college but to give the official party line.

As a result, he is rarely used to give talks.

• parakeet
    parakeet

james_woods wrote: "I am beginning to think this may be one of the worst blunders the Society has made in all it's history. There is just something about ordering people around about what to do about their kids that naturally rubs people raw."

If THAT example of ordering dubs around regarding their children doesn't rub them the wrong way, forbidding college won't even begin to make a dent in their worship of the GB.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Here is an organization that touts its WORLDWIDE BROTHERHOOD where "everybody is unified and everybody believes the same things"....and within their own HEADQUARTERS from whence all the dictates to the R&F come...they have the Hatfields and the McCoys going on between departments even within ONE building?? Jaracz is running this operation like Hitler...and what a nasty mess those people are in who WORK and LIVE there. What happens to them if they dont toe the line and do whatever they are told to do? They cant survive outside those walls. They have no educations, homes, skills, the ability to keep up with this economy. They are prisoners.

The way the Society has always done things was by guilt, by inferred sanctions, by coming in the back door with things, by double talking and by reminding you ever so subtley..you are being watched. And...like the blood issue...they arent DFing you for taking blood, they will just assume by your taking the blood that you have disassociated yourself. How nice and neat that is, and how blood free their hands remain even as they hold the recently shot gun. "I didnt shoot them, they committed suicide"

So they throw out there this new "old" review, reminder, rehashing of the higher education subject with the implied repurcussions that there will be hell to pay if you dont listen to them. And the GRAYER this thing is the scarier it is...like knowing there are landmines out there but not knowing where they are...And enough JWs will be scared enough to stop their kids from going. They keep peeling away, sanding away, washing away...that outer layer of iffy JWs...to get to the hard core scared shitless ones who will do whatever they want whenever they want and the loss of that outer layer will be dutifully referred to as the sorting and sifting work, and the love of the greater number cooling off and Jehovahs blessing and hand being over all of this.

The koolaid could not be far behind folks.

• jambon1
    jambon1

Grassy - I bet you loved that bunch of questions eh? I think it's insane. A grown man being quized by another grown man on a lifestyle choice. Enjoy it mate. It's not for the majority but you go girl.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

grassyknoll wrote: "...don't think this will be a big deal. It's not an official policy."

I think the point of this CO outline is to definitely define this as WTS official policy! Why would it not be "official policy" when they are spelling out to the BOE the need to review the servant body if any member is going to college or if any servants have kids that are going?

No, it seems clear that they ARE establishing the official WTS policy on whether a servant can still serve under these circumstances.

The fact that they are doing this, have included it to be reviewed by all BOE during the COs visit, and are not simply referring to their earlier anti-ed stance info makes me think this is a "big deal." I know some active elders who feel this way as well.

Time will tell on this - it'll be interesting to see if there is any follow through in the congregations.

S4

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

It's just another thing to put up on the shelf and forget about until the next issue comes along.

Those shelves must be getting pretty close to falling off the wall by now.

Waiting with baited breath......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit