The End of Circuit Overseers

by scotsman 127 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• molybdenum
    molybdenum

If i am incorrect please correct me, but I thought the CO arrangement was based on scriptural example. Paul has always been held up as the example and reason for the arrangement. Also for missionaries. What could be the scriptural reason for abandoning this arrangement do you think? ( if it's true!) Does it mean that the missionary arrangement will also be phased out?

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

scriptural reasoninig? u mean scriptural gymnastics!

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

I'm not sure...I don't believe this is all about money or declining numbers. Mind you I have no proof but all these recent changes...

Someone mentioned that a lot of CO's and DO's would be disgruntled...this could be used to weed out disaffected people

We could also be "witnessing" the beginnings of preparations to go underground if need be. Look at it...one WT for the public and one for the faithful...if they have to go underground then they simply drop the "public" edition and the faithful are already accustom to recieving one WT per month of "food from the slave" so it's no big loss or adjustment with their indoctination. Eliminating or cutting down on the CO's and DO's who have become VERY numerous since WWII reduces the WTS's visibility and presence. The cut in the meetings makes the local rank and file that much less visible. All of these things would be required (and more) if they were driven underground so these are important first steps if you are planning for the eventuality.

After all, didn't Losh state in a talk that the preaching work was done?

I do believe that declining numbers, lawsuits and $$$ are a factor, at least for "public" speculation. However I think these changes reflect a decision to begin preparing to operate underground at some point in the future and the constant speculation about numbers, $$$ and lawsuits deflects attention away from the real goal. They are getting ready for the events they believe are going to be happening in the future or they are getting ready for events that will be happening in the future (the more frightening option).

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    The WTS has also had a hard time recruiting new COs and DOs to replace the aging population.

ha..and there was me desperate to be a c.o. and continually being passed over for lesser qualified, boring, ugly, ill, merciless bros some of whom couldn't even drive.

most of them had problems wives.

and some of them were quite haughty too...

the irony just knocks me out

(i was also going to make the point that molybdenum made but molybdenum already made it so i wont)

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If this is true, GOOD RIDDANCE!

• garybuss
    garybuss

When I was a kid meetings were in a storefront on bums street between three bars. I always looked forward to the circuit servant visit. During the circuit servant's visit Witnesses behaved like they advertised they behaved instead of jerks like they normally were. It was a break in the normal routine. It wasn't a good break necessarily, but it was a welcome break nonetheless.

The bad part was more meetings and longer meetings. Schedules changed and that made the week go faster. I remember liking the circuit servants but the district servants were like Darth Vader to me.

We didn't have the elder situation like they have today. The groups were called companies and the leader was appointed by the publishing corporation. The leader was called company servant and the company was run by three guys, the company servant, the assistant, and the Bible study servant.

The book studies were managed by conductors and the work was all done by volunteers without designations.

The circuit servant visit started out with an ass chewing after the service meeting with the activity chart swung out on it's hinges. Saturday meeting was new things (returned) learned, and Sunday meeting ended with a pump up talk after the Watchtower magazine study.

By the end of the week I was glad to see it end. The next Tuesday, the Witness people had all the smiles put away and things were back to normal. The good thing was, there were no elders running around checking on people.

New people would come in, attend a few meetings and disappear, never to be heard from again. The core company group was virtually all born ins. The song book was green. Some of the songs were actually singable. The piano player only had three ringers on one hand, a feature that added interest to the melody no doubt.

• song19
    song19

Doesn't the CO rotation end this year (September)? And if so it would, in my mind, make sence to remove the CO arrangement before re-locating them all. just a thought.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Hooray! No more Circus Overseers.

Haughty b$stards.

• fresia
    fresia

They want to get rid of the old school CO's and replace them with local young trained in the elder and ministerial cold line corporal system.

They want young Sergent's and corporals. More control and indoctrination into the organization, rather than scriptures. I have noticed over the past few years nearly all WT studies mention the FDS and its position of authority.

The bottom line is its about control, with control the money comes, without that it goes. The WTS is going toward a more corporal organization, with a body of corporates running it like a business but with free labor.

Its all about control, especially of the young born in the truths, they are the new blood, the elders will become younger, and the young men will love the superiority, after all its a religion to most born in the truth, and these are the ones getting baptized in the western worlds.

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

This is crazy if it's true. I can't remember right now, but my uncle is either a district overseer or circuit overseer in Mexico... I'm gonna have to call my mom to find out. But he's like 60 years old, and he depends a lot on money from going KH to KH. Without this job privilege, I'm not sure what he's going to do. It should be interesting, whatever it is...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit