NEW: 2007 Yearbook (Cover, Letter from G.B. and pictures of them)

by What-A-Coincidence 68 Replies latest members private

• Wendy_Warden
    Wendy_Warden

Guy Pierce is an Elder? And here I always thought he was an actor. How disappointing...

alt

• fifi40
    fifi40

And the Foreword reads

"System going well, please send more money"

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Gayle,

When you knew Steve Lett how did he seem to you? Was he a hard-nose for JW policies or was he somewhat flexible? Just wondering how these younger guys are. I'm hoping some of them lean a little to the liberal side.

• blondie
    blondie

Effective September 1 st 2005 the Governing Body profile is as follows. The numbers next to the names are their ages.

John Barr - 92
    Carey Barber - 100
    Samuel Herd - 70
    Geoffrey Jackson - 50 (new as of 8/25/05)
    Theodore Jaracz - 80
    Steven Lett - 56
    Gerrit Lösch -63
    Anthony Morris - 55 (new as of 8/25/05)
    Guy Pierce - 70
    Albert Schroeder - 94 (deceased 2006)
    David Splane - 61
    Daniel Sydlik - 86 (deceased 2006)

• Gayle
    Gayle

That was 37 yrs ago then, I was in that book study group (assigned to Greenwich Village) of Brooklyn Heights Congregation, most of that group were new Bethelites (19 years olds and early 20's) going through in additon, a 6-mos "schooling" to "crash" read the Bible, going to additional lectures in the evenings, including tests and working 46 hours a/wk and some door to door,,then on completion would be re-assigned to other congregations in the City. Steve Lett was a book study conductor there and probably the youngest one of position in that congregation then. He was already a "partaker". It didn't seem that the "old" school of the "partakers" at Bethel were necessarily open arms to the young partakers. Steve never seemed to be uppity that I ever noticed. He was mature/serious for his age, but had a southern friendly tone and manner. We were all extremely busy, all probably sincerely devoted. Personally, I have nothing critical to say of Steve Lett in that short time. When I finished that course, I was re-assigned (I also requested) out to Midtown Manhattan where my brother was assigned. How Steve Lett is now, I don't know, of course. But in 37 years in all walks of life, people grow, evaluate their life/world. They make changes/decisions for and against issues. Some move on, some stay (some stuck,some deliberately remain). How people "stay", I personally cannot understand. I did not "leave" because of anything personal with any individual(s). I saw that in the early 70's, many of the governing body seemed initially of humble nature, probably mostly followers, but "believed" in that sytem. However, how they think they can "govern" millions of people who are out in the "real" world of employment, raising children (most of them haven't had children) and then time marching on now and seeing another generation, and not have a "crisis of conscience" and to not see a need for a big review/re-valuation/reality check only indicates arrogance, stubbornness, and selfishness.

• lawrence
    lawrence

SF-

Excellent!

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

Guy Pierce is on there because his son is richer than God and sends plenty of money. (Slight speculation - I do know his son and his financial status and the fact that he supports dad, mom and brother in Bethel). Honestly, Guy was my bookstudy conductor, and I found him very authoritarian, legalistic and holier than thou. Fits well, huh? His wife is a sweetie though.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Is there a scan of the yearbook anywhere yet?

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    When you knew Steve Lett how did he seem to you? Was he a hard-nose for JW policies or was he somewhat flexible? Just wondering how these younger guys are. I'm hoping some of them lean a little to the liberal side.

I liked Steve. Considered him a friend really.

No pretention in his character that I ever saw. But I would not call him 'liberal' by any stretch of the imagination. He had an honest concern for the witness brotherhood I believe. He told me he was 'scubbing toilets at Bethel' when he began to believe he was annointed. That seems a little prophetic in some ways.

Jeff

• SB
    SB

but are they really more important than the remaining "remnant"? if this isn't cultish, i don't know what is. i like how no women are providing spiritual food, yet, "women are a large army".

i love too, how their letter mentions the infamous 607 BCE date.

it was good to have a reminder this morning why i left.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit