so what are the "anointed" you know/knew like?

by nowisee 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• blondie
    blondie

I knew some that when they got into their 80's and 90's started slipping mentally. But when they were younger they resembled the non-anointed rank and file.

Only one sister comes to mind that could be labeled "eccentric."

I guess it depends on your age when you were in the WTS whether you knew any of the JWs that felt they were anointed when they were younger. All the ones I knew were pre-1935 except for one and he was still of that generation...a replacement anointed. Few if any of us know what it is like to be in a congregation where everyone was of the anointed (like the 1st century Christians). What I have heard from those at that time was the focus and personality of congregations were much different. Imagine everyone partaking except a few new unbaptized people.

Blondie

• thom
    thom

There was an old brother in my grandparents KH that was "anointed". He was always nice to me and I liked him. When I got older I would sometimes do something I knew was wrong and then I would think of him watching me and be ashamed (after he died of course).
    When I was a teen there was a younger guy (maybe 35 or so) that claimed to be of the anointed suddenly. For a couple of years there was talk that he couldn't really be, but he's been claiming so for now probably going on 25 years so most everyone agrees with him now. He always seemed quite normal (for a JW) to me. I never noticed anything particularly odd about him. He had a good sense of humor too.

• steve2
    steve2

I knew a handful of the "anointed" - or as the mean-spirited rank-and-file used to say in sniffy tones "the ones who claim to be of the anointed".

To a last one, the "anointed" I knew were harmless, likable people - mostly women. At least three of them were eccentric. One day out in field service, I was going door-to-door with an elderly "anointed" sister. She told me that she did not need to read the watchtower because she already knew what was going to be in it before it came out. I was young and keen-minded at the time and her statement unsettled me greatly, but I kept it to myself.

Years later, in a different context, another elderly sister was speaking to a group of us during breakfast before the assembly began. She made a similar statement. The other JWs just looked at one another knowingly and smiled. As we got up to leave, one of the older brothers turned to me ever so quietly and said, "Don't listen to her. She's mental."

• Confession
    Confession

Here's an excerpt from "My Story" that references my Dad...

I don’t recall Dad ever really talking about his being of the anointed. To this day, I see that as a sign of his humility. He’s never been the sort who looks for undue attention. Other people in our congregation used to ask me about it though.

“So what’s it like living with one of the anointed?” they’d ask, full of wonder.

“Is it true your father is of the Heavenly Class?”

I decided that, given there are so few anointed on earth today, they just don’t understand. Don’t understand that my Dad is just like everyone else’s. Maybe a little different; he’s intensely focused on preaching the good news. Other than liking to watch sports a bit and enjoying a round of golf or a bicycle trip, his life is focused on field service and sharing the experiences he has therein. On Saturdays—and many weekday evenings—he was almost always gone until late in the evening, on Bible studies. But other than that, he’s a normal human being. The way some of the friends spoke, you’d think angels were regularly floating down to our home for consultations with him.

At some point, perhaps around eight years old, I came to understand that this meant he wouldn’t be with us in the new system. I recall crying to Mom, asking why he would leave us. Mom was understanding, but tried to help me understand.

“He’s been given a great privilege. He’s going to be a King in Heaven.”

While this certainly sounded intriguing, I still didn’t know why, as a King, he wouldn’t be able to at least visit us once in awhile. Couldn’t he do that?

“Well, we don’t really know. Maybe he’ll be able to. But don’t worry about it, honey. By the time this happens you’ll be an old man, and you’ll understand better. You’ll be proud of him.”

This assuaged my feelings just a bit, but only temporarily. I remember, perhaps only a year or so later, being on a two day canoe trip with Dad, my uncle and cousin. A guide had pulled our old Chrysler station wagon up to the halfway point along the banks of the river, so instead of pitching a tent like my uncle and cousin did, we just put the back seat down and slept in the car. As we were falling asleep, I nestled up to Dad and implored tearfully, “Please don’t go to heaven!” I don’t think he responded to me in any other way than holding me and comforting me until I finally fell asleep.

I guess Dad didn’t really know what to say. How do you explain something like this to a nine year old? Like Mom, I imagine he just had faith that eventually I’d understand. And even though for a few years after this I still had to run to the Kingdom Hall bathroom and cry at every Memorial celebration, eventually I guess I did understand.

If you'd like to read the rest of it (with the advance warning that it's pretty long,) here it is...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/96377/1645996/post.ashx#1645996

Also, if you'd like to read the fascinating and hilarious story of one who used to profess to be of the anointed, I definitely recommend this link...

http://www.exjws.net/pioneers/partintro.htm

As I wrote earlier, I've never heard my dad say a single thing about being anointed. In 1974 he left his well-paying job and moved us all north to a little congregation in a tiny town "where the need was great." I was only about eight years old then and don't recall having heard anything about 1975, but now I realize that must've been a factor.

I wish I could agree that the anointed were all ambitious attention-seekers, but Dad just didn't fit that bill. He accepted a job just above minimum wage and submitted to a boss who, for more than 25 years, treated him very harshly and routinely made fun of him around the other workers. I would only hear of such things from my Mom. There was another interesting pattern over the years. Since he was "of the anointed," usually elder bodies and COs over time thought it best that he serve as PO. He did not think this necessary, but would accept. Then the occasional ambitious elder would come along and challenge Dad for the job. He'd always acquiesce.

I always thought my dad was a bit weird as a kid, and as a result we didn't have a good relationship. But I now see it was only because he was quite singularly focused on the organization. Field Service was pretty much what he wanted to do. He didn't spend a lot of time hob-nobbing, and despite the protests of my mother through the years, has chosen to remain in a humble modular home in the tiny town to which he (I'm sure) thinks Jehovah called him. He is not what you'd call a particularly gifted public speaker, although he does a pretty nice job. And while he loves to talk, I don't think anyone feels intimidated around him. They just get a kick out of his corny sense of humor. (The same humor that alwasy made me hunch down in my seat at the Kingdom Hall as a child when he'd use it onstage.) He's certainly humble, but it's not the contrived, false humility some people display.

When Mom & Dad became JWs in the very early 1950s, they would laugh at the idea that their newborn baby would ever need to actually start school. But three children later, I guess they stopped laughing. I have a vague recollection of my mother mentioning how they were so certain the end was here in 1966, the year I was born. I'll be forty in six months, my older brother will soon be fifty-three.

Recently, while talking with my 18-year-old daughter about some of the hard-headed and deceptive tactics employed by the Watchtower Society, she made the comment, "Well, give 'em fifty years." I guess my parents certainly have.

• exjdub
    exjdub

Back in the 70's there was this really old anointed brother in the Londonderry, NH Congregation named Bernie Sinkovich (sp?) He was very quiet, to the point where you almost forgot about him. But every once in a great while he would be called on to give the closing prayer at the Service Meeting. The problem was every prayer that this brother ever gave lasted 15-20 minutes. To a teenager, like myself, that was an eternity. Come to think of it, that is an eternity for anyone to have their head bowed in prayer. When Bernie got started he would thank Jehovah for everything under the sun. They always seemed to call on him for prayer when they were already running late, so it meant more torture. My heart would sink when he would be called on for closing prayer.

exjdub

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I only ever knew two who made this claim;

- one was a nice old lady.

- the other was notable only for his arrogance.

Jack.

• Honesty
    Honesty

The most significant 'annointed one' I know is my ex- sister-in-law. She is about 38 and is an expert at shunning. She is also a bible illiterate because, for her the WT takes precedent over any thing in God's Word. She does not know what to be born again means and has no interest in discussing it with any 'worldly' people. Hmmmm....

John the 3rd chapter helps me when I start thinking about JW's and their 'annointed ones'.

5 Jesus answered, “ I assure you: Unless someone is born of water and the Spirit,he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

7 Do not be amazed that I told you that you must be born again.
    8 The windblows where it pleases, and you hear its sound, but you don’t know where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”

9 “How can these things be?” asked Nicodemus.

10 “Are you a teacher of Israel and don’t know these things?” Jesus replied.

11 “ I assure you: We speak what We know and We testify to what We have seen, but you do not accept Our testimony.

12 If I have told you about things that happen on earth and you don’t believe, how will you believe if I tell you about things of heaven?

14 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up,

15 so that everyone who believes in Him will have eternal life.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I knew a lady who was kind, mellow and very focussed. Then she did something that I felt was so unchristian I couldnt believe it, it kinda knocked my faith at the time.

• Jordan
    Jordan

I've only ever known one annointed person, and she seemed alright, until I saw her smoking. I don't care what anyone else says, I know what I saw, her excuse was "I was holding it for someone". Bollocks she was, she was smoking, and both me and her knew it.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I knew 2 people that "claimed" to be annointed.

Both were unstable mentally. Real nut jobs!

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit