so what are the "anointed" you know/knew like?

by nowisee 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

When I was young there were several in the congregations. Our P/O (then called Congregation Servant ) was an elderly dapper little man who cycled everywhere . He was serious about his faith and a serious man who would give us kids a stern look if we made a noise. But he was also kindly and hard working. He had a really deep knowledge of the Bible and it just oozed out of him . I used to think it was the Holy Spirit but now I guess it was the product of a lifetime of reading and study.

My elder sister was able to know him better than me and he once told her that the "calling" was an unmistakable feeling that he could not put into words , He "Just knew" . He certainly had a deep love and respect for "The Lord" as he used to refer to Jesus.

I think that the older ones who were there in the pre 1935 days were sincere, after all, they were the rank and file of their day. The later ones must think that they are a cut above the rest so as to claim such a thing

• SallySue
    SallySue

The only annointed I knew in Memphis was a older man. He drove like a crazy person and it was said he drove like that because he wasn't afraid of dying as he was going straight to heaven.

• alreadygone
    alreadygone

The first one that I knew was a close family friend. He was very spiritual, but a great guy. Several years after he anounced that he was anointed, he announced that he actually wasn't. There was speculation that he wanted it so badly that he made it up. I remember being told that this was the unforgiveable sin "grieving the holy spirt". I remember thinking, why continue then if you know you aren't going to "get" anything out of it. I voiced that question and was told that maybe Jehovah would forgive him because he knew how much he wanted it and wasn't responsible for his actions. Whatever...

The second one was an A**hole. He was know for going around and asking all the young single brothers if they had a problem with masterbation. I couldn't stand him.

• findingmyway
    findingmyway

I knew of 2. One was a married elder. Very nice man. The other was an elderly woman who was a bit delusional. She eventually stopped coming to the meetings because her mental capacity was down to zero. People would find her wandering in the neighborhood and unaware of what was going on around her.

• steve2
    steve2
    I think that the older ones who were there in the pre 1935 days were sincere, after all, they were the rank and file of their day. The later ones must think that they are a cut above the rest so as to claim such a thing

I think this is a pretty fair summing up of the older breed of anointed JWs compared with the more recent additions who seem more like Rolex watches made in China. There was something unmistakably genuine about the depth of conviction that the older ones had - they were certainly less organization-minded and not afraid of speaking their minds - albeit within the framework of being seen as eccentric (it's amazing what they'll let you get away with if they attribute your views to an organic disorder!). I might have wondered about the soundness of their views, but I also admired their unshakable sense of who they were and "where" they really believed they were going. Yes, they also spoke about 'just knowing' they were destined to rule with Christ. Strangely, in that way they probably had much more in comon with traditional born again Christians than they would ever easily acknowledge. Ah, those were the days of deep spirituality and conviction, when impression management did not rule supreme.

• Margie
    Margie

Ugh, well, there's my grandfather and he's a prick.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Well let me add. I have just come back from the PA convention where two of those who claimed to be of the annointed were.!!!!They are the NICEST folks!!!! Kind, considerate, loving, they are helping SO many see the light at the end of the WT tunnell. So please!!! remember they were - where we were....They now know like us -we were all undermind control. Be kind in your remarks----they post on here.....REAL NICE FOLKS!!!! wish you could met em!!!! Come next year- you will.!!!!!Grace

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

She was sweet, funny, feisty, and inclined to be a bit rebellious toward WTS organisation protocol, lol.She didn't just say she was Christian, she demonstrated it tirelessly. I loved her to pieces.She was the type that if we would have run into each other after I left, she would have talked to me without thinking twice about it.I saw her do it repeatedly with disfellowshipped ones at the hall, and no one said a word to her about it.Not that she would have listened if they had-whenever she didn't want to do something, she just claimed her hearing aid was acting up;).She died shortly after I left, though. Rest in peace Evie:)

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

I knew two, one was a very old guy that was probably fairly well along into dementia when he died but a nice enough old bird.

The other was a serious wingnut who last I hear was in prision.

• horrible life
    horrible life

A very petite little old lady in our cong. You could tell she was probably very pretty in her day. So soft spoken. A true "Lady". 1974

Another, was in another cong. Dad gave alot of Sunday talks there. It was a younger brother, probably 35 or 40 then. He had red hair, and a pot load of red headed kids. He had just become annointed. I remember my mom making a comment about it. (kinda negative) HL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit