so what are the "anointed" you know/knew like?

by nowisee 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• Frog
    Frog

as a kid they all seemed rather super human to me, I would have killed to have know back then how they supposed Jehoba came to them in their dream...would still like to know how they justify it, all very bizarro.

one older woman (middle-aged when I was growing up) was the ultimate example in the congregation, so much so that no poor lay sister could live up to her...I found out just last year that she had been recently disfellowshipped for taking up with a "worldly" man and committing the unthinkable! How tragic, that she lived all those years alone trying to live up to an impossible expectation, and setting an example that made others feel inferior, only to be publicly shamed in such a way. Oh well, these are the choices we make...frog x

• greendawn
    greendawn

I met three, two of them were very decent people but at odds with the WTS leadership whom they critcised on several points and the third one was super rich and aqcuired his wealth after becoming a JW back in the fifties. Couldn't evaluate his character because he had suffered a stroke before I met him and he could not utter a word he was like a human vegetable being moved around on a wheelchair. His son however was very arrogant and offensive.

• GMahler
    GMahler

At the last congregation I was a part of, on of the elders considered himself to be of the anointed for many years. He was a middle aged man, very quite and unassuming. It seemed like he was assigned to deliver the Memorial talk every year. It was a sight to see everyone's eyes light up when he partook of the bread and wine, especially the kids. When I returned to that congregation after living in Baltimore for 2 years, he was no longer and elder and no longer considered himself of the annoited. He was never an arrogant person. He just kept to himself a lot. He gave great talks, but I always hated it whenever he was a substitute Watchtower study conductor. He would only call on me once and never look in my direction again. My uncle said that there was a women in his congregation who one day decided that she was of the anointed. He said at the first Memorial after she made her announcement, she refused to break the bread for herself. She said that a brother would have to break it for her. It caused quite a scene at that Hall because the young man who was holding the plate wouldn't break it. He kept insisting that she break it herslef. Finally, in frustration, one of the elders approaches them to see what the hold up is, breaks the bread and hands it to her just to keep things moving along.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

My grandmother....who came into the organization about 1910. My grandfather didn't claim to be. My grandmother definitely wore the pants in the family. She was a good person, but not particularly spiritual looking back... very strong personality.... She went in service, but never joined the ministry school...

Coffee

• Quentin
    Quentin

The few I knew were down to earth...all old timers...unasuming, quite and not the least bit in fear of the society...this was in the sixties all were in their seventies or eighties...how they would get along with todays WTS and BOE would be hard to say...don't think they would take any s--- from them, least the ones I remember wouldn't...

• zagor
    zagor

I remember meeting a sis when I was traveling through Germany who was one of them, she was in her 40's and had some mental disorder. I don't know if all of them have some issues but I remember hearing that high number or anointed is mainly due to many suffering some sort of mental illness.

• nowisee
    nowisee

thx again to all. the stories are all very interesting.

gmahler, that is a bizarre story. i just can't imagine. in my cong. the platter was passed containing all the crackers already broken. of course they were all returned minus possibly a crumb or two.

best wishes, nowisee

• zagor
    zagor
    I found out just last year that she had been recently disfellowshipped for taking up with a "worldly" man and committing the unthinkable!

I guess that means someone else can take her place in heavens

• steve2
    steve2
    Finally, in frustration, one of the elders approaches them to see what the hold up is, breaks the bread and hands it to her just to keep things moving along.

LOL and welcome GMahler. I can just picture it happening. I admire the elder's completely untroubled practical approach to the problem! If only the elders could demonstrate such admirable flexibility in other areas of their shepherding!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit