Being raised a witness has it's benefits...

by Princess 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

I actually have several reasons why I don't resent my witness upbringing, but it sure came in handy today.

Last year I posted about helping 50 kids run in the Seattle Kids Marathon at my daughter's school. The event was a blast and while it was a ton of work, seeing the joy on the kids' faces when they crossed the finish line made it all worth it.

This morning I spoke to the entire student body at my daughter's school at their monthly spirit assembly. If I hadn't been raised a witness, giving talks from the time I was five, I never would have attempted such a thing. It went well. I was nervous but kept telling myself they are just a bunch of kids (550 of them plus staff and probably 20-30 parents) and I had lots of props as well as eight kids who ran it with me last year whom I interviewed.

I'm very glad that part is over but it really went well.

I am co-president of the PTA as well. The other co-prez and I have to make a little presentation of an award to two staff members at each assembly. I introduced us and made my presentation to the teacher and then stepped back for my co-prez to present hers. She was standing in front of the mike not uttering a sound. I looked at her and she's muttering "help me out, help me out" so I did hers too. She was absolutely horrified that she couldn't do it but is quite terrified at the prospect of public speaking. If only she had been raised a witness too....

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

lol yeah I guess you could look at it that way.

• joelbear
    joelbear

i agree. i have very good public speaking abilities.

i also have very good persuasive abilities.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Public speaking is about "it". Well that, and not catching a STD before you get out if you behave.

I think most of us raised by "moral" parents who had boundries and expectations would have done well raised 'in" or 'out'. Truly dysfunctional parents wont benefit from any religion in my opinon and I think many ex JW's may agree.

Great to be involved, isnt it ? Be glad you take part in your kids life...much better than JW life isnt it?

~Hill

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    If only she had been raised a witness too....

LOL awe now I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!

I have had those times in my life where I've relied on my JW training of public speaking. I've found that I've not only had less fear of public speaking but also due to writing and giving talks I'm better prepared than some. At least I found this in some college courses I've taken where we've had to give presentations in front of the class. Nothing like using an outline!

It's helped me in my current job as well to go up to total strangers and offer them help with their shopping selections. My supervisor has several times complimented me on my friendly approach which I can give credit to training in the door to door work.......ugg but it's true! Hey not much difference between selling books/mags and selling clothing eh? I also don't have many regrets for being raised a JW. For my dysfunctional family it was probably a good thing we had some kind of structure to an otherwise chaotic upbringing.

• kid-A
    kid-A

Fair enough, but I know TONS of horrible public speakers in the WTS!! So mind-numbingly dull they could put you into a coma. I agree it forces you to build up confidence and poise, even if you are in the "Josef Goebbels Watchtower Propaganda School" LOL

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

I have heard this before, and understand the thinking, but I can't get past the idea that I lost a lot more than I ever gained by being raised in the borg.

• vitty
    vitty

I was really good when I did my "talks" and always got a good, but was really crap when I had to do a WT and awake presentation on the platform, I remember doing an avon party and had to give a presentation to about 10 women, I nearly lost it, dry mouth, forgetting what i needed to say.

Also my son who started giving talks at the age of 7 and was really good, is now socially behind and is so shy he cant speak to anyone in a social setting.

So im sorry but to me it aint got no benefits !!!!!

But I think its great what you are doing and if your experiences help kids then good luck to you

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I was not raised as a JW.

However, I, too agree that the only benefit that I gained from having once been a JW was learning public speaking:

- I am naturally a shy person. It was the Ministry School that enabled me to overcome this shyness when speaking to a group.

(not at the doors, though - I always was, and still am, a bloody hopeless salesman!)

Still, it would be fair to say that this was a terribly expensive course in Public Speaking.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Way to go, Prin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit