Being raised a witness has it's benefits...

by Princess 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

OK fair enough. It wasn't ALL good being a witness kid but I do appreciate the practice in public speaking.

It's not for everyone. Some people will never get over the fear and that's OK. I told my co-prez that we'll just plan on me doing one and she will do the other. If she can't do it, I'll do it. Maybe by the end of the year she'll be comfortable enough to do it, maybe not. That's why there are two of us. Share the responsiblity.

• bisous
    bisous

*waves at Princess*

understand your point, but must say that public speaking skills can and SHOULD be obtained in a variety of other manners besides being raised in a cult.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

being raised a jw helped me in that i was able to jump into sales jobs and do real well..as well as being able to take critisim in sales meetings " DO MORE DO MORE DO MORE"

it was all kind of familiar ya know? lol

• Es
    Es

I agree, it did equip us with things like public speaking and other things for our life now.

es

• Nick
    Nick

Great! It's wonderful that you're active in your children's school activities.

Hmmmm -- public speaking? Public speaking is a requirement in most colleges, including community colleges. Just think, it would have only taken a semester instead of 20 years.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I have benefited from Witness sales training by being able to close 144,000 ways . . . at least. There aren't a lot of 7 year old kids who know how to set up an alternate choice close, counter objections, and then close with a soft close. If ya can sell a Watchtower magazine to a pissed off Catholic on Saturday morning, you can sell anything to anybody.

• zagor
    zagor
    If ya can sell a Watchtower magazine to a pissed off Catholic on Saturday morning, you can sell anything to anybody.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Way to go Rachel! I wouldn't wish being a JW on anyone either, but like you, I see many positives in that twisted upbringing called Andi's childhood. I was a publisher by the age of 8 and very good at it. Naturally outgoing, field service was fun for me. Joining the TMS at 10 was also fun. I enjoyed public speaking and like my father, I was good at it. It's proved to be very useful in my adult life/career. I can talk to almost anyone in any setting and not be uncomfortable. I think one day I will attempt to teach my children those same skills at an early age. Public speaking is such an amazing negotiating skill in the work force nowadays. At a wedding, I actually saw a maid of honor stand up in front of the wedding guests, freeze, give her written speech (for the toast) to the next bridesmaid and run to the bathroom to throw up. Poor girl.

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

First, I know many good public speakers who were never dubs.

Second, I was in MS from age 8 until I was forty-two and I'm still a bad public speaker.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Wow, you are really something! Thanks for sending me the link to this.

**proud mama bursting her buttons**

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit