Being raised a witness has it's benefits...

by Princess 34 Replies latest jw friends

• codeblue
    codeblue

That is ONE of my proudest points:

Being on the Theocratic Ministry School for 30 years.................

I am an accomplished speaker, not afraid of People........I am great at sales and marketing.........Everybody who knows me, knows I am great at that!!! People that are getting to know me, are amazed that I can work a "room" the way I do...

Positives to negatives (in being in a cult).......you betcha!!!

That is training that even Toast Masters can't give you.................

Codeblue

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'm sure this will sound a tad arrogant, since it's you we're talking about, and you know you, but I'm of the opinion that your successes in life since leaving the witnesses (such as running marathons and taking an active assertive role in various things) have probably done as much or more for your speaking ability as all your years as a witness.

I hear this argument often, from ex witnesses and witnesses alike. But I think they'd be good public speakers anyway. Yes, the practice doesn't hurt, but the theocratic ministry school format sucks for just about anything more than just that, practice.

I sucked as a public speaker from my first talk to my last talk. I knew it, they knew it. That I did good research (well, for a witness) and took a slightly interesting "angle" on the topic at hand (well, again...for a witness) was a relief to those who felt the need to pat me on the back... they didn't have to lie and say my delivery was any good, lol.

Relatively speaking, I could go into a KH and kick ass in delivering a talk today, as compared to when I was a witness. I've found that I am less nervous in front of an auditorium of strangers, asking questions of a famous person, or even being interviewed for a TV show that I knew would be seen by millions, than I was in front of 15 people in the "second school".

Just my take on it.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

Sixofnine - I beg to differ with you there!

Nothing that I did before becoming a JW - nor anything that I have done since leaving them - have done anything for my public speaking skills.

These days, I do use the skills I learned on the Ministry School (flawed as these may or may not be).

Once again, though - I stress that this is the ONLY benefit that I took away from the WTS Madness.

- Also, I would repeat: - it was a frightfully expensive course in public speaking!

Jack.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I've found that I am less nervous in front of an auditorium of strangers, asking questions of a famous person, or even being interviewed for a TV show that I knew would be seen by millions, than I was in front of 15 people in the "second school".

Six, I remember seeing you on TV, and yelling at the TV, that you were the guy we met in Florida. That was cool. (documentary on JFK assassination............Six was a photographer used in the show, to photograph recreations of the event)

You make some good points about public speaking. For Rachel, though, she was always a very shy child and when she started giving talks at the KH, she definitely changed into someone with more confidence in herself.

Both opinions have validity.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Six, I remember seeing you on TV, and yelling at the TV, that you were the guy we met in Florida. That was cool. (documentary on JFK assassination............Six was a photographer used in the show, to photograph recreations of the event)

When Mozz and I found out the show was airing, we had some friends over (conspiracy type believing friends), popped popcorn and watched. Everyone else was watching the show, but Mozz and I were looking for all the Sixy shots. LOL!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

[quote]For Rachel, though, she was always a very shy child and when she started giving talks at the KH, she definitely changed into someone with more confidence in herself.

Both opinions have validity.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm sure; probably has alot to do with how you feel about your place in the congregation and all. But people like my friend Perry *waves at Perry* say this too, and I think "dude, you would be comfortable in front of a crowd no matter what!".

Then there's all those witnesses who think they are good speakers, via their time in the M/School, when in fact they are boring, crappy public speakers, lol.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Then there's all those witnesses who think they are good speakers, via their time in the M/School, when in fact they are boring, crappy public speakers, lol.

Isn't that the truth??

For the record, I was also a very shy child, and when I learned the females could give talks (I was 12), I was horrified. It took me a year, to get the courage to join the school. My mother didn't push it at all, knowing how shy I was. Somewhere along the line, my shyness was overcome, and I am basically very much an extrovert. Whether the school had anything to do with or not, is up for debate. Maybe I just matured and gained confidence. I always thought the TMS was a big factor though.

Rachel is still basically an introvert (those personality tests, is what I am basing this on). She is much like her father, who is also an introvert, but an excellent public speaker.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I get your point and agree with you.

Also, having been brought up as a JW taught me to dress nicely for different occasions, to be disciplined, respectful of my elders, courteous, have courage in the face of opposition, avoid smoking and drugs, learned to read/write/speak Spanish perfectly by the mere fact of having attended so many meetings/assemblies/events with the Spanish crowd, etc.

Yes, there are many, many benefits to have been brought up a JW, although I'm not a very good 'practicing' one.

It's not ALL bad.

DY

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Yeah, I suppose someone in the Hitler youth movement learned some good things too, how to be physically fit, grooming, basic survival skills, yeah, growing up in the Nazi youth movement probably wasn't all bad either.

Nothing learned as a JW couldn't have been learned somewhere else without all the crap that went along with it.

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

Hmmmm.. I don't like this type of argumentation.

I'm sure there are benefits to becoming a terrorist too. Ya know, with all their training and what not. I'm sure they become disciplined and able to channel out the outside world. And they are really good at hiding things in their clothing.

Sign me up (ya right)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit