Why naturalism is irrational

by Shining One 369 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Um, Caedes, I allow for even sharp disagreement within the paradigmatic constraints. Why do you think so many skeptics bash [LittleToe's] beliefs in the same way, although they've never met? That was FunkyDerek's question I was attempting to answer...if you disgree that his question has merit, don't put me in the middle . Especially if you think it might be dangerous .

Never witnessed a skeptic's catfight before. Should prove interesting. I await the outcome with bated breath. Now, combatants, to your corners. Keep it clean and come out swinging!

Respectfully,

OldSoul

• Shining One
    Shining One

>We don't agree on anything.

Sometimes we Christians do not either....
    Rex

• jgnat
    jgnat

Isn't the real question, does the arguer want to polarize or reach a consensus? Any one can reach for consensus if they are ready to modify a treasured belief. A river of thought if you will, both ends open with fresh ideas added daily. No stagnation of thought.

If the goal is only to preserve current thinking, the result is set concrete.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

I like that woman, I tells ya'!

jgnat , your economy of expression is a welcome respite from my longwindedness. Beautifully put!

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

P.S. I would like to see the "Fundy Map" demonstrate the style of thought, rather than specifically relate to religious fundamentalism. In my opinion, the invoked authority could be anything if the resulting impact on the thought pattern is the same.

• jgnat
    jgnat

You mean, like, radical groups? Like Greenpeace, PETA, and Radical Women's Lib? Where are all those protesters coming from who stalk the G8 conferences? Who organizes them? Hoo yeah. We have a whole new generation of non-critical opinion makers, and they ain't fundies.

Can you spot the similarities?

• Caedes
    Caedes
    Um, Caedes, I allow for even sharp disagreement within the paradigmatic constraints. Why do you think so many skeptics bash [LittleToe's] beliefs in the same way, although they've never met? That was FunkyDerek's question I was attempting to answer...if you disgree that his question has merit, don't put me in the middle . Especially if you think it might be dangerous .

Never witnessed a skeptic's catfight before. Should prove interesting. I await the outcome with bated breath. Now, combatants, to your corners. Keep it clean and come out swinging!

I was making a lighthearted comment but if you insist, I am skeptical of most things really but I see little wrong with a belief system if it provides a structure to someones life or moral system that they might not otherwise have had. Is it delusional? who's to say that is any more delusional than any other belief system? There is in my opinion no more evidence for god than there is for unicorns, but that in no way disproves the idea it merely means there is no evidence to back the idea. I would agree that my feeling that there is no god is a belief and is as open to debate and argument as any other belief system.

As to why skeptics bash a belief system I suppose for the same reason some believers feel the need to preach about their beliefs, from a skeptical point of view believing in god is the same as believing in fairys and unicorns in much the same way a believer's point of view would paint a skeptic as leading a hollow life without direction or hope. Both are strong emotive responses to what is perceived as "wrong thinking" So there is no merit in either the original question or the answer since both are an argumentum ad populum(since both make the case that lots of people believe in their respective viewpoints) Let's face it though, whatever you believe (or know come to that) you should be prepared to be able to argue your case logically and consistantly if you really believe it.

Personally I think most people probably are deluded (on both sides of the fence) as a result of modern day life but we can only live our lives based on our experiences so it doesn't matter if we are deluded and the world was created last thursday. I will still carry on living as if my experiences are real since it is the only thing I can do. I am sure that to a believer the supernatural things they experience are real, unfortunately when those experiences are subject to an objective study they tend to vanish.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    >We don't agree on anything.

Rex

Yeah we noticed, the middle east may never be the same.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Caedes,

I was just kidding, not insisting at all! I enjoyed your post, though. It seems that from different sides of the fence our perspectives about reality and delusion are as similar as could be reasonably expected.

I thought you were kidding, I was kidding back. I got this hilarious mental image of you and FunkyDerek squared of in a skeptics deathmatch, no holds barred.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Does this include "Naturalismist Beaches?"

Rub a Dub

• Caedes
    Caedes
    I got this hilarious mental image of you and FunkyDerek squared of in a skeptics deathmatch, no holds barred.

I'm afraid in keeping with the skeptics code of honour it shall be pistols at dawn in a gentlemanly manner. I only get medievil with the believers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit