Why naturalism is irrational

by Shining One 369 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Rex, it's my assertion, after investing a lot of time and money on researching the subject of the historicity of Jesus, is that a man likely existed that the Jesus story is based on. He may have lived around 60-70 BCE or may have lived 90 years later. There may also have been men that the Abraham, Moses, and David stories are built upon that existed and had some import. But nothing suggests to me that they were anything more important in a universal, destinial sense than the Buddha, or Mohammed, or Achilles. There exist many reasons why christianity stuck to western culture, and it isn't because the belief (or faith) is any more valid.

And that said, here approaching the year 2006 CE, I see no compelling reason for any faith in any gods to sway my life's decisions, and after all that study, I honesty don't care if Jesus existed, if he was God, if he IS God, etc etc. I'd have to intellectually fool myself to be a believer, and I can't live like that.

If I'm wrong, may your god have mercy on me.

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

Shining One....with the verasity that you post your topics....you desperately seem to be trying to convince yourself how "rational" your own belief system is. I find it offensive when people post how silly, irrational, or inane someone else's beliefs are. Perhaps if you spent less time dismissing other's beliefs you might just find a more receptive audience.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Rex

>So, you agree you might not be right? That, maybe, another version of Christianity is "righter"? Or maybe another religion altogether? Or maybe us horrid humanists?

Let me put it this way: I have a relationship with the risen Lord. I can only assert that though I do believe it with all of my heart. I cannot prove that to anyone else. I can and will point to facts that I believe back up my assertions.

So far so fair, given that we will inevitably disagree on interpretation of facts or whether some things are facts.

How does your belief structure allow you to understand and deal with a person with a similarly styled but incompatable belief? For example if someone said;

"I have a relationship with the Lord Vishnu. I can only assert that though I do believe it with all of my heart. I cannot prove that to anyone else. I can and will point to facts that I believe back up my assertions."

... where is the difference between the demonstrable accuracy of your faith and theirs?

Likewise, if someone is also a Christian and claims also a realtionship with Jesus, but has a different set of beliefs (for example, more liberal ones where much scripture is seen as allegorical or influenced by the writer's culture, but where the belivers faith in Jesus is no way deminished)

... where is the difference between the demonstrable accuracy of your faith and theirs?

What I am driving at, or course, is that as far as FAITH and belief-based paradigms (as distinct from fact-based paradigms) go, ignoring subjective validation (that many belivers will claim to) as it is unverifiable, one is left with an awful lot of different faiths, each held with equal sincerity, most of which are incompatable with each other.

What makes you think that YOUR relationship with Jesus is so much better that you are right where others who claim this relationship are wrong, or what makes you think others claiming to a personal relationship with Jesus or Vishunu are lying and you are not in any way decieved? That's exactly what some of them think!

I do not accept any assertion that limits my use of history, science or the logical reasoning that is the basis for hermeneutics with regards to 'why I believe as I do'. It is my obligation to use whatever ethical means to defend my beliefs.
    • Was you saying you had studied evolution and then showing you really have a very inadequate knowledge of even the basic theory an "ethical means" to defend your beliefs? You do realise if you accept the point I am making here (i.e.; don't bullshit me), then we can out this to one side?
    • Do you feel suggesting that evolutionary theory is in crisis and will shortly be displaced almost world-wide by ID is a reasonable assertion to make when you've not been able to back this assertion up?
    • Do you feel making the automatic assumption (as you do) that if modern science and the the Bible disagree, then the Bible is automatically right is reasonable, even when with some instances (for example the Flood) it is provable beyond reasonable doubt (pyramids, bristlecone pines) that no global flood could have occured at the dates the Bible specifies?

It is your persistant and intractable refusal to accept what the majority of informed people accept as facts if those facts conflict with YOUR INTERPRETATION of the Bible, it is the very fact that you "do not ... accept any assertion that limits [your] use of history [and] science", even when you have to ignore history or twist science that red flags your beliefs for being as personal and unprovable as they are.

Yet still you assume you are right.

>So what if we don't validate your paradigm? You accept your paradigm FROM FAITH, not evidence, don't you?

The beginning of my faith comes from the historicity of Jesus Christ. It is not circular reasoning. It begins with a person and not a notion. See R.C. Sproul for that basic reasoning.

Whether Jesus was historical is scarsely relevent. What if all he was was a fire-brand who got nailed to a tree, and THEN had his life "borrowed" by "men of faith" who wrote all the bits that made him a candidate for the Messiah? Add in a few centuries of reasonable growth, and then the happy coincidence that as the Roman Empire developed, the god-head of Ceaser ceased to be credible to men, so a new state religion, to keep the diverse Empire together was needed, and Christianity beat-out the competitors as it was more inclusive (slaves, women, non-millitary) than other candidates?

What is relevent is objective proof of Jesus' divinity. That you can't provide.

And the eye-witness accounts; do me a favour. Look at the bullshit over the plane that hit the Pentagon, the well-subscribed to conspiracy theories which hold together when made by those making them. If it is possible to manufacture well-subscribed to ficticious beliefs in the 21st Century with modern news-media, I think doing the same in the 1st Century would be easier.

I do see what you are saying though and I am not superior to anyone here. I appreciate your outreach to me.

And I appreciate you actually taking what I am saying onboard - I don't expect a "Road FROM Damascus moment".

I realize that there is subjective evidence for my faith in Christ and I cannot prove that He is God. I can only show you my reasoning and try to convince you (and others) to investigate the case for Christ, the case for creation and the case for faith......the author, Lee Strobel would be an excellent read to get you started.

Look, individual authors will not suddenly make me go jolly gee. It's like me thinking pointing out "the pyramid at Geza was there before the dates of the Global Flood therefore the Bible is not accurate as obviously the Flood didn't happen" is suddenly going to make you give-up your beliefs.

What are Strobel's arguments to explain how, if evolution isn't so, how the available evidence fits it so well, both current and ancient? I know ANYONE can pick at loose threads, but the wharp and weft of modern scientific theory is so vast that these little picks, even when made accurately and knowledgably, only show we don't know it all yet but we got a pretty damn good general idea (as when a piece is picked at, the rest isn't at risk of unravelling).

You also seem to think that believing YOUR way is the only credible way. There are MILLIONS who believe in Jesus, but just happen to believe the reason modern science and the creation account clash is that the creation account was an allegory cobbled together by a goat herd.

It is your refusal to acceept this as a even a possibility - when to do so wouldn't deminish your faith one iota (unless you are willing to argue those that do believe this have less faith) - I find hardest to understand. It's like you don't want god unless he's like he is portrayed in the Bible - when you can't definatively prove the Bible is an accurate portrayal.

I don't know if you will like them but there they are!

I like them because we are actually talking decently.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Rex, I'm just curious. You don't like Bishop Spong, right? Ever read "The Christian Agnostic" by Leslie Weatherspoon? It's sorta along the same lines of reasoning as Spong's "Rescuing the Bible..." Since they are professed Christians. what's your major beef with them as opposed to say, me, who's suffering, but an adamant non-believer, yet you have nice things to say to me?

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

I have not american chinese food in awhile, so, I thought that Tetrapod's stir fry sounded very tasty!

Shining One uses accusatory language and insults to portray the real scientific community as "dogmatic" The quoted material cited in his post merely proves that science is not dogmatic, not claiming to have discovered the final truth of any matter regarding the origins of life. Rather, in a very RATIONAL, BALANCED and PRACTCAL way, science continues searching, experimenting and investigating all evidence and establish connections to arrive at logical conclusions.

The conclusions are helpful to us in theorizing, and possibly determing the methods and events that occurred during the beginning of life. Nowhere do scientists claim the absolute, definite, and exact final answer to every question about origins. Rather, science, unlike religion, is willing to continue performing the arduous task of never-ending research and simple hard work that it takes to discover, catalog and link new evidence and information so that plausible ideas can be presented, tested and compared with existing knowledge.

Religion is a closed matter. There is very little light in a dark closet, and little air. I would rather wait another thousand years for additional discoveries and new information than succumb to religious control, fear and superstition and conduct a life of paranoia. If your religious god exists, simply show yourself and prove us all worng. Don't bother wasting my time with a ridiculous quote from any book written by humans too lazy to study and discover what nature and the universe has to offer us. If I were a god, you would know it.

• Shining One
    Shining One

We can deal with this first:

* Was you saying you had studied evolution and then showing you really have a very inadequate knowledge of even the basic theory an "ethical means" to defend your beliefs? You do realise if you accept the point I am making here (i.e.; don't bullshit me), then we can out this to one side?

You lost me here, sorry.

* Do you feel suggesting that evolutionary theory is in crisis and will shortly be displaced almost world-wide by ID is a reasonable assertion to make when you've not been able to back this assertion up?

Did I say, 'shortly'? That may or may not be so. In time? Yes, I believe it will and is already on its way out. By the use of the scientific method it is 'always on its way out' (macro-evolution). It simply does not hold up to scrutiny. For decades the skeptics have used hyper criticism to lampoon scripture. Evolution is just as 'holy', in fact it is more so and takes more 'faith' to believe it than believe in God.

* Do you feel making the automatic assumption (as you do) that if modern science and the the Bible disagree, then the Bible is automatically right is reasonable, even when with some instances (for example the Flood) it is provable beyond reasonable doubt (pyramids, bristlecone pines) that no global flood could have occured at the dates the Bible specifies?

Do you know how difficult it is to translate the hebrew letter number system into our numeration? I do not always hold to the reliability of translations on this. Oh, btw, I.D. uses the same observations and evidences as naturalism, but with different presuppositions. We have what is called a 'wash', neither theory can be proved.
    Rex

• Shining One
    Shining One

Hi Abaddon.
    >How does your belief structure allow you to understand and deal with a person with a similarly styled but incompatable belief? For example if someone said;
    "I have a relationship with the Lord Vishnu. I can only assert that though I do believe it with all of my heart. I cannot prove that to anyone else. I can and will point to facts that I believe back up my assertions."

Strength of evidence, historical, secular and prophetic. Is the analogy actually possible? Can one have a 'relationship' with Vishnu?

>Likewise, if someone is also a Christian and claims also a realtionship with Jesus, but has a different set of beliefs (for example, more liberal ones where much scripture is seen as allegorical or influenced by the writer's culture, but where the belivers faith in Jesus is no way deminished)

Of couse that is subjective on a case by case basis. There are too many variable factors. There are a set of beliefs in orthodoxy that are core and non-negotiable. Those beliefs are what really divide a Christ-believer and a JW or a Mormon.

>What I am driving at, or course, is that as far as FAITH and belief-based paradigms (as distinct from fact-based paradigms) go, ignoring subjective validation (that many belivers will claim to) as it is unverifiable, one is left with an awful lot of different faiths, each held with equal sincerity, most of which are incompatable with each other.

They ARE incompatible and to say different is a 'suicidal argument': they all cannot lead one to God because they deny the other belief systems as having salvific truth. I can see that Chrsitianity has much more evidence than any other belief system and it answers the BIG QUESTIONS better than any other. Son, you need to read some C.S. Lewis!
    Rex

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Rex:

Son, you need to read some C.S. Lewis!

OMG! Noooooooo!!!

Lewis wrote to a specific audience and generation. His arguments really aren't that watertight for someone in the 21st Century. Interesting, sure, but not watertight. Waving that in front of Gyles is like waving a red flag in front of a bull...

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

LT, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I admire your spirit of fairness.

I goofed up there. I meant Leslie Weatherhead.

• Shining One
    Shining One

>Do merry-go-rounds have nuances?
    The nuance of your 'merry go round' is that it never stops yet never gets anywhere!
    >I do think it is directly to point. You condemn all Communists and Trade-unionists.
    I am a 'trade unionist' and I deny the validity of marxism along with the greed inherent in capitalism.
    >You dismiss me too, as an athiest-loving-lukewarm-questionable-christian-in-your view.
    I love atheists while vehemently denying their assertions: I point them to Christ and salvation while also warning them that hell is real. I do not 'sugar coat' things to be popular, nor do I compromise on solid Biblical doctrine.
    >You attacked me before you knew me, based on my association alone.
    I defended my self in apologia' and also noted that the Lord you serve has been betrayed by your refusal to accept the truth of scripture and established rules of interpretation that are universal to ALL types of literature.
    >A fellow Christian, by every definition (yours and mine) regretted his own lack of concern for the very people you condemn.
    Who is more concerned, one who warns of the pit ahead or one who stays quiet hoping they don't fall into the pit?
    Rex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit