Where were you on the a.m. of 9/11/01?

by rebel8 61 Replies latest jw friends

• Nina
    Nina

I was on JWD. Really. :)

I had just signed on and I saw a post by MadApostate saying Turn on the TV...

I didn't believe the thread title, I didn't believe the post...then other people started posting about it...

I spent the next 13 hours in chat.

Wish I had a transcript of that day's chat.

I remember chat moving so terribly fast that I couldn't read it fast enough and keep up with the conversation. There was a ridiculous amount of people in chat that day. Over 40 or so, I seem to remember.

Simon or other board mods, is it possible to get a transcript of chat from that day???

You know, that chat transcript has to be worth *something*! (Maybe people could pay for copies and the money could go to the Quotes Defense Fund?

Nina (who can't figure out how to make the quote box appear when quoting a quote within a quote!)

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

I haven't read all the posts, just too tired tonight. But I did have a dream 'the night of' here on the west coast, of a plane hitting the towers (much less 2 planes!). but it was not as devastating as what actually did happen.But, I must add, the concern of more was imminent. sadly, that is was was to become true. So, where was I? Watching the early news then going to bed...to dream.

• nowisee
    nowisee

9/11 was such a traumatic day for me -- i remember coming here and checking back to the date but nothing much seemed to have happened here. it seemed very strange to me.

soledad -- i read your story -- my heart goes out to you -- what a terrible day.

i was at home. i was living in the attic while contractors were doing work on my house. i came downstairs and one of them asked me if i knew a plane had hit the wtc. i had not and we turned on the television in the downstairs lr. the workers, my husband and i watched as the second plane hit live. i said, "all those people in there are dead." i could not watch anymore and went out to walk it off, but took my headphones with me as my husband turned the tv off and the contractors went back to work.

as i walked i heard -- the pentagon hit -- the first tower collapse --. it was my normal routine walking route and i saw someone that i saw almost every day and i asked him, "have you been listening to the radio??" he said, yes, and that he was so happy, he was waiting for something like this to happen, he had been in viet nam and hated the us government. "but what about all the innocent people?" i asked. he just shrugged.

i never forgot this person, who i run into periodically. i contemplated reporting him to the police in the wake of 9/ll.

when i got home i told my husband all the subsequent bad news -- the pentagon -- the collapse. we turned on the tv in time to see the second tower collapse live.

my husband's sister had moved from the west to about 2 hrs away from us that very week and he promised that he would help her move in on 9/11. he was preparing to go and i was begging him not to go -- who knew what would happen next???? i was terrified.

he said he had to go and he did. meanwhile i went to the back and withdrew cash, bought bottled water, filled the gas tank. i live within eyesight of wtc and as i went about my rounds noticed that the state police were lined up along the highway...about 10 cars in a row. don't know what they were prepared to do but they were there -- just waiting -- for what? something else that never happened.

what a bizarre, terrible, sad, traumatic day.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Though I'm south african & wasn't there in the flesh, I remember coming our of a meeting to deathly silence - I worked at the main newspaper group for South Africa & we had televisions & live feeds piping through. I walked up to the TV and was absolutely stunned - I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The mad rush after that to get these stories on the front pages & move ads around was stupendous. The photos that we got were more than heart wrentching.

• jillbedford
    jillbedford

I was at work too. The business for the day went dead.

For a moment I thought, I was wrong and the witnesses were right. Here we go, Armageddon.

Then, I decided to try to do something. I left work to donate blood. Something I never did before.

The 9/11 tragedy brought home very bad memories again as I was raped by 5 men from Irag in February of 1998. I felt like those same people had raped the whole country this time.

Our company fell into hard financial times that we struggled with and are still struggling with.

Since then, I have run the 9/11 memorial 5k every year and will never miss it for the rest of my life.

I will never forget.

• Erich
    Erich

Hi Simon.

Is it possible to find out the long thread of the first (btw main-) discussion about the 09/11-disaster here on this board? I tried it in vain.

E.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ
    Throwing the pork to the Ol' Lady.

Thats disturbing. LMAO

It was the afternoon over here, but i was working. I was on the phone to a colleague in London and he told me something major was going off- he was watching a TV at a customers business premisis.

He was actually servicing a vending machine in the london hotel where the police did a raid for one of the suspects soon after.

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

{{{{jillbedford}}}}

• pratt1
    pratt1

I had just gotten off the ferry from Jersey City into the WTC wheen the first plane hit. I just didn't believe my eyes. Debris, bodies and furniture was falling out of the sky.

I was stuck on the concourse of the WTC and after staring in the sky for minutes I finally ran to my office.

I was scheduled to be at a meeting in tower 2 from at 8:30, but because my department was being audited, I cancelled my attendance on the Friday before.

Out of the 20 people at the meeting, only 8 survived. The meeting was on the 98th floor.

I still get the shivers when I think of that day.

My new motto: "live everyday to the fullest, it may be your last."

• nowisee
    nowisee

jillbedford --

i am so sorry for what you have been through. my heart goes out to you.

pratt1 - truer words were never spoken.

live now, and have no regrets.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit