Where were you on the a.m. of 9/11/01?

by rebel8 61 Replies latest jw friends

• findingmyway
    findingmyway

I was at work in a closed-door meeting with my manager when someone barged in to tell us that a plane had hit one of the towers. Our initial reaction was to the fact that they walked in and interrupted our meeting. Then, we looked at each other in disbelief and tried to continue our meeting, but couldn't get those words out of our heads so we went to find the first television that could get reception for a local news station and sure enough we were watching with our own eyes as the first tower went up in flames. Then we saw the second one hit. It was unbelievable.

I work in downtown DC, so when we later heard the news that a plane had hit the Pentagon just a few miles away from us we thought that it was a rumor to scare people out of the area. We ran to one of the partner's offices and we could see the smoke billowing up from where the plane hit the Pentagon. When we started hearing reports of plans to hit the White House, which is just a few blocks away from where we work, we began our exodus out of downtown DC. The streets were crowded with people walking home because they couldn't rely on public transportation and cars fighting to get past the people walking in the streets who were not obeying traffic signals in an attempt to get home.

It was a mess. I walked miles to catch a ride home...a ride that should have taken 20 minutes took over 2 hours. When I finally got home I stayed glued to the television and imprisoned in my home for a couple of days. The terror of it all was way too close to home, and the visions of people in NYC still haunt me today.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I was home watching GMA when the news break reported the first tower to be hit. When I saw the size of the hole left in the building, I was shocked. I didn't think it would stand up for long. And I knew several people died with no warning.

Then, I watched the second plane hit the other tower, and right then, the cable went out. I KNEW our country was being attacked. I was freaking out.

I was able to watch CNN, where I heard about the plane which left Newark airport then crashed in PA. Starting really freaking out because the news just said PA, not where in PA. Most of my family lives in that state, so I was scared.

When I realized a plane hit the Pentagon, I asked myself, "what's next?".

• JH
    JH

I was giving my cat a walk outside my apartment building, and when I came back inside, the TV was on and I saw NYC and smoke coming out of the first building, and not long after I see a plane crash into the second building. It looked so unreal to see this happening live, that I thought it was some kind of visual trick...but no..

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

I was at work, hurrying to get things done because I had a class to get to. The radio was on, and one of the deejays came on and said that something awful had happened in NY, that it was not a joke (this station was known for pulling lots of pranks, you could never take what they said seriously.) Then a reporter who was in NYC came on and started telling us about the first plane crashing into the tower. While she was talking, I suddenly heard a lot of screaming, possibly a crash- the second plane had hit. So I knew it was no accident.

I ran across the room to call my bf at his job a few blocks away from me. I told him someone had just declared war on us, but I didn't know who yet. Went to my first class of the day (what else was there to do?) and when the other classes got cancelled, I spent the day at my mom's, watching the news. Went home and hugged my landlord and his boyfriend, we said a prayer together for those poor people. I turned off the President's speech halfway through, as I was just too sad to want to listen to anymore, but others have since told me he handled himself pretty well.

NYC is just down the road from me. I've driven through it, strolled through Central Park, bought cheesy souvenirs from street vendors. It's a city I know and love. So it didn't feel as "unreal" as someplace like Los Angeles or London or Sydney (places I've never been) getting attacked. Such a sad day.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I was at work - working in an accountancy firm. I had just been to the gym over my lunch hour, and came jogging back into the office with headphones on. Everyone in the office had the internet on their computer and was sat reading the BBC news website.

They said "have you seen whats happened?", and I laughed because I didnt think it was real. Then I looked again, and said OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD!. But to be really honest (and im really sorry if this doesnt sound nice) it only seemed as bad to me as all the IRA bombings that the UK have put up with for years - Manchester city centre, Canary wharf, nail bombs on parades. I know more lives were lost in one go, but I honestly thought to myself, maybe the USA will stop funding the IRA now.

I can remember where I was when Elvis died too. Those are the only two events I can remember where I was.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I had been suspended from school for 5 days. The 11th was my second day out. I had beat the crap out of someone.

My father was, at the time, working as an over the road trucker, and he was supposed to be coming home that day. I wasn't looking forward to it.

I was watching MTV and, in the middle, something popped up about the WTC. I flipped to a news channel. I watched, and saw the second plane hit. That was crazy.

When my dad got home later on that day, he said he suspected that it wasn't terrorists, but an attack on us by another country.

• Gill
    Gill

It was around or just after 2 in the afternoon here in the UK. I had another 45 mins to go before I had to collect my child from school. I NEVER have the TV on during the day but I suddenly decided to put the TV on. A plane had just hit one tower in New York and then we saw the other plane hit. I was glued to the TV. When I left for school both towers were burning and they were talking about a possible accident, at first, then talking about a possible terrorist attack.

When I came back from school, one tower had collapsed. Then the other fell.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I was at an office meeting when someone got a text message on their cell phone. They told the office, I called Mrs Kwin and went to a doctor's appointment. Mrs Kwin called right back and told about the second plane. I went straight home after the Dr's appointment and we watched TV for the next 2 days straight.

Kwin

• Mulan
    Mulan

I was at home and Dave called me from his truck, to tell me to turn on the TV. He had his radio on and heard what had happened. On the West coast, where we are, it was about two hours later from the first plane.

We had my cousin's son and his wife, from New York, staying with us. They had come here about 10 days earlier, because my cousin (his mother) was dying. She had died on September 6 and we had her memorial on the 9th. We were all still in shock from that, and then the tragedy in New York hit. We reeled for a long time. Sean and his wife rented a car to drive home because the flights were grounded here for over a week.

September is turning into a month I would like to do without. (other than about 10 family birthdays, it's a bad memory month)

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Today, my younger son is 10 Years old. That is a good memory for 9/11

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit