Where were you on the a.m. of 9/11/01?

by rebel8 61 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

4 years ago, Kevan called me and woke me up. "A plane hit one of the Twin Towers, and it's on fire!". "You're kidding right?" I thought he was joking, trying to get me outta bed.

No. He wasn't joking He told me to get upstairs and turn on the TV.

I did, just in time to see the live footage of the 2nd plane.

I was stunned for 4 days! I did go to bed, but only after painfully turning off the TV, and would turn it on again in the morning as soon as I got up.

I couldn't think of those people who were hanging out of windows trying to stay away from the inferno burning inside,,...when the building collapsed on them.

Horrid. Simply horrid.

I have not watched very much of the Hurricane, nor the Tsunami last year. I understood the devastation, but I could not bring myself to stare at it like I did the WTC.

Natural disasters while devastating in such a great degree strikes me a little differently than man-caused disaster.

I felt more for the Tower victims than I did for the Pentagon. Afterall those in the Pentagon were military and always considered a target. But I felt for them, too, even the civies.

When it came out about the 4th airplane that crashed in Pennsylvania(?) I felt pride for them taking care of us.

One of the things I noticed during the week following the WTC attacks, is how quiet it was. No airplanes. No residual background noise from them.

Quiet. It reinforced the terror.

• lola28
    lola28

It was a Tuesday and I woke up to get ready for school (Senior year) and my Tv was on NBC which is weird because I always watch VH1 in the mornings ( I don't like watching the news first thing in the morning) the Today show is on and behind I see smoke coming from a building and I'm thinking this is weird why would the Today show be covering a fire? Isin't that what the local tv stations are for?

At this point I begin to feel that something BIG is happening but I can't really understand it yet so I sit down on my bed and just watch what is happening. My mom comes in my room and tells me to hurry up I had to go to school ( I had an extra class in the morning) so I got up and turned off the tv and went to my class.I wore my green pjs to school.

As soon as it was over I went to my journalism class and turned on the TV, and then it hit me like a ton of bricks, on this sunny normal day people had lost their lives.

I went to my other classes and then we realized that this was not an accident as more reports came in we realized that this was an attack. We had televisions in all the classrooms but teachers had been told not to let us watch any news coverage, but we still got our journalism teacher to let us watch the news. We sat in that room with the lights off and watched the destruction.

I will never forget that day as long a I live.

lola

• Preston
    Preston

I was out of work, I woke up that morning when my mom called and she told me to turn on the TV. I had a job interview that day. When I saw the television I thought whoever did it, was Muslim and they did it for religious reasons, I think most of us thought the same thing as stereotypical as it sounds. Later that day I had my job interview and stoped by the hospital to give blod. I was turned away, someone standing in line said he was ready to send their kid out to war.

- Preston

• hubert
    hubert

I was laid off, and at home, and happened to turn on the t.v. just after the first plane hit the towers... I never shut the t.v. off after that, until late that night. I was glad to be homt to be able to watch it, but of course wasn't happy at all it was happening.

Did anyone here ever read the book."Last man down"? It's about a fire chief that was in the tower that collapsed. It's his true story. Very, very good book. I couldn't put it down. I gave it to my neighbor's son, who is a volunteer firefighter, and he said he couldn't put it down, either. It has since made the rounds in the local firestation.

Hubert

• rebel8
    rebel8

I am glad when I hear of people having birthdays or weddings on 9/11. Last yr I was planning my wedding, talking to other brides-to-be who wanted to get married today but were getting harassed by others for selecting that date. I say, the more you can turn it into a happy day, the better. Doesn’t mean we will forget what happened in 2001. We don't have to be sad to be respectful.

I remember that a.m. everybody was saying the towers were too big to go down, but I thought that wasn’t true…how could a giant airplane hit a building at a fast speed and not knock it down?

maybe the USA will stop funding the IRA now

My stomach just sunk. I’ve never heard anything about this. Please, please somebody tell me this isn’t true!!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I was at work. We had an engineer who used to come to fix and service some of our lab equipment who was notorious for telling stupid and sometimes really sick jokes. He'd just heard the news on his car radio as he was arriving at our place, so his first words were 'Have you heard a planes crashed into one of the twin towers?' - and as usual, we were waiting for the punchline, while he was pleading with us that this time he was actually telling the truth.

We realised he was telling the truth when his wife called him on his mobile to tell him about the second one. There was a sense of disbelief/unreality about it which gradually turned to shock.

never forget

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I live on the west coast.

I woke up that morning, as I did every other morning. The TV is never on at our house in the morning because it makes the kids late getting ready for school.

Once the kids and I were ready, we went piled into the car, just like every morning. I turned on KGO news radio, just like every morning, as we turned into the freeway entrance of 237. The first words I heard from my familiar news man was: "The twin towers of the World Trade Center in New York no longer exist. The twin towers no longer exist. As incredible as it sounds, that is the fact."

I almost forgot to keep driving my car.

I remember telling the kids to be quite so I could hear the news..that something very big had happened...

I dropped my kids off and went to work at the continuation high school where I work. I don't remember much about it now, except I remember one kid who had not heard what happened before school learning of the news from us and refusing to believe it. He said it couldn't be true. And I remember that the teacher I work with was really freaking out. He was kinda freaking the kids out, in fact.

I remember going home after work. My home is directly under the approach to San Jose International Airport. No planes that day. No planes. So strange.

Every once in a while we would hear a military plane from near-by Moffit Field, but we didn't know if we should feel comforted by the sound or scared.

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

I was in Montana at home and since the cable bill wasn't paid I had no TV. I was making the beds and doing laundry when my (1st) husband came home around noon and asked me if I was listening to the radio. "no.. why would i be?" Then he told me what happened. I almost couldn't believe him... it seemed unreal. For 3 days all i heard were radio accounts of the tragedy until we finally went out to eat at a sports bar and 3 of the 5 tvs were showing the tapes of the plane crashes. The thing that just freaked me out so much were the news of the people.. jumping from the bldg!!!

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I was in my work truck driving from a job to the builder's supply yard to purchase some materials, with a fellow who'd worked for us for 6 years at that point so I knew him well. When we got to the brickyard nobody seemed to be around. I finally found everyone huddled around a TV and said rather loudly, "What's going on? Who's workin' here?"... cause we always busted balls at that joint. It was about 9:30 and they were showing replays of the 2nd plane. I calmly bought what I needed, loaded up the truck, and drove back to the job listening to the radio news reports. My partner was a veteran, having served in the Navy and at Grenada, and when I noticed his face, riddled with sadness and anger, and then tears, I started to tear up myself. Then I said to myself, Suck it up, you've got work to do.

We worked all day, and when I got home I eventually watched the news, but casually. I wasn't "glued to the tube." I was in a state of denial that it had happened in a way, and hardened myself to what had happened.

A year later on the morning of 9/11/02 I woke up for the first time in my own bed after open heart surgery that saved my life. I thought long and hard about how lucky i was to be alive...... and I started to decide on things that would change my life forever.

• Nina
    Nina

I was on JWD. Really. :)

I had just signed on and I saw a post by MadApostate saying Turn on the TV...

I didn't believe the thread title, I didn't believe the post...then other people started posting about it...

I spent the next 13 hours in chat.

Wish I had a transcript of that day's chat.

Shaken,

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit