Watch Tower sues Quotes for $100,000 plus plus plus...

by Quotes 354 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

I wrote to Stephen Bates the Religious Correspondant of the Guardian newspaper in Britain regarding this lawsuit being carried out by the WTS against our friend [Qoutes]... he replied...

Thank you. I hope to write about this case next week. 

Good news...

Good news for the Guardian as well... i'll be buying the Guardian everyday next week to find that article... hehe

• fairchild
    fairchild

When you type in your browser "watchtower quotes", hundreds of sites come up which quote from the watchtower. Some of those sites are downright damaging to the WTBTS. Why do they go after quotes and leave the others alone???? That's the question which came up while I was browsing.

• ackack
    ackack

Just noticed that another site has picked up the story.

ackack

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Thank you ackack

Jehovah's Witnesses Libel Lawsuit
    I-Newswire.com (press release) - USA
    ... Today the Watchtower Society of Jehovah's Witnesses has brought a lawsuit against an Internet site asking for damages of $100,000 because they have been ...

by Terry Walstrom submitted by Danny Haszard

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

HIGH web index ranking on quotes lawsuit is # 50 for keyword Jehovah's Witnesses and it just went up! Boing Boing: Canadian Jehovah's Witnesses pull a Church of ...
    Canadian Jehovah's Witnesses pull a Church of Scientology on critical website
    Copyfightin' Canadian cyber-lawyer Michael Geist sez, "In a lawsuit ...
    www.boingboing.net/2005/09/14/canadian_jehovahs_wi.html - 19k - Sep 15, 2005

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Canadian Jehovah's Witnesses pull a Church of Scientology on critical website
    Copyfightin' Canadian cyber-lawyer Michael Geist sez, "In a lawsuit reminiscent of the Scientology cases, the Watch Tower Society has sued a Canadian site for posting religious works. The group claims copyright and trademark infringement. The site posts limited quotations for texts withouth additional commentary. The case could prove to be an important case for fair dealing and free speech on the Internet in Canada."
    Link (Thanks, Michael!)

posted by Cory Doctorow at 09:14:33 PM permalink | Other blogs commenting on this post

• richard
    richard

Geist's article is now on webindex "Google Alert"

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Here's a really good one...

http://theeschalot.com/jw-watchtower-sues-witnesser.html

Jehovah's Witnesses Sue Former Jehovah's Witness for Witnessing About Jehovah's Witnesses

A former Jehovah's Witness decided to show the world what JW's REALLY believe, so he brought together quotes from various publications that the Watchtower has released over the years.

Check it out at http://quotes.watchtower.ca

Did they ever claim the world would end in 1914? Yep. Did they ever claim that the dates they published were "God's Dates", and not of their own making? You bet. Would they like the world to forget they ever said those things? OH YEAH!

So in a beautifully ironic move, they have actually SUED someone for distributing material from the Watchtower. To sweeten the deal, this guy used to be one of the volunteers that went door-to-door offering the Watchtower for contributions. Now he's offering up selected in-context quotes for FREE, and they are suing him.

Some of their reasons listed in the court document are hilarious. They consider the publishing of these quotes "embarrassing", with the potential to cause "loss of reputation and goodwill". So… if people know what JW's teach, it will damage their reputation? Prove embarrassing? LOL!

The court filing is below. Any comments on this material can be sent to [email protected] and will be passed on to the web site author.

(Note: The article went on to quote the entire Statement of Claim which I have excluded because it is very long, if you are hell bent on reading it, just go here:http://theeschalot.com/jw-watchtower-sues-witnesser.html )

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    MSN news wire

Can any Christian imagine Jesus Christ taking the Pharisees to court and complaining to the Sanhedrin: 'Stop these men from quoting me accurately--it is embarrassing!'? No. Why? ... Jehovah's Witnesses Libel Lawsuit Intimidation by litigation-Watchtower Jehovah Witness leaders sue for control ...

• ArriveNet
    • 9/17/2005
  • Gill
    Gill

By the looks of the many opinions on this law suit, the Watchtower has really put its foot in its mouth this time, but with a vengeance. Makes me wonder whether the lawyer who came up with this particular idea is a secret JWD poster?

I too shall be buying the Guardian every day next week for the Stephen Bates article in this fiasco.

Chin up Quotes! You're onto a winner. Any chance you could win compensation from these loonies for harrassment?

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Pressbox.co.uk (press release), UK - 32 minutes ago
    ... Today the Watchtower Society of Jehovah's Witnesses has brought a lawsuit against an Internet site asking for damages of $100,000 because they have been ...

More exposure today

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit