Watch Tower sues Quotes for $100,000 plus plus plus...

by Quotes 354 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• avishai
    avishai
    In a previous case they claimed that Jehovah was editor of the WT - so surely only Jehovah HIMSELF can bring an action.

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

I think that needs to be submitted at discovery!!

• Gill
    Gill

Quotes! - Sorry to hear of your Watchtower troubles. They really are a royal pain in the ass!

If you need any help ($) please say so. Looks like many will be willing to help you out with defending yourself and I'd be very pleased to also. (Though specific instrutions would be helpful as I'm not a paypal expert, though I do use it.)

What a funny case they have. I'm surprised they're not embarrassed to even say that you're embarrassing them with their old Watchtower quotations!

Funny people, JWs! Certainly they have the nack of managing to look as if they live in a strange parallel universe!

Good Luck!

Gill

• Gozz
    Gozz

Quotes,

this will cost you a lot money. I don't doubt that the Society hopes to frustrate you; it's good you live in Canada. And we don't need to lose focus on what would be good support; there're quite many that'll be happy to contribute to a fund; it is, afterall, our battle, you have the mantle.

Let us know.

• Quotes
    Quotes

Once again, thanks to everyone for the good wishes and research and strategy.

At this time, I am asking to NOT send me any money for legal expenses (or anything else, as one of you suggested ;) )

~Quotes, of the "Fair Dealing" class

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Jehovah's Witnesses Sue, Claim Their Widely Distributed Literature ...
    Pressbox.co.uk (press release), UK - 55 minutes ago
    The Canadian branch of the religious sect Watchtower Bible and Tract Society and leader of Jehovah's Witnesses, has filed a $100,000 lawsuit against the ...

------------

This was posted by someone other than Danny Haszard concise read.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

13. Each edition of The Watchtower and Awake! is a compilation of original literary works and artistic works. Each compilation was created by Jehovah’s Witnesses pursuant to a contract of service, in the course of a religious vocation or divine calling, with Watch Tower of Pennsylvania. Pursuant to section 13(3) of the Copyright Act, Watch Tower of Pennsylvania is the first owner of all copyright in the Religious Works as “compilations”, within the meaning of s. 2 of the Copyright Act.

14. The literary and artistic works contained in each Religious Work were created by Jehovah’s Witnesses pursuant to a contract of service, in the course of a religious vocation or divine calling, with Watch Tower of Pennsylvania. Pursuant to section 13(3) of the Copyright Act, Watch Tower of Pennsylvania is the first owner of all copyright in the literary and artistic works contained in each Religious Works.

Perhaps submit a motion to have the case dismissed sense this is obviously a case involving religion. I don't know about Canadian law, but in the US that works for the WTS all the time... something to do with the court interfering with their free exercise of religion.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Free2beme, as freewilly has pointed out, the WT is not going after Quotes for publishing full works on the internet. Quotes provides portions only, organized in an entertaining way. Fair use.

By the way, Canada does not have a First Amendment. Our equivalent is the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, passed in 1982. Thanks, Pierre. The Watchtower Society has leveraged freedom 2 a) to their advantage. It's about time Quotes took them to task for freedom 2 b).

Fundamental freedoms

Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

a

) freedom of conscience and religion;

b

) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

c

) freedom of peaceful assembly; and

d

) freedom of association.
  • Scully
    Scully

13. Each edition of The Watchtower and Awake! is a compilation of original literary works and artistic works. Each compilation was created by Jehovah’s Witnesses pursuant to a contract of service, in the course of a religious vocation or divine calling, with Watch Tower of Pennsylvania. Pursuant to section 13(3) of the Copyright Act, Watch Tower of Pennsylvania is the first owner of all copyright in the Religious Works as “compilations”, within the meaning of s. 2 of the Copyright Act.

14. The literary and artistic works contained in each Religious Work were created by Jehovah’s Witnesses pursuant to a contract of service, in the course of a religious vocation or divine calling, with Watch Tower of Pennsylvania. Pursuant to section 13(3) of the Copyright Act, Watch Tower of Pennsylvania is the first owner of all copyright in the literary and artistic works contained in each Religious Works.

That Divine Calling™ argument is easily countered. It's as though the WTS is saying they are the only people who have Divine Callings™ to do what it is they do. Quotes could easily say that he feels deeply moved to do what he is doing too. Maybe the Quotes site is HIS Divine Calling™, and who the hell is the WTS to tell him he cannot fulfill his own Divine Calling™? Freedom of Religion cuts both ways, Watchtower!!

BTW, this is the first time I have ever seen the term "divine calling" used by the WTS with reference to its works. I should do a check of my CD-ROM Bound Volumes (yeah, that's it! ) to see if this is a term they have ever used in the past.

Watchtower, 1961, p. 215

Ordained Ministers Let Light Shine

WHAT does it mean to be ordained? To be ordained means to be invested with ministerial functions or to be appointed authoritatively, even as Jesus Christ was ordained by God. One who is thus ordained has as his vocation or divine calling the Christian ministry.

Who are God’s ordained ministers today? The clergy who attended a theological seminary and thereafter underwent an elaborate and pompous ordination ceremony? No; if such were essential then neither Jesus nor his early disciples and apostles would have qualified as God’s ordained ministers, for they neither had such formal education nor underwent any such ordination.

God’s ordained ministers today are those who have recognized Jehovah God as their Sovereign, Jesus Christ as their Savior, themselves as sinners and their need of Christ’s sacrifice in order to have a proper standing before God. These upon dedicating themselves to do God’s will, and being baptized at the first opportunity, are ordained by means of God’s holy spirit or active force.

w84 4/1 "Once a Priest - Why No Longer?"

Becoming a Priest

The years slowly passed by, and the time approached when I would have to make a final decision about my future. More and more, I began to think about leaving the seminary. I decided to speak to the rector about it.

"If you don’t go ahead with your vocation," he quickly replied, "you will miss out on the divine calling like the rich young man, and you will be in serious danger of going to hell forever!" Needless to say, his words about hellfire really struck me!

After much mental anguish, the day came when I had to make known my decision. That same day one of my companions, who was to have become a deacon, fainted in front of the altar and had to be taken outside. Perhaps he was feeling as troubled as I felt. He left the seminary and, although in a way I envied him, I remained. I decided to go ahead with my vocation.

w89 7/1 "A Marriage That Benefits Millions Now Living"

The Marriage of the Greater Isaac

16 Eliezer’s name means "My God Is Helper." In name and deed, he fittingly pictures the holy spirit of the Greater Abraham, Jehovah God, which He sent to this distant land, our earth, to select a suitable bride for the Greater Isaac, Jesus Christ. (John 14:26; 15:26) The bride class is "the congregation," made up of disciples of Jesus who have been begotten by holy spirit as spiritual sons of God. (Ephesians 5:25-27; Romans 8:15-17) Just as Rebekah received expensive gifts, so the initial members of the Christian congregation on the day of Pentecost 33 C.E. received miraculous gifts in proof of their divine calling. (Acts 2:1-4) Like Rebekah, they have willingly forsaken all worldly and fleshly relationships in order eventually to be united with their heavenly Bridegroom. From the time individual members of the bride class are called until their death, they must guard their spiritual virginity while journeying through Satan’s dangerous, seductive world. (John 15:18, 19; 2 Corinthians 11:3; James 4:4) Filled with holy spirit, the bride class faithfully invites others to partake of Jehovah’s provisions for salvation. (Revelation 22:17) Do you follow her example by also responding to the spirit’s direction?

The term is used only three times between 1961 and 1989. And apparently, only Jehovah's Witnesses can legitimately claim to have "divine callings".

• ballistic
    ballistic

**ring ring** hello, this is the Divine Calling.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    10 tips on how to write a successful press release

Press/News and editorial Oped services used by Danny Haszard most are free some are $10.00-$40.00 you get what you pay for

http://www.theopenpress.com/?a=ucp_prs&code=01

http://i-newswire.com/pr17066.html

http://www.prleap.com/member_login.html?e=2&re=/press/press_release_add.html

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/corp/submitnews.shtml

http://www.clickpress.com/cgi-bin/releases/add.cgi

http://boston.indymedia.org/newswire/index.php?function=publish

http://freeinternetpress.com/modules.php?name=Submit_News

http://www.sweenytod.com/rno/modules.php?name=Submit_News

http://asp.usatoday.com/marketing/feedback/feedback-online.aspx?type=18 usa today

http://editorials.arrivenet.com/rel/article.php/5754.html editorial 98% chance of going up on msn wire

https://uadm.arrivenet.com/cmpny_pradd.php press release proper 50/50 % of being published more strict but better exposure

http://www.infoshop.org/inews/article.php?story=20050729050743924 liberal radical site

FREE PRESS RELEASE SERVICES A few more

10 tips on how to write a successful press release

1. The first lines of your press releases shall include:
    "FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE" (or FOR RELEASE Dec 25, 2002) and "For more information, contact:" followed by your contact information.

2.Craft a compelling headline. The headline makes your release stand out. Keep it short, active, and descriptive. If you don't know how, read a number of compelling headlines till you get some idea.

3.Hook reader with the first paragraph. A first paragraph shall summarize the five W's: who, what, where, when and why. In fact, most readers will give up if you haven't "hooked" them in the first few lines.

4. Put the most important information at the beginning. This is a tried and true rule of journalism. Never hide golden points to the end.

5. Don't sell but answer questions! Making over-inflated statements is helpless to your business. Write a release that answers questions about your business, rather than piling flowery adjectives without saying why.

6. Don't say it, show it. Avoid saying something is "unique" or "the best". Instead, show how people will benefit - i.e. save time, save money, make their life easier, etc.

7. A 'non- biased' source like university professor or software reviewer is very helpful.

8. Provide all possible contact information including mail address, telephone, fax, e-mail and web site (especially for online business).

9. Proofread & Proofread! Do remember to proofread your press release for typographical errors before you send them out.

10. End your press release with "###" (without the quotation marks) after your last lines of text. This symbol lets the editors know they have successfully received the entire release.

assistance email Danny [email protected]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit