Watch Tower sues Quotes for $100,000 plus plus plus...

by Quotes 354 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Will Power
    Will Power

If they wanted to separate the "works" as individual pieces, wouldn't they have to list the individual writers? and not use a "collective" term as authorship?

wp

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yes, it's a slippery slope to go down the route of individual authors. The WTBTS is most obsessive about anonymity, it might be even unique in the publishing world. I'd ask them to list the original author for each work.

• Terry
    Terry

How much does the Watchtower pay its writers for the articles written?

Oops!

How much money does it make off magazine "placements" (sales) ?

Oops! No per magazine profit is ever stated. "Donations" aren't accounted in this way.

Who are the writers of the articles?

Oops! No attributions are given.

Why?

If these are ORIGINAL works----WHO ARE the originators who wish to PROTECT their original writings? Where are these people? Are they each filing a class action suit againt QUOTES?

Rather it is the mighty arm of the corporate lawyers seeking to staunch the flow of goodwill which is behind this. By portraying the Watchtower as a victim of injustice and theft it seeks sympathy in a time when exposure of its pedophile cases and blood guilt are becoming more prominent.

Who is the injured party in the case of each article? Identify these writers and tell how much they were paid.

Could it be these articles are ANONYMOUS because they sought to escape legal culpability when harm came from applying the philosophy of Jehovah's Corporation to everyday life?

The Watchtower is two-faced in its dealings. They want everything both ways.

They wish to go door to door changing the householder's point of view and religious belief by tearing down other religous beliefs.

However, they deny the right to their own membership to examine any contrary opinion about their own doctrinal misdeeds.

They want the freedom to attack whomever they choose and label others as Satanic and Demon inspired while escaping any criticisms themselves.

Their dishonesty is is as virulent as their ideology.

T.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Sorry, I've only read a few pages of this thread, but why is the WTS suing for only $100K? Is that the legal limit to sue for in Canadian law under the statute their suit was placed under?

• Scully
    Scully

Maybe they had someone dig up Quotes' financial information to find out what his personal assets are worth, and figured that was all they could bleed him for.

For a corporation to sue someone for more money than they can possibly have will get the suit thrown out. It's basically a waste of time to pursue from a legal point of view.

• bebu
    bebu

If there are press releases made, could they be put here so that others may "share" with their JW friends (who wouldn't otherwise visit a suspicious website)?

I will be happy to use them.

bebu

Quotes... you're in my thoughts and prayers!

• Quotes
    Quotes

Sunspot said:

I must admit that I enjoy the "Quote's" site and use it at least three or four times a day when writing my rebuttals during debates with JWs who like to say, "WE never taught that!"

And frankly, that is exactly why I created the Quotes web site. I had those same type of conversation: "NO, JWs never EVER said that"

Specifically, at one time a (former) friend claimed that WTS/JWs never EVER claimed to be "God's Channel". IIRC, God's Channel was one of the first, if not the first, page I made. Simple statement of facts via fair and verifiable quotes:

"Yes, friend, they DID say they were/are God's Channel. Now you can stop this childish denial, and we can continue with an intelligent and meaningful discussion."

Sadly, I never got to have that last part of the conversation with him.

• fairchild
    fairchild
    Yes, it's a slippery slope to go down the route of individual authors. The WTBTS is most obsessive about anonymity, it might be even unique in the publishing world. I'd ask them to list the original author for each work.

The copyrights in their magazines are claimed by the WTBS. This means that the individual writers wrote the articles FOR the WTBS, and thus, the original authors are not the owners of the copyrights. It is the WTBS that owns all the copyrights. At least, this is the rule of thumb when it comes to copyrights. However, were the authors PAID to write the articles? Were the writers officially EMPLOYED by the WTBS? If not, this might become a strong point for quotes. I am not a lawyer, but being in the publishing world myself, I am quite familiar with copyright laws. If I were a lawyer in this case, this would be the first thing I'd look into. When the owner of a magazine pays his employees to write articles, the copyrights for the articles do not belong to the writers. But what if the owner of a magazine does NOT pay the writers to write the articles? This is definitely something to look into, because if the writers were not paid, then the WTBS might not legally have the copyrights to the articles to start with. In such case, they would not have a leg to stand on. I'm thinking that writing the magazines could be considered "contributions to collective works". In that case, the individual writers would own the copyrights, and the WTBS could not claim to own the copyrights. Since they DO claim to own the copyrights, I suspect that they have a system where each individual writer transfers the copyrights to the WTBS. Something tells me that the WTBS is smart and slick enough to cover their behinds when it comes to copyrights. And yet, I think the first thing which should be done is to find out exactly HOW the WTBS has the copyrights.

• Will Power
    Will Power

ATTENTION WT WRITING COMMITTEE DEPT HEADS:

DO NOT COMMIT PURJURY BY BACK DATING OR CREATING PHONEY FORMS
    TO ACCOUNT FOR PREVIOUSLY SUBMITTED ARTICLES.

THANK YOU
    CHEIF EDITOR
    (you know)

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

21. The content of the CD-ROMs is not readily available to the general public. Some of the content is intended only for Jehovah’s Witnesses...

What a bogus line.

Actually, the publications are for JWs only are not included on the CD-ROM:

• Organized to Do Jehovah's Will
    • Pay Attention to All The Flock

I've never seen JW's hiding their Kingdom Ministries or Insight volumes from the public.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit