WTS requesting insurance checks? Verification?

by EscapedLifer1 57 Replies latest jw friends

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

I have a relative who's a stickler for keeping paperwork and I know they has an original invoice sent to them by the WTS after they rebuilt their house, but, to ask for a copy of it....... they know I'm not favorable to the "troof" now and the eyebrows would go up....WAYYYY UUUPPP!!!!!

I was only told about it...I've never actually had my hands on it to inspect it myself.......I suspect they were told by the soceity to keep it confidential. From what I remember, they weren't expecting it and it was completely out of the blue.........they were blindsided by it. They used the old "brother, jehovah sees to it that even the sparrows are taken care of, how much more so does he takes care of his people. Don't you think it's only fitting that appreciation be shown for his provisions?"

To this day, they won't divulge how much the soceity was asking for, nor what, if any, they donated.

it must not have been much though........the shepherding calls began.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

My mom said that in Charlotte Co., FL where the 'cane hit last year, they rebuilt houses "free of charge" and asked that the homeowner donate their insurance check to the WTS so that it could perpetuate the fixing of peoples homes. I guess maybe some extra change is garnered that way, but really...I don't think there's dirt here. To me, it seems a reasonable request, as long as qualified people to work that's up to acceptable building standards. She said that the CO told them in a letter about this practice.

I just spoke w/ her about this yesterday.

Ern

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee
    I guess maybe some extra change is garnered that way, but really...I don't think there's dirt here.

Do the math ... you'll see they stand to make A LOT OF MONEY from natural disasters.

-ithinkisee

• Mary
    Mary
    They were presenting those they helped with an invoice totalling the approximate cost of the repairs had they'd been done by a "worldly agency" and were expecting "donations" to that effect on the back end of their help.

OH..........MY...........GOD...............just when I didn't think there was anything left to be shocked about when it comes to this Organization...........So how exactly is this "charity" work that they're doing if they're asking for people's insurance cheques??!! Un-be-frigging-livable!!

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

I posted a little about it here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/84971/1.ashx

. . . .and I just thought they were SO on top of disaster relief around the world because they cared.

But when I heard this a lightbulb went off in my head:

We just had our CO visit, and our CO is THE GUY that was the head of Hurricane Relief in Punta Gorda, Florida.

On two specific occasions in his Sunday post-WT talk he made it clear that - even though it wasn't required - that it was expected that people would donate their insurance check to the Society.

He worked it in like this (I'm quoting from memory):

". . and when the repairs were done the family was so thankful and were thanking us over and over again as they were writing out their check to the Society for the insurance amount - in fact - I don't really know ANYBODY who hasn't donated their Insurance check to the Society. . . ." (and then continues on with the great work the Hurricane Relief People are doing).

He reiterated it again at the end of his talk.

He even went on to encourage the brothers NOT to use worldly companies because there was a likely chance they would be scammed or swindled.

The stats were that over 1400 WT Families needed new roofs - and that was just roofs. There was lots of other families with just property damages, water damages, structural damages, etc.

My thoughts is that if someone gets a $7k or $10k check (some got even more - some luxury houses had six-figure claims) and then pays for the roofing supplies and donates the remainder to the Society. . . .you do the math.

Even on the conservative side it's ALOT of money.

Even if the Society pays for a handful of people who DON'T have insurance, and builds their roof outright. . . .it doesn't matter. . .a grand or two for the supplies from the millions they are collecting is not a big deal.

- ithinkisee

-ithinkisee
  • Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

So, what's the point of the WWW fund then?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

So if the recipients of the society's "generosity" don't "donate" their insurance cheques the shepharding calls shakedowns begin?

Do other charitible organizations send invoices to the recipients of disaster relief assistance? I'd love to see such an invoice reprinted in the newspapers.

W, getting very, very ill right now.

• Celia
    Celia
    they rebuilt houses "free of charge" and asked that the homeowner donate their insurance check to the WTS so that it could perpetuate the fixing of peoples homes.

If I may ask.... who pays for the building materials when they re-build houses "free of charge" ?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    who pays for the building materials when they re-build houses "free of charge" ?

Presumably those who voluntarily donate to relief efforts. When I donate, it's a gift to help someone who is in dire straits. I don't expect repayment. Neither do I expect a "charitible" organization to turn someone's pain into an opportunity to make a profit.

W

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

If you have insurance, and they come and fix your house up for you, I don't think there is anything wrong in asking that you consider donating some money when you get your check, I really don't.

However, signing over the whole check...it they are actually bringing your house back to where it was before the damage I can see that, but if they are not...then no. But if I had insurance and they worked on my house I would donate some of it. I think that is fair.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit