WTS requesting insurance checks? Verification?

by EscapedLifer1 57 Replies latest jw friends

• EscapedLifer1
    EscapedLifer1

Greetings,

I have read comments on several threads about the WTS policy on asking folks whose homes have been repaired/rebuilt by JW volunteers to sign over their insurance checks to the WTS?

Is there any kind of paper proof of this policy anywhere? Any further details would be kindly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Brandon

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I don't have any documentation supporting it, but I did hear that is what they had done in previous floods (southern US). Sure changes the story from charity to cash grab if it's true, doesn't it? Do you think the WTS charges a discounted rate for it's slave labour?

Kwin

• thom
    thom

The idea of performing work with basically free labor and then collecting payment at what a for-profit company would charge is very appealing from a business point of view. Labor is one of, if the the biggest expense to alot of companies.
    Now, if I can just get my employees to work for free.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

While I have nothing written in stone that that is in fact WT policy, I have witnessed personally that that is what the WT did when they were repairing homes in the Houston area after the floods of TS Allison about 4 years ago. They were presenting those they helped with an invoice totalling the approximate cost of the repairs had they'd been done by a "worldly agency" and were expecting "donations" to that effect on the back end of their help.

After the rebuild was done, some JWs I know, after they'd had their house rebuilt and had spent their insurance money on upgrades, new cars, bling blings, and big screen TV's, were very uncomfortable with the frequency of all the "shepherding calls" they were on the receiving end of, some of them HBH (home but hiding) when the elders came a calling. I just happen to be at on relative's house when the brothers "came a calling" and though the strong JW wife was hospitable, the JW husband refused to come out of his room.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Yes, it is true, but unless you can get it on video, it's going to be very hard to get something like this on paper. It's all nudge nudge wink wink.

• Fangorn
    Fangorn

I don't have any proof but I know that it's true. Hate saying that cause I really like to have proof when I say something like that.

• blondie
    blondie

A brother I've known since he was born worked in Texas during the flood and eventually married and moved down there. On a visit to his parents, he connfirmed that the WTS "strongly" suggested that the brothers and sisters sign over their insurance checks to the WTS after the WTS had helped rebuild their house (not the original house they had but the WTS design).

I haven't seen anything in writing. One of those unwritten rules/policies.

The WTS would say they only "suggested" it and that it was the brother/sister decision. Sort of like not saluting the flag, not voting, and not taking a blood transfusion.

Blondie

• blondie
    blondie

Finding a brother (or ex-brother) who worked on those homes or a homeowner would be the best possibility. Of course, they may have nothing in writing either.

Blondie

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

My understanding is that you are not *required* to turn over your insurance check... however if you refuse when asked to by an elder, you will end up on the congregation shit list.

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

WTS "strongly" suggested that the brothers and sisters sign over their insurance checks to the WTS after the WTS had helped rebuild their house (not the original house they had but the WTS design). oh, ohhhhh excuse me, I have to leave the room...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit