WTS requesting insurance checks? Verification?

by EscapedLifer1 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    They ran his injury through their business insurance company.

I wonder if that would be considered insurance fraud?

Had he been someone who didn't have a health plan ... he would have been left to fend on his own.

That's what I thought but was unsure. It's why I eventually stopped volunteering for any physical work at KH renovations, etc. My health was already bad enough without taking such a risk.

W

• garybuss
    garybuss

Once I was at an equipment auction in Sioux Falls and there was a piece of crap planer on the sale that a guy I knew bid on and bought for $110.00. That Weekend I was at Tom Nim's used machine shop in Austin Minnesota and he had just bought THAT planer for $500. I told him he got screwed, that the guy just bought it for $110.00. He said something I'll never forget. He said, "I'm happy I got the planer. I'll sell it and make some money. The guy sold it to me made some money and I assumed he would. If two guys are smiling, that's a good deal.".
    That's my standard now. If two people are satisfied, that's a good deal. Disclosure of all the facts is not needed to make a good deal.
    If the volunteers are happy, and the property owner is happy signing over his insurance check, I'm happy they're happy. If a payment is tricked out of a property owner, that's fraud. If a payment in received through intimidation, that's extortion. I'm not okay with fraud or extortion. Two happy people, I'm okay with.
    Until I see some proof of wrongdoing, I don't have any problem with the practice. It's no different than a church car wash only on a slightly bigger scale. All I care is if I got a clean car at a fair price. All groups have their fund raisers. Nothing wrong with that to me. The Witness group is a real estate development and speculating company, so it seems a natural for them to raise funds by doing construction work. The Witness people are their own biggest customers, so it again figures that they market their fundraising in a way the other members end up paying. That's the way the Witness organization works.
    I doubt the Witness people would know how to do a fundraising project that does not involve other Witness group members. I may be wrong. I'm sure willing to look at any evidence.

• Scully
    Scully
    They will not shake you down. They will not force you to. But they will remember what you did not donate. WHen your name comes up in elders meetings regarding responsibilities ... it will be reminded that you "took advantage" of the Relief Work.

Well, isn't Relief Work supposed to be about giving something to people who are NOT in a position to repay? Good grief, isn't it ENOUGH that most JWs already GIVE of their TIME every single month to the World Wide Work™, and GIVE of their RESOURCES whenever they help look after the KH, or build a KH or an Assembly Hall, and GIVE of their TIME to attend mind-numbing conventions?

When will someone stand up and REMIND the WTS that they are "taking advantage" of the Flock?

@$$holes.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    But they will remember what you did not donate.

So much for "not letting the left hand know what the right hand is doing".

Their words, not mine.

W

• Mary
    Mary
    So much for "not letting the left hand know what the right hand is doing".

FinallyFree, I'm pretty sure that's referring to masturbation.

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

I think the whole thing stinks like hell. The brothers work for free, the WT gets the glory in the media. What happened to "you received free, give free". Don't regular JW families have other things to spend that insurance money on than filling the huge chests of gold that the WT has in NYC? If they are going to pay to have their houses repaired, then why don't they just hire brothers who do this type of work and pay them. I'm sure the brothers could use the money. Taking several weeks off from their private contracting business or using their vacation time and receiving no pay must not be too much fun for them or their families. Actually, the WT is nothing but a middleman, which neither party needs. What a crock of sh*t. Every week I hear something more outrageous about these perverted cultists. When will it stop?? Next, they'll start charging newly interested people for their gas when they pick them up for meetings or field service. This is not charity, it's a business. And the WT didn't get to be number 38 out of the top 50 corporations in net worth in NYC by just doing Bible studies. They've got their filthy, greedy hands into everything they can possible get away with. I'm sure we'll soon see people being charged for wedding talks, funeral discourses, and possibly a parking fee at the Hall for every meeting. They do it at the Conventions, why not locally? Or maybe a "seat tax" for a chair at the meetings?

• Mary
    Mary

Actually, I'm just waiting for them to bring back tithing.........can't you just see them rubbing their greedy little paws together as they prepare to reveal this "New Light" to 6,000,000 unsuspecting souls?? If you have about 1,000,000 Witnesses in the States alone (say this roughly represents families of 4)----that's about 250,000 families. Let's say the average family income is $30,000/yr. That'd be $3,000 that each family would be expected to give to Mother Borg. $3,000 x 250,000 families----that's about $750,000,000 a year that they'd be getting...........and if they tried this worldwide, well.......you can see how much they'd be raking in then........these guys have got nothing on the Mafia let me tell you............

• nilfun
    nilfun

...just when I thought I'd heard it all.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

This information is false.

When they did repairs in my home, they asked for a donation equal to the cost of materials. Of course, since we received a pretty good sum from our insurance plus local anb Federal aid, we donated a little more.

I knew of quite a few JWs in the congregation where I attend that don't have a pot to piss on and got all the work done for free.

They did excellent repair/rebuild work!!! If we were to pay contractors to do all the work they did for us, we would've spent the last penny given to us!

Once again, the information about the WBTS asking people to sign over their insurance checks is totally false. Of course, due to some people's generosity and thankfulness perhaps there were some that did do just that. However, it wasn't asked of anyone.

DY

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

DY, were they able to present you with receipts to prove that they PAID for the building materials? I think the point here is that while people's time & expertise and building materials are frequently DONATED, thus costing NOTHING, still people are made to feel obligated to give a donation -- NOT to the people who donated the materials, NOT to the people who did the work, but to the organization who didn't contribute one thin dime to either. I'd have been more than delighted to sign over my insurance check to the guys who did the work, but NOT to the conglomerate in Brooklyn.

However, as garybuss said, if they're happy with that arrangement, fine. No skin off my nose.

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit