Is this swearing, to a JW?

by wordlywife 35 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

He probably wouldn't be put on reproof for something like that, but then again you never know. Richie Rich on this forum was.

It does count if you're swearing to a worldly person. It only doesn't count if you're swearing to an ex-JW, as in calling them a fobbing apostate.

I used to know a bro who would say, "Oh bong" instead of "oh shit". He does it in public too. Once I was in KMart and I heard someone say "oh bong" and a bunch of people walked around to the other side of the aisle to see what the person was talking about. There were no bongs in that aisle, just a wierd bro. It was funny.

• Confession
    Confession

He used the word "euphemism" because that's the word the Society always used. They definitely did take the position that it would be wrong to use swear words--or even these commonplace words like "Gosh," "Dang," etc. But it's also true that these euphemisms were used within those in the congregation pretty commonly. Usually you wouldn't get a double take by saying, "Gosh" or "Heck."

Now, "Damn," "Hell," and the S and F words? Off limits. I do remember finding that some in my group of friends had decided that the word "pissed" was apparently okay to use. But I didn't.

I also remember when we hosted a bunch of friends from all over the world a few years ago. There were two brothers from Sweden who we were with one night, and we'd gotten into a discussion of beer. In his unsteady English, he said something like...

"Most American beers not goot. Ischit."

I was, like, "What?"

"Schit, schit. You know?"

It was so funny and inspired a whole conversation about curse words. Another brother from my congregation helped him to understand that this was NOT a word he should be using. But I wanted to discuss swear words, and their origins. I had heard that a very bad swear word in German was Schweinhund, which I'm told means literally "Pig Dog." It's funny to me that saying something like pig dog could be taken as profanity. And it made me wonder if there weren't parallels within the English language.

For instance, in this country, there is one word we use for feces that is socially acceptable. No problem with it. Another word is a little iffy, although not too bad. But then there's another word for the same thing that is absolutely socially unacceptable. Who decided this? Doesn't it strike you as kind of funny?

• Legolas
    Legolas

Even saying 'frig' is a bad bad word to them...you may as well be saying F**K to them!

I said frig in the Kingdumb hall once....(When I didn't know that was a 'bad' word) and the people around me nearly had a fit!

• Confession
    Confession

Yes, Legolas, Frig, Frigging--and I think even Freaking doesn't usually fly. BUT I found that "Flipping" was usually okay. :o)

• Legolas
    Legolas

Our hall is very judgemental, not many words you can say other then 'rats'!

• upside/down
    upside/down
    substitute swear words

= euphemisms...

A Dub won't "cuss"...but they can SHUN you for no legitimate reason...cuz the bozo's elders say so...

Go figure

u/d

• talesin
    talesin

Heavily frowned upon here. Judas Priest would be considered an euphemism for Jesus Christ.

Legolas, I would loved to have seen the shocked faces when you said 'friggin' hahaha, I can well imagine! lol

t

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I was playing badminton once and after blowing a shot screamed "MOTHERF*CKER!!".. it was vs. an elder too.

haha good times.

GBL

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Sample Magazine Presentation:

"Good morning, it's flipping nice to find you home on such a gol-durned nice day! We're talking to our dinged neighbours today about the mudderflippin' conditions in this freaking world we live in and asking them if they'd like to read our latest flipping Watchtower magazine? WHAT!!?? You don't want a freaking copy??? AWWW FLIIIIIPPP!!!"

W

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

LMFAO Finally.. that f*cking "flip" expression was all the rage in our Kingdom Halls here in Calgary as well. Now the big replacement PG-13 after-school-special term is "Effing".

GBL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit