Is this swearing, to a JW?

by wordlywife 35 Replies latest jw friends

• wordlywife
    wordlywife

Would this be considered swearing by the average witness?

Thanks!

WW

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

Most certainly, by the average JW. Also frowned upon are "Jeez," "Gosh," "Golly" and other "substitute" curses.

When I was "in" however, I used to talk to JWs from across the country when I was online and those I met from California swore - a lot. Whenever I would mention it, they'd say that in CA, it was commonplace and wasn't considered vulgar. I don't know if that applied throughout the state or just in particular congregations.

• rebel8
    rebel8

It definitely would.

Tried to find an article for you but didn't. Swearing is mentioned here as a bad thing: http://www.watchtower.org/library/g/2002/2/8a/article_01.htm

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Yeah those are really bad swear words in Jehovah land. Maybe there is hope for your hubby yet.

GBL

• jgnat
    jgnat

"Christendom's Churches", "Worldly", "Apostate", and "Unbeliever" are JW swear words.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

There was a time when the bethelites™ in my hall used "Flip" instead of "F*ck" an awful lot. It sounded really stupid when, before and after meetings, you could hear the word "Flip" or "Flipping" coming from several different directions. They used this word enthusiastically until there was a talk from the platform about using substitute swear words.

W

• minimus
    minimus

Judas Priest ain't a swear.

• carla
    carla

Judas Priest ain't a swear. Isn't that a band? agining myself?

• wordlywife
    wordlywife

Just seems odd to shout any name from the bible, or any other book, in such a way. "Moses" !! "Esther"!! "Job"!!!

He also says what the hob (in place of "hell"), and occasionally says damn, too. Maybe I should call his elder friend, he could be put on reproof, huh? Or because I'm worldly it probably wouldn't count as offense?

WW

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Also frowned upon are "Jeez," "Gosh," "Golly" and other "substitute" curses.

We had a by-the-book elder who always referred to these as 'euphemisms'. I think it was his 'big word of the month' for a while.

G-whiz, they were freakin' picky by golly!

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit