Do any jw pubs say "Due time has approached" ala Luke 21:8?

by Check_Your_Premises 55 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Luke 21:8

8 He said: "Look out that YOU are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The due time has approached.’ Do not go after them.

Just curious. A thread recently (I can't remember which one) mentioned that there is a picture of a publication that said EXACTLY THAT.

Anyone? Bueller?

• ithinkisee
  • AlanF
    AlanF

The Watchtower Society's very basis, right from its inception, has been to say "the due time has approached". That's what the 1914 doctrine that Russell preached was all about. He laid out all his teachings on this in his 1889 book The Time Is At Hand. The Society has published quite a few books and booklets with titles saying essentially that. Titles that come to my mind are:

The Time Is At Hand (1889)

The Kingdom Is At Hand (1943)

The Approaching Peace of a Thousand Years (1969 booklet)

God's Kingdom of a Thousand Years Has Approached (1973)

Just take a look in one of the printed Indexes at the titles of Watchtower publications down through the years and you'll find more.

AlanF

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    Just take a look in one of the printed Indexes at the titles of Watchtower publications down through the years and you'll find more.

Where can I find one of those printed indexes?

• JCanon
    JCanon

Well, again, this is a matter of interpretation. Was Christ saying that only false prophets would be saying "I am he" and "The Time has Approached" so don't be misled by anyone making these statements since the true prophets would not be saying this?

OR

Was Christ saying/implying instead that indeed, the true prophets would be saying "I am he" and "The Time has Approached" but that other false prophets would be saying the very same things so don't be misled by just anyone saying these things. In other words, make sure you're following the right prophet who would be basically declaring these same things as would other false prophets, thus don't be misled by just anyone saying these things?

If the former is the correct understanding, that only the false prophets would be declaring the "last days" then the witnesses would be false prophets for sure, since that is one of their primary themes, claiming "I am he" meaning they are God's chosen "spiritual Israel" and the "time has approached--Look out for 1874 and 1914 and 1975!" But if this is about sorting out the true prophets from the false ones who might be saying the same things generally, but with say different dates and different circumstances, then you have to go farther and compare to see if the witnesses' doctrine follows the Bible specifically or if they deviate from scripture and are false prophets.

On the other hand, the Bible clearly indicates that his chosen ones would be preaching the "good news" during the last days on an international basis before the "end" comes. So, one wonders if that "good news" would exclude any mention about the last days or the time approaching? So more than likely what Christ was saying was that many people during these times would be preaching "last days are here" type sermons just as the anointed to preach the "good news" would be, so don't be misled by this since many would be saying these things, make sure you have the right group.

Jehovah's witnesses ARE the correct group. They are the chosen ones to preach the "good news" and 1914 indeed began the "last generation" from 1914 to 1994 (80 years) which began, as prophesied with "nation vs nation, kingdom vs kingdom", the first sign, that is a WORLD WAR, whch was WWI.

Thus since lots of groups would be preaching end-times sermons and claiming to be the right religion, it was important to make sure you found the right one and not be misled by just anyone preaching this, not everyone.

JC

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee
    Jehovah's witnesses ARE the correct group.

What?

-ithinkisee

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

J,

Yeah but they said it about 1914 falsely. It wasnt the due time. It wasn't true. So they were true prophets who described something that didn't happen?

It would be great to dismiss all that with the "light gets brighter", which was surely prophesying that some obscure Christian sect would be making a bunch of mistakes and need some sort of cover so nobody thought that God wasn't really using them .

But the problem is Christ said these folks were false prophets, and don't be misled by them.

Why would he choose his one true organization in 1919 when they were acting like false prophets that he warned his disciples about?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Jehovah's witnesses ARE the correct group. They are the chosen ones to preach the "good news" and 1914 indeed began the "last generation" from 1914 to 1994 (80 years) which began, as prophesied with "nation vs nation, kingdom vs kingdom", the first sign, that is a WORLD WAR, whch was WWI.

So, did something happen in 1994 that I don't know about?

W

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

CYP,

I found that scripture in Luke enlightening when I was on my way out. In fact when you look at Matt 24 again, it seems like Jesus was warning about thing not MISLED by.

What were the things he warned his followers NOT TO BE misled by?

False Phophets

Wars and rumours of wars, etc

Those who claim to be the Christ.

Those who claim to have seen him or know where he is.

Those who say "the end is near".

It seems to me that the WTS does almost all of the above by issuing false predictions, focusing on wars, earthquakes etc., claiming to be Gods mouthpiece, and continuosly scaring their followers by saying "the end" is just around the corner.

Instead he said he return would be an unmistakable event unlike these others that have been happening all throughout history.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    Jehovah's witnesses ARE the correct group.

What?

-ithinkisee

He he, never mind JCanon, he`s like a JW with a twist. He believes the WT was the house of God, but that they have gone astray, and are now apostates (evildoers in the temple of God). And he believes that he has the one (and only) correct interpretation of the scriptures. And I could be mistaken, but his nick might just be a short version of "Jesus Christ Anonymous"). Just look thru his post history, and see what he`s about. He`s a very intelligent person with a lot of biblical knowledge, but he has some crazy ideas...to say the least (no offense JC ;o)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit