Evolutionary establishment tactics

by hooberus 157 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Laboratory experiments have also shown that when you dry out phosopholipids from a phosopholipid bi-layer and then rehyrdate them, you get a vesicle, but as a biologist, you'd know that and you'd know the reasons why.

no actually. unless you made that up yourself, please provide your sources.

It's right in my pre-made notes from Biology 112 written by the "Department of Microbiology and Immunology" at UBC. It says:

2. Assembly of the cytoplasmic membrane

(a) Self-assembly of a phospholipid bilayer and the hydrophobic effect

(i)Observations

-In water, a lipid bilayer is a self-assembling structure. When phospholipids purified from cells are added to water, they become packed (self-assemble) into spherical bilayered structures called vesicles. with their headgroups in contact with water and the lipid tails sequestered away from water. A vesicle contains an internal aqueous (=water-filled) compartment.

-What accounts for the behaviour of a water-phospholipid mixture? To answer this question a few concepts from chemistry need to be examined...

It was also in our textbook, "Microbial Life" by Perry (ISBN: 0-87893-682-3). This would be common knowledge for someone who claims to be a computational biologist as it is an introductory course on cell biology (though, I would understand if you've forgotten it as it's a very boring subject).

awesome classicist, thanks for coming out. pretty cool how you can type out stuff from your text books. BTW, did i not say i was studying computational biology? so how does that make me a fullblown biochemist? please don't do this to yourself, it's embarassing. perhaps you should drop the classics and get into science? it seems you enjoy it.

It is a strawman as I never brought God into my arguments. Just because others have, doesn't mean that I did. It is also impossible to "prove" God by naturalistic means. Even if God himself appears to you and does a bunch of stuff and answers all you questions. It would simply prove the existence of a supernatural being, you would have to accept, by faith, that it is Almighty God or whatever you fancy. God is only 'knowable' by by faith.

so then you are in favour of aliens? it does not matter if you never brought god into your arguments. your arguments had god in them. ID is about god, in case you had not noticed. ID is about origins.

you ignore the point that it is unparsimonious to introduce the possible concept of a designer for origins as probablity is not on the side of that explanation. you ignore the fact that the computational nature of the universe and biological systems, would make any designer not a designer at all, but a programmer. this would make the deist's god, the one you advocate with support of ID, even smaller and lazier than he already was.

i bring up god, because it is impossible to discuss ID (and the origins part of it) without addressing the central issue of god. so again, not a strawman. just trying to help you wrap your brain around the subject.

As to your second paragraph in your little discourse, I never said that they should "conlcude" anything.

so, that's pretty much how you see the class going too then, hey?

and if you don't like "conclude", please feel free to substitute it with whatever you like, it doesn't change the point.

TS

• AlanF
    AlanF

the_classicist said:

:: You're committing several logical blunders here. First, no one is claiming that cells evolved in one fell swoop by chance. Rather, origins scientists today generally propose that the earliest life was far simpler, probably based on unknown but simple protein sequences.

: Wait a minute, I never said cells evolved in "one fell swoop by chance."

Of course you did, unless English is a problem for you, which I know it is not. You clearly stated:

:::: What I have said is that life (as in a cell, the simplest unit of life) cannot come about by chance

I.e., a cell cannot come about by chance. Now, if you actually meant to say that a cell cannot come about through a sequence of chance steps, that would be another kettle of fish. But I'm not a mind reader.

:: I don't know enough to say more than that, but from your statements, you know a good deal less than I do, and so it would behoove you to educate yourself before making such pronouncements.

: Interesting pontification.

Upon which you've failed actually to comment.

I know plenty about ID, having read many books pro and con, and having followed it since the 1991 publication by Phillip Johnson of Darwin on Trial, which kicked the whole thing off. You've already clearly stated that all you've "heard about ID is that life is irreducibly complex and it couldn't have come about by chance." Sounds to me like you haven't done any homework, but have only been chugging along on hearsay. If your statement was, well (What's the right word? Hypobole as opposed to hyperbole? Well, you get the idea.), highly understated, then you need to learn to communicate clearly.

:: Second, you're committing the very same logical fallacy I desribed above, namely, invoking the argument from ignorance. Third, how do you know that "life cannot come about by chance"? Are you so much more knowledgeable than anyone else so that you know this, and can prove it?

: Second, actually, I'm trying to argue from agnosticism.

Knock me over with a feather!

: Neither sides can be proven, although each side would like to think that they can.

Um, no. Science never proves anything, and all scientists worth their salt admit this. Science only comes up with explanations that have varying degrees of probability, ranging from nearly zero to nearly certain. Scientists who argue against the precepts of ID mainly argue that its claims are simply not science, or that specific arguments made by ID claimants are wrong for very specific reasons. Of course, if you'd do your homework rather than relying on hearsay, you'd know this.

The most specific criticism of ID, once again, is that it is not a theory about anything. Rather it's a negative, a claim that other theories -- the theory of evolution and the notion of abiogensis -- are absolutely, certainly, 100% wrong, leaving only the notion that the Christian God created everything. ID proponents have nothing positive to replace it with, except to make noises about a vague, unspecified intelligent designer in some circles, and the Christian God as The IDer in other circles. But of course, they have absolutely no actual theories or writings about just what this IDer actually does. Read their writings and see if you can find it. Better men than you or me have tried, and failed.

A good example of this is the theory of "unspecified complexity" set forth by William Dembski in several books. He details a theory about an "explanatory filter" (have you even heard of this?) which is supposed to be able to take the specifications of some system as input, and give as output a judgment as to whether it's a natural or created system. But neither Dembski, nor his fellow IDers, nor anyone else, has successfully applied it to any real biological system. In other words, it's completely useless. As is the rest of ID.

: Of course, if scientists did form create "life" in the lab, then one side would have to hoist it's position upon it's own petard.

Indeed.

I want to point out here, that creationists of various sorts have had to retreat year by year with respect to human evolution. They've traditionally claimed that there are no "missing links", no kinds of creatures in some way "in between" ape-like creatures and full-blown humans. But over the years, all sorts of fossil evidence has proved them wrong. Every few years, another fossil shows yet another form of ancient hominid or ancient human or human-like creature. The most recent, just this past year, was the discovery on the Indonesian island of Flores of miniature Homo erectus fossils, some just 14,000 years old.

It may well be that biologists will one day show precisely how life might arise "by chance". Neither you nor I know if this is possible or not.

: So far the theory that life can come about by chance has been falsified by laboratory experiments.

Absolutely wrong. A correct statement is that so far, the theory that life can come about by chance has not been verified by laboratory experiments. The difference is profound.

: Third, how do you know that it can come about by randomness?

I never said it could. Personally, I take a wait and see attitude towards all theories relating to abiogenesis.

: Again, I'm arguining from agnosticism as to the validity of both theories and why they should both be included.

That's the proof that you don't understand real science. ID is a religious idea, period. IDers state that clearly, in Christian circles. Religious ideas have no place in science, period.

:: But there's a lot more to the ID movement than that.

: Movements and actual theories should be separated and recognized as two different entities.

Perhaps in principle, but it can't be done in practice. And as I've shown, IDers have a clearly stated agenda of getting the notion that their biblical, Judeo-Christian God created everything back into general acceptance, and of getting that notion accepted into every part of modern society. Do you really want that?

: I've seen neo-Darwinists argue against non-Darwinist theories by associating it with creationist movements.

Examples, please.

: Instead, we don't focus on what each movement wants, but what the actual theory says and it's own merits.

Show me someone apart from the Discovery Institute who promotes an intelligible theory of intelligent design, and I might go along with you.

:: Do you really think that they'd quietly accept a public school teaching that, say, Thor is The Intelligent Designer?

: Why not? Didn't you know the universe was forged by Thor's hammer? [/sarcasm]

Funny, but my point is dead serious. Why not answer it seriously?

:: Science continually improves, and so my main point is that you can't claim that merely because science can't explain something today, it never can. That's an obviously false claim.

: Explaning something and showing it is logical and rational is not equivalent to what actually happened. [sarcasm]

Do tell. But that has nothing to do with my comment.

: Just because scientists can't build anti-gravity wells today, doesn't mean that they never can.[/sarcasm]

Again funny, but your point is a good example of what I'm talking about. Do you have real knowledge that anti-gravity wells can't be made? I have no idea myself, but what if next year a breakthrough were made and such became practical? Don't think it can't happen. About 1895, the famous scientist Lord Kelvin pronounced that pretty much everything that could be discovered had been, and guess what? The next year Roentgen announced the discovery of X-rays, and shortly after that atomic radiation in the form of alpha particles was discovered, which quickly revolutionized science. A few years later Einstein again revolutionized physics with three Nobel-prize quality papers in one year. A few years after that we had quantum mechanics. Then we had electronics and all sorts of things not even imaginable to our ancestors. Don't be so sanguine.

: Science today says that we cannot create life or even reproduce the mechanisms that supposedly created life.

Correction: can't do it as of today. A century and change ago, "science said we couldn't fly because no one could do it." Your claim is demonstrably silly.

: Unless some scientists cannot show otherwise, to say that life cannot come about by randomness is a valid theory.

Sure. It's as valid as 150 years ago claiming that it's impossible for mankind to fly.

: It's not the same as saying, "Well, God must've done it." No, it's saying that "Life is so complex that, due to the inability of scientist to reproduce the mechanisms that produce life, this leads some to think that life could not have come about by chance," or something to that effect.

Well that's a perfectly reasonable way of putting it. But that contradicts everything you've said so far, which has been to dogmatically state that, just because it can't be done today, it's impossible.

AlanF

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    awesome classicist, thanks for coming out. pretty cool how you can type out stuff from your text books. BTW, did i not say i was studying computational biology? so how does that make me a fullblown biochemist? please don't do this to yourself, it's embarassing. perhaps you should drop the classics and get into science? it seems you enjoy it.

I would suspect that you should know something that I picked up in first year biology, unless you haven't gone through first year biology and instead rely on Dawkins for all your popularized science, which is never good to learn from.

so then you are in favour of aliens? ; it does not matter if you never brought god into your arguments. ; your arguments had god in them. ; ID is about god, in case you had not noticed. ; ID is about origins.
    you ignore the point that it is unparsimonious to introduce the possible concept of a designer for origins as probablity is not on the side of that explanation. ; you ignore the fact that the computational nature of the universe and biological systems, would make any designer not a designer at all, but a programmer. ; this would make the deist's god, the one you advocate with support of ID, even smaller and lazier than he already was.

Personally, I think it is fallacious to rely on probability to determine the veracity of historical events. Perhaps it's more nuanced than that.

You ask me to prove that God exists; I say that it is not possible to do so except through knowledge by faith. There is no other way to prove the existence of God unless you wish to provide another, perhaps more rational model by which we can prove or disprove the existence of God.

So Tetra, a being comes up to you and says it's God. How do you prove that it is God?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    I would suspect that you should know something that I picked up in first year biology, unless you haven't gone through first year biology and instead rely on Dawkins for all your popularized science, which is never good to learn from.

of course first year biology gets into some biochemistry and molecular biology. so what's your bleeding point already? i wanted to see where you got your little twee observation from.

what does it show? that chemical systems self assemble and replicate. great, thanks for helping me out. i assume you brought this up in favor of abiogenesis, since you failed to actually say anything regarding what you posted actually meant.

and how is "popularized science" mine? and why would it never be good to learn from it? grasping at straws are we? without textbooks, i would take dawkins over the pope any day. at least he's honest.

Personally, I think it is fallacious to rely on probability to determine the veracity of ;historical events. Perhaps it's more nuanced than that.

ah yes, the beauty of mystery. how resplendent!

You ask me to prove that God exists; I say that it is not possible to do so except through knowledge by faith. There is no other way to prove the existence of God unless you wish to provide another, perhaps more rational model by which we can prove or disprove the existence of God.

and you still want to introduce an unfalsifiable variable into science classes? you say god cannot be proven, even to a degree, using natural methodology. dude, you should move to kansas or ohio! wouldn't ya know, they're doing the same thing there!

So Tetra, a being comes up to you and says it's God. How do you prove that it is God?

i already answered this question a couple of weeks ago, and a few other times since coming to the board. i don't feel like typing it again. you can go look through my post history.

goodbye,

TS

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    :::: What I have said is that life (as in a cell, the simplest unit of life) cannot come about by chance

I.e., a cell cannot come about by chance. Now, if you actually meant to say that a cell cannot come about through a sequence of chance steps, that would be another kettle of fish. But I'm not a mind reader.

By simply saying that life cannot come to be by chance means that life cannot come into being by any means of chance including "one fell swoop" or "a sequence of chance steps." It's rather simple.

Upon which you've failed actually to comment.

I know plenty about ID, having read many books pro and con, and having followed it since the 1991 publication by Phillip Johnson of Darwin on Trial, which kicked the whole thing off. You've already clearly stated that all you've "heard about ID is that life is irreducibly complex and it couldn't have come about by chance." Sounds to me like you haven't done any homework, but have only been chugging along on hearsay. If your statement was, well (What's the right word? Hypobole as opposed to hyperbole? Well, you get the idea.), highly understated, then you need to learn to communicate clearly.

Well, I don't spend much time on it at all as in the grand scheme of things, there are more important things to waste my time on. In all reality, I could indeed study for hours and hours over popularized books like Dawkins. But then, I would never really *know* anything indepth, although I may be able to make it appear that way. I take exception to the naturalists smug, smegheaded attitude. In all seriousness, if you all had a lot more tact and indifference, I might actually agree with you. You see, when you get someone like me who's pissed off all the time and sees extremely rude and biased attitudes beating down on people who can't defend themselves, that makes me even more pissed. When I see people who are so blinded by their dogmatic acceptance of one way of looking at things as absolute truth, I feel the need to step in. I know that for tetra, at least, biology has become his ground in reality by which he explains life. This leads him to dogmatically accept Darwinism and attack and ridicule those who don't accept his dogmatic view of the truth.

: Second, actually, I'm trying to argue from agnosticism.

Knock me over with a feather!

It would have to be a rather large feather (perhaps one from a goose, as they're large and relatively sturdy), but, if got drunk enough, then fine.

Um, no. Science never proves anything, and all scientists worth their salt admit this. Science only comes up with explanations that have varying degrees of probability, ranging from nearly zero to nearly certain. Scientists who argue against the precepts of ID mainly argue that its claims are simply not science, or that specific arguments made by ID claimants are wrong for very specific reasons. Of course, if you'd do your homework rather than relying on hearsay, you'd know this.

We may have trouble with semantics, but science has proven lots of stuff. An hypothesis comes forward, and it gets proven (providing that it can be). Of course, this is not expandable readily to the larger ideas, but, yes, science has proven things in the past, like if you mix an acid and a base, you'll get salt and water. You may say this is fact, but someone had to prove (demonstrate) it at one time.

Better men than you or me have tried, and failed.

You're completely right. I am a fool. I'm such an idiot that I am not worthy of life. And I'm not even being sarcastic.

: Science today says that we cannot create life or even reproduce the mechanisms that supposedly created life.

Correction: can't do it as of today. A century and change ago, "science said we couldn't fly because no one could do it." Your claim is demonstrably silly.

That's what I said, unless you don't have a proper command of the English language (for all I know, it could be your second) for I said, "science today."

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    of course first year biology gets into some biochemistry and molecular biology. so what's your bleeding point already? i wanted to see where you got your little twee observation from.

what does it show? that chemical systems self assemble and replicate. great, thanks for helping me out. i assume you brought this up in favor of abiogenesis, since you failed to actually say anything regarding what you posted actually meant.

You're the one who wanted me to cite that phosopholipids self-assemble into vesicles out of your disbelief. I really didn't have any point.

and how is "popularized science" mine? and why would it never be good to learn from it? grasping at straws are we? without textbooks, i would take dawkins over the pope any day. at least he's honest.

I wouldn't take either, I'd go to the source and work from there if I truly wanted to know things.

i already answered this question a couple of weeks ago, and a few other times since coming to the board. i don't feel like typing it again. you can go look through my post history.

Please, I don't have the time to wade through all your posts. Can you prove it or not?
  • tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Well, I don't spend much time on it at all as in the grand scheme of things, there are more important things to waste my time on. In all reality, I could indeed study for hours and hours over popularized books like Dawkins. But then, I would never really *know* anything indepth, although I may be able to make it appear that way. I take exception to the naturalists smug, smegheaded attitude. In all seriousness, if you all had a lot more tact and indifference, I might actually agree with you. You see, when you get someone like me who's pissed off all the time and sees extremely rude and biased attitudes beating down on people who can't defend themselves, that makes me even more pissed. When I see people who are so blinded by their dogmatic acceptance of one way of looking at things as absolute truth, I feel the need to step in. I know that for tetra, at least, biology has become his ground in reality by which he explains life. *** This leads him to dogmatically accept Darwinism and attack and ridicule those who don't accept his dogmatic view of the truth.

if you say so classicist. if you say so. -- btw, the three little red asterisks in the quote above, is where your line of thought went from two joining sentences to a non sequitur. oh oh! and nice strawman, class.

if you're so pissed off all the time, then why don't you pray for help?

• AlanF
    AlanF

the_classicist said:

::: What I have said is that life (as in a cell, the simplest unit of life) cannot come about by chance

:: I.e., a cell cannot come about by chance. Now, if you actually meant to say that a cell cannot come about through a sequence of chance steps, that would be another kettle of fish. But I'm not a mind reader.

: By simply saying that life cannot come to be by chance means that life cannot come into being by any means of chance including "one fell swoop" or "a sequence of chance steps." It's rather simple.

But you denied saying that, ya twit! You said:

::: Wait a minute, I never said cells evolved in "one fell swoop by chance."

Which is it? Remember that I, not being drunk or high, replied:

:: First, no one is claiming that cells evolved in one fell swoop by chance. Rather, origins scientists today generally propose that the earliest life was far simpler, probably based on unknown but simple protein sequences.

:: Upon which you've failed actually to comment.

:: I know plenty about ID, having read many books pro and con, and having followed it since the 1991 publication by Phillip Johnson of Darwin on Trial, which kicked the whole thing off. You've already clearly stated that all you've "heard about ID is that life is irreducibly complex and it couldn't have come about by chance." Sounds to me like you haven't done any homework, but have only been chugging along on hearsay. If your statement was, well (What's the right word? Hypobole as opposed to hyperbole? Well, you get the idea.), highly understated, then you need to learn to communicate clearly.

: Well, I don't spend much time on it at all

That's pretty obvious, as you've already admitted and as I've pointed out. Then how is it that you feel qualified to comment on something you know almost nothing about?

Oh, wait. You've answered it below. You don't like it that ignoramuses are beaten down by facts. So you're a crusader for the downtrodden.

: as in the grand scheme of things, there are more important things to waste my time on.

I agree. Such as drinking good Canadian beer whenever possible. I tend to drink fine local microbrews, though, which are at least as good as the finest Canadian brews. And being local, they're easy to obtain in large quantities of when necessary, such as when my apostate Norwegian friends visit.

: In all reality, I could indeed study for hours and hours over popularized books like Dawkins.

Dawkins is usually entertaining and instructive, but I get most of my information from more technical sources. I've offered to give you a list, but you've declined by your silence. Why?

: But then, I would never really *know* anything indepth, although I may be able to make it appear that way.

I'm glad you reject Last-Tuesdayism.

: I take exception to the naturalists smug, smegheaded attitude.

Ooh, I like that. "Smegheaded". A double entendre.

But you really ought to look closely at attitudes that are similar, but far more exaggerated, in the Fundamentalist Christians you seem to like to defend.

: In all seriousness, if you all had a lot more tact and indifference, I might actually agree with you.

Really! So then, your objectiveness is linearly determined by our subjectiveness! I never!

: You see, when you get someone like me who's pissed off all the time

I can suggest a shrink, if you like.

: and sees extremely rude and biased attitudes beating down on people who can't defend themselves,

So you admit that creationists can't defend themselves. The obvious next question is: do you think this is because they're stupid, or because their beliefs are inherently indefensible?

: that makes me even more pissed.

Why? Note that I'm playing Eliza here.

: When I see people who are so blinded by their dogmatic acceptance of one way of looking at things as absolute truth, I feel the need to step in.

I see. I also see that you seem to have been partaking copiously of that fine Candadian beer I'd like to get my hands on. You ought to come to Fort Collins sometime and let me introduce you to some fine Colorado beer. Then we can get drunk together and argue in person. Much better that way!

: I know that for tetra, at least, biology has become his ground in reality by which he explains life.

Explaining life is a bit too heavy for me. I tend to just go with the flow these days.

: This leads him to dogmatically accept Darwinism and attack and ridicule those who don't accept his dogmatic view of the truth.

There's a lot to be said for that, when all creationist ideas boil down to blind faith.

::: Second, actually, I'm trying to argue from agnosticism.

:: Knock me over with a feather!

: It would have to be a rather large feather (perhaps one from a goose, as they're large and relatively sturdy), but, if got drunk enough, then fine.

How about an ostrich feather? They raise them around here, so I've heard, for good meat. Maybe we should get together and drink some good beer and whack each other with goose or ostrich feathers. Take your pick.

:: Um, no. Science never proves anything, and all scientists worth their salt admit this. Science only comes up with explanations that have varying degrees of probability, ranging from nearly zero to nearly certain. Scientists who argue against the precepts of ID mainly argue that its claims are simply not science, or that specific arguments made by ID claimants are wrong for very specific reasons. Of course, if you'd do your homework rather than relying on hearsay, you'd know this.

: We may have trouble with semantics, but science has proven lots of stuff.

Only within the sort of probabalistic bounds that I mentioned. Can you prove that the universe wasn't created, all our memories in place, last Tuesday? What is proof, anyway?

: An hypothesis comes forward, and it gets proven (providing that it can be).

Nope. Hypotheses only get confirmed to such a degree, paraphrasing Stephen Jay Gould, that only a twit could disagree.

: Of course, this is not expandable readily to the larger ideas, but, yes, science has proven things in the past, like if you mix an acid and a base, you'll get salt and water. You may say this is fact, but someone had to prove (demonstrate) it at one time.

This is a very good example of what I'm saying, and of why you truly don't understand science. Sure, every time scientists and everyone else has mixed an acid and a base they've gotten some sort of salt and water. Does that mean that in the future, in every time, place and circumstance, the same results will occur? Of course not. This is the way that science works: reasonable generalizations lead to reasonable conclusions, always with the sure knowledge that sometime, someplace, there might be an exception.

:: Better men than you or me have tried, and failed.

: You're completely right. I am a fool. I'm such an idiot that I am not worthy of life. And I'm not even being sarcastic.

No, you're just drunk. And a depressed drunk at that. I'm glad that when I get drunk, I'm a happy one and positive about everything. Except, perhaps, my ex.

::: Science today says that we cannot create life or even reproduce the mechanisms that supposedly created life.

:; Correction: can't do it as of today. A century and change ago, "science said we couldn't fly because no one could do it." Your claim is demonstrably silly.

: That's what I said, unless you don't have a proper command of the English language (for all I know, it could be your second) for I said, "science today."

Clearly, being drunk, you don't know what you're talking about. And I forgive you, having been in the same place often enough. Saying that "science today says that we cannot do blah blah blah" is quite different from saying that "science says that we cannot today do blah blah blah." Perhaps tomorrow, when you sober up, you'll understand.

You know, I have to say that playing word games with an intelligent but drunk guy like you is a lot more fun than dealing with the ignoramuses on this thread.

AlanF

• Pole
    Pole

classicist,
    First of all - I do enjoy most of your posts, because - regardless of the conclusions you sometimes arrive at - you do come across as a very bright-minded guy. So please don't consider it as an act of "jumping on the wagon" on my part to make this comment:
    :I'm not sure I understand the ID correctly as many people hold it to mean different things. Now all I've heard about ID is that life is irreducibly complex and it couldn't have come about by chance. This is the ID argument and there isn't anything particularly religious about it.
    I guess the expression "by chance" is a loaded one. Evolution depends on the determinism of the Universe to a large extent. Pure randomness is like infinite enthropy. It rarely happens in nature.
    Amicus Plato, sed magis amica veritas! ;-)
    Pole

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

What I find funny is many in the scientific community are so far up their own butts that they can't see that the scientific world and its institutions operate like every other single human organisation - it has its own internal belief systems and dogma. I have read articles in the New Scientist that are far more zany than anything religion ever put out and ID is far further down the track of normalcy than most religion (ID doesn't require a God - just something intelligent enough to bio engineer a world.)It has its own fads and fashions. It shuns those that don't fit in. It rewards with positions of powers those who sing to the right tune. It has a canon of accepted scripture (until new light overwrites it) and it has prophets who are adored even when they are proven wrong by the latest seer. It is run by money and the power of the sacred grant. There are great rewards for the chosen while the poor grunts in the lab have to work for a pittance.

There are many missionaries of that community who are as sneaky/devious/eloquent/smooth in preaching as any JW/Mormon/Baptist -quick example- I love reading Terapods ongoing crusade (and it is getting more vociferous each time) against religion (fought on a scientific ticket) - within a few months he's moved from the (paraphrase) 'I'd like to know if God lives - I just want some proof' to the 'its a lie' - read his history I've watched his metamorphosis - quite enlightening. The danger is he is like Alan , eloquent and clever , but that doesn't make either of them right no matter how many derogatory terms they throw into their posts or how often they refer to anyone who doesn't accept their godless dogma as somehow lacking in their mental brilliance - look I can do it too - "anyone who can't see that dismissing intelligence as a causative effect in making biological or geological processes is bad science is clearly showing some regressive amoeba gene that they so love to think they are related to" - doesn't make me right (maybe just extremely desirable to the opposite sex).

Back to my point. Evolution is a big broad church with many internally competing theories and ideas mixed up in it. Some things seem fairly factual such as micro adaptation but some things are clearly not yet facts because we haven't got all the data.

I like the idea that Forscher suggested which is the one we should all uphold - without preaching against theories with some religious zeal - let them compete together and let everyone decide without fear of being labelled inferior, stupid or out of step. Even if our anti god scientists here hate the one theory surely they can support the idea that the person who subscribes to that theory at least merits the respect as a person and shouldn't be shouted down from the cheap seats.

I stand for ID, God and freedom of thought and speech (and yes I'll bundle them all in one sentence.) There have been too many times when parts of the scientific community cocked it up for me to join "The Scientific Church Of Any Excuse to Get Rid of God/Anything Smarter Than Us."

If Alan and Tetrapod preached as JWs as much as they preach now they must have been truly awesome - were you guys elders or something?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit