Evolutionary establishment tactics

by hooberus 157 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hooberus
    hooberus

Wednesday evenings (August 24th) Fox News program "The OReilly factor" featured an interview Life after "Intelligent Design" with Dr. Richard Sternberg, editor, of the peer-reviewed journal "Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington." Dr. Sternberg's home page discusses the recriminations he faced by certain members of the evolutionary establishment after publishing an arcticle by another person advocating the possibilty of intelligent design in the peer reviewed journal.

http://www.rsternberg.net/

Post-publication retaliation and discrimination at the Smithsonian and elsewhere

To summarize what occurred after the Meyer paper was published:

Efforts to remove me from the Museum. After Smithsonian officials determined that there was no wrong-doing in the publication process for the Meyer paper and that they therefore had no grounds to remove me from my position directly, they tried to create an intolerable working environment so that I would be forced to resign. As the OSC investigation concluded, “[i]t is... clear that a hostile work environment was created with the ultimate goal of forcing you out of the SI.” In addition, it was made clear to me that my current position at the Smithsonian will not be renewed despite my excellent record of research and publication.

Efforts to get NIH to fire me. Pressure was put on the NIH to fire me.

Perceived political and religous beliefs investigated. Smithsonian officials attempted to investigate my personal religious and political beliefs in gross violation of my privacy and my First Amendment rights.

Smeared with false allegations. My professional reputation, private life, and ethics were repeatedly impugned and publicly smeared with false allegations by government employees working in tandem with a non-governmental political advocacy group, the National Center for Science Education (NCSE).

Pressured to reveal peer reviewers and to engage in improper peer review. I was repeatedly pressured to reveal the names of the peer-reviewers of the Meyer article, contrary to professional ethics. I was also told repeatedly that I should have found peer reviewers who would reject the article out-of-hand, in direct violation of professional ethics which require editors to find peer reviewers who are not prejudiced or hostile to a particular author or his/her ideas.

Creation of hostile work environment.

Supervisor replaced. I was transferred from the supervision of a friendly sponsor (supervisor) at the Museum to a hostile one.

Office space. I was twice forced to move specimens from my office space on short notice for no good reason, my name plate was removed from my office door, and eventually I was deprived of all official office space and forced to use a shared work area as my work location in the Museum.

Unprecedented work requirements. I was subjected to an array of new reporting requirements not imposed on other Research Associates.

Access to specimens limited. My access to the specimens needed for my research at the Museum was restricted. (My access to the Museum was also restricted. I was forced to give up my master key.)

In sum, it is clear that I was targeted for retaliation and harassment explicitly because I failed in an unstated requirement in my role as editor of a scientific journal: I was supposed to be a gatekeeper turning away unpopular, controversial, or conceptually challenging explanations of puzzling natural phenomena. Instead, I allowed a scientific article to be published critical of neo-Darwinism, and that was considered an unpardonable heresy.

Summary of key points regarding publication of the Meyer paper

Returning to the original dispute (and the reason for which I first created this web site): Many distortions and inaccuracies have circulated in the press and on the web regarding the publication of the Meyer paper. The key facts are:

I hold two PhDs in the area of evolutionary biology, one in molecular (DNA) evolution and the other in systems theory and theoretical biology. I have published more than 30 articles in peer-reviewed scientific books and publications. My current areas of research and writing are primarily in the areas of evolutionary theory and systematics.

In the case of the Meyer paper I followed all the standard procedures for publication in the Proceedings. As managing editor it was my prerogative to choose the editor who would work directly on the paper, and as I was best qualified among the editors I chose myself, something I had done before in other appropriate cases. In order to avoid making a unilateral decision on a potentially controversial paper, however, I discussed the paper on at least three occasions with another member of the Council of the Biological Society of Washington (BSW), a scientist at the National Museum of Natural History. Each time, this colleague encouraged me to publish the paper despite possible controversy.

The Meyer paper underwent a standard peer review process by three qualified scientists, all of whom are evolutionary and molecular biologists teaching at well-known institutions. The reviewers provided substantial criticism and feedback to Dr. Meyer, who then made significant changes to the paper in response. Subsequently, after the controversy arose, Dr. Roy McDiarmid, President of the Council of the BSW, reviewed the peer-review file and concluded that all was in order. As Dr. McDiarmid informed me in an email message on August 25th, 2004, "Finally, I got the [peer] reviews and agree that they are in support of your decision [to publish the article]."

Following my resignation in October 2003, a new managing editor for the Proceedings was selected in May of 2004, and the transition from my editorship to the new editor has taken place over the past few months. By the time that the controversy emerged I was finishing up my last editorial responsibilities. Thus, my stepping down had nothing to do with the publication of the Meyer paper.

A full discussion of the publication issues is available here.

_______________________________________________________________________________________ Also provided is a recent copy of a letter from the U.S. OFFICE OF SPECIAL COUNSEL describing their preliminary findings into the actions by certain evolutionists against Dr. Sternberg. Below are some excerpts from the government investigation letter:

http://www.rsternberg.net/OSC_ltr.htm

"Of great import is the fact that these same SI and NMNH employees immediately aligned themselves with the National Center for Science Education (NCSE). Our investigation shows that NCSE is a political advocacy organization dedicated to defeating any introduction of ID, creationism or religion into the American education system. In fact, members of NCSE worked closely with SI and NMNH members in outlining a strategy to have you investigated and discredited within the SI."

"Retaliation

Our preliminary investigation indicates that retaliation came in many forms. It came in the form of attempts to change your working conditions and even proposals to change how the SI retains and deals with future RAs. During the process you were personally investigated and your professional competence was attacked. Misinformation was disseminated throughout the SI and to outside sources. The allegations against you were later determined to be false. It is also clear that a hostile work environment was created with the ultimate goal of forcing you out of the SI."

Below is additional information:

http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/index.php?command=view&id=2193

http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/index.php?command=view&id=2209

http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/index.php?command=view&id=2399&program=News&callingPage=discoMainPage

• hooberus
    hooberus

On the NCSE own website a "resourse" appears which recommends the some of the following psychological and legal tactics to censor out the consideration of presenting alternatives to students and even the mere presentation of evidence against evolution (along with the usual evidence for it): http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/index.php?command=view&id=2399&program=News&callingPage=discoMainPage 12 Tips for Testifying at School Board Meetings by Eugenie C Scott 1. Show up, stand up, and speak up. Elected school board officials respond to numbers, so try to get as many people as possible to attend the meeting-the school board must not think that opponents of evolution are the only voices in the community. Scatter yourself throughout the audience and applaud those on your side.

11. Mention the legal issues. In 1987, the United States Supreme Court held in Edwards v. Aguillard (482 U.S. 578) that it is unconstitutional to require the teaching of creation science. In subsequent rulings, district courts held that individual teachers may not advocate creation science (for example, Webster v. New Lenox School District #122, 917 F. 2d. 1004; John E. Peloza v. Capistrano Unified School District, 37 F. 3d. 517). Gently remind the school board that including creationism in the science curriculum is likely to provoke a lawsuit-and lawsuits are expensive.

12. Stay in touch. Keep NCSE informed about your situation. We are here to help-and we love to spread the good news about ideas that work!

• hooberus
    hooberus

The follwing letter excerpts (from a member of the National Academy of Sciences) also reveals some candid points (generally specifically about the Darwinian orthodoxy):

http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/index.php?command=view&id=2568

"All too often, the issue of how to teach evolutionary theory has been dominated by voices at the extremes. On one extreme, many religious activists have advocated for Bible-based ideas about creation to be taught and for evolution to be eliminated from the science curriculum entirely. On the other hand, many committed Darwinian biologists present students with an idealized version of the theory that glosses over real problems and prevents students from learning about genuine scientific criticisms of it.

Both these extremes are mistaken. Evolution is an important theory and students need to know about it. But scientific journals now document many scientific problems and criticisms of evolutionary theory and students need to know about these as well.

Many of the scientific criticisms of which I speak are well known by scientists in various disciplines, including the disciplines of chemistry and biochemistry, in which I have done my work. I have found that some of my scientific colleagues are very reluctant to acknowledge the existence of problems with evolutionary theory to the general public. They display an almost religious zeal for a strictly Darwinian view of biological origins."

"For those scientists who take it seriously, Darwinian evolution has functioned more as a philosophical belief system than as a testable scientific hypothesis. This quasi-religious function of the theory is, I think, what lies behind many of the extreme statements that you have doubtless encountered from some scientists opposing any criticism of neo-Darwinism in the classroom. It is also why many scientists make public statements about the theory that they would not defend privately to other scientists like me.

In my judgment, this state of affairs has persisted mainly because too many scientists were afraid to challenge what had become a philosophical orthodoxy among their colleagues. Fortunately, that is changing as many scientists are now beginning to examine the evidence for neo-Darwinism more openly and critically in scientific journals.

I commend you for your efforts to ensure that students are more fully informed about current debates over neo-Darwinism in the scientific community.

Yours sincerely,

Professor Philip S. Skell Member, National Academy of Sciences
    Evan Pugh Professor of Chemistry, Emeritus
    Penn State University"

• hooberus
    hooberus

Even the mild action of a textbook sticker encouraging students to approach evolution "with an open mind" came under the wrath of the ACLU and the evolutionary establishment:

"This textbook contains material on evolution. Evolution is a theory, not a fact, regarding the origin of living things. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered." see also http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2004/1112sticker.asp

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

What if a guy serving as an intern at Microsoft published an article on Microsoft's web site that suggested that Linux was a better o/s and people should really look into it? How would he be viewed at Microsoft?

Sternberg has every right to believe what he likes, entertain any ideas that he likes. But it could bring down the reputation of the Smithsonian if he is allowed to publish material like this. It isn't a question of whether ID is right or wrong, reasonable or fantasy. It's about it being in contrast to prevailing scientific opinion. The emails traded around the Smithsonian staff make it sound like they were embarrassed to have the article associated with them, and that embarrassment could lead to real financial loss in the form of grants that aren't approved and donors refusing to pony up cash if they see what are perceived as unscientific articles appearing in the Institution's publications.

It's thorny and it's not at all black and white. But in the end, I think it was a poor choice to publish the article. People are often asked to leave their positions when they make poor choices.

Dave

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    It isn't a question of whether ID is right or wrong, reasonable or fantasy. It's about it being in contrast to prevailing scientific opinion.

Well, the reason ID is "in contrast to prevailing scientific opinion" is because it's wrong, unreasonable and fantastic.

The paper in question contained nothing new, just the same old tired attacks on neo-Darwinism with no positive evidence for "Intelligent Design". It was not worthy to appear in a peer-reviewed journal, and it's clear that Meyer is not a biologist.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    Even the mild action of a textbook sticker encouraging students to approach evolution "with an open mind" came under the wrath of the ACLU and the evolutionary establishment:

"This textbook contains material on evolution. Evolution is a theory, not a fact, regarding the origin of living things. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered."

Well I could live with a sticker like that. But would like to see a sticker on the bibles used in religious schools: "This book contains material that is about God. The existance of God is just a theory, this and book contains scientific errors. Believing everything in this book can be dangerous for society" Deal?

• hooberus
    hooberus
    The paper in question contained nothing new, just the same old tired attacks on neo-Darwinism with no positive evidence for "Intelligent Design". It was not worthy to appear in a peer-reviewed journal, and it's clear that Meyer is not a biologist.

http://www.rsternberg.net/publication_details.htm "After the initial positive conversation with my Council member colleague, I sent the paper out for review to four experts. Three reviewers responded and were willing to review the paper; all are experts in relevant aspects of evolutionary and molecular biology and hold full-time faculty positions in major research institutions, one at an Ivy League university, another at a major North American public university, a third on a well-known overseas research faculty. There was substantial feedback from reviewers to the author, resulting in significant changes to the paper. The reviewers did not necessarily agree with Dr. Meyer's arguments or his conclusion but all found the paper meritorious and concluded that it warranted publication. The reviewers felt that the issues raised by Meyer were worthy of scientific debate. I too disagreed with many aspects of the Meyer paper but I agreed with their overall assessment and accepted the paper for publication. Thus, four well-qualified biologists with five PhDs in relevant disciplines were of the professional opinion that the paper was worthy of publication."

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Ha ha, good one, DannyBloem.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

It's okay to go after evolution. Scientists test and retest all the time to validate the "scientific theory". It's also okay to look at ID. The problem with ID, though, is that proper test after proper test cannot validate ID as a proper "scientific theory".

Unfortunately what is happening is people like hooberus wish to push their creationist/ID "beliefs" instead of practicing proper science to prove or disprove portions of evolution.

The "review article" (note it was not a true scientific experiment) should never have been published except only to bring debate as to what is wrong with the ID.

I believe the following comments found below sums up my thoughts on the "review article". The comments proivde the false claims made by Meyers and the information he missed.

http://www.pandasthumb.org/pt-archives/000430.html

Its embarrassing that some on this board will try to push their "beliefs" in a science field without practicing proper science.

hawk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit