Evolutionary establishment tactics

by hooberus 157 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hooberus
    hooberus
    The "review article" (note it was not a true scientific experiment) should never have been published except only to bring debate as to what is wrong with the ID.

I believe the following comments found below sums up my thoughts on the "review article". The comments proivde the false claims made by Meyers and the information he missed.

http://www.pandasthumb.org/pt-archives/000430.html

Its embarrassing that some on this board will try to push their "beliefs" in a science field without practicing proper science.

hawk

The arcticle you linked to (which was written by staff members of the previously discussed "National Center for Science Education" (NCSE), has been responded to in this arcticle: http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/index.php?command=view&id=2228

• rebel8
    rebel8

This is a good reason to vote!!

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

I think this newspaper article sums up my feels very well on what is going on here and in the Discovery Institute ...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002450329_danny24.html

Bob Davidson is a scientist — a doctor, and for 28 years a nephrology professor at the University of Washington medical school.

He's also a devout Christian who believes we're here because of God. It was these twin devotions to science and religion that first attracted him to Seattle's Discovery Institute. That's the think tank that this summer has pushed "intelligent design" — a replacement theory for evolution — all the way to the lips of President Bush and into the national conversation.

Davidson says he was seeking a place where people "believe in a Creator and also believe in science.

"I thought it was refreshing," he says.

Not anymore. He's concluded the institute is an affront to both science and religion.

"When I joined I didn't think they were about bashing evolution. It's pseudo-science, at best ... What they're doing is instigating a conflict between science and religion."

I got Davidson's name off a list of 400 people with scientific degrees, provided by the Discovery Institute, who are said to doubt the "central tenets of Darwin's theory of evolution." Davidson, at 78 a UW professor emeritus, says he shouldn't be on the list because he believes "the scientific evidence for evolution is overwhelming."

He's only one scientist, one opinion in our ongoing debate about evolution and faith. But I bring you Davidson's views because I suspect he is a bellwether for the Discovery Institute and intelligent design, as more scientists learn about them. He was attracted to an institute that embraced both science and religion, yet he found its critique of existing science wrong and its new theory empty.

"I'm kind of embarrassed that I ever got involved with this," Davidson says.

He was shocked, he says, when he saw the Discovery Institute was calling evolution a "theory in crisis."

"It's laughable: There have been millions of experiments over more than a century that support evolution," he says. "There's always questions being asked about parts of the theory, as there are with any theory, but there's no real scientific controversy about it."

Davidson began to believe the institute is an "elaborate, clever marketing program" to tear down evolution for religious reasons. He read its writings on intelligent design — the notion that some of life is so complex it must have been designed — and found them lacking in scientific merit.

Then Davidson, who attends First Presbyterian Church in Bellevue, heard a sermon in which the pastor argued it's foolish to try to use science to understand God. Science is about measuring things, and God is immeasurable, the pastor said.

"It just clicked with me that this whole movement is wrongheaded on all counts," Davidson said. "It's a misuse of science, and a misuse of religion. "Why can't we just keep the two separate?"

That's a good question, especially coming from someone who believes strongly in both.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Yes. The evolutionary establishment is overly dogmatic and rabidly fanatical about their sacred cow Darwinism (note: minute variations in traits can account for the difference between sacred cows and regular ones; but they are always of the same bovine kind ). The generation of new functionally specific genetic information couldn't have come about that quickly by stochastic, blind processes alone. So they must have come from an outside source. Ergo:PANSPERMIA is the obvious explanation to the establishment and diversity of life on Earth. (www.panspermia.org) Many viral and bacterial sequences have been identified in your DNA and mine. Who are we really the children of?

[ Edited to add: please in no way take this as an offense to you personally Hooberus. I rather enjoyed some of the past material you've brought up. This was just a snarky jab to show that its not just "ID proponents" who think they're being overlooked. Some panspermia proponents make the same claim. At least they have more persuasive evidence.]

• AlanF
    AlanF

As is usual with creationists, we find hooberus here putting forth one-sided and misleading information about this Dr. Sternberg's publishing a creationism-oriented article in a peer-reviewed taxonomic journal. I recently read an article on this in Skeptic magazine (Vol 11, No. 4, 2005, pp. 66-69) and so I was interested in hooberus' information.

In a nutshell, what happened was that Dr. Sternberg, a Christian creationist, misused his position as editor of the minor technical journal Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington to bypass the normal editorial reviewing process to get published an article by the Intelligent Design creationist Dr. Stephen Meyer. If the normal review process were followed, the article never would have been published, partly for obvious reasons and partly because its content was quite out of character with the articles on taxonomy that the journal normally handles. Furthermore, it appears likely that Sternberg chose some of his creationist buddies who hold science positions at several Christian colleges to do the required peer review. Naturally, the scientists at the Smithsonian Institution who were hoodwinked and embarassed by Sternberg's unethical conduct took action against him. I completely agree with all efforts that were made to censure Sternberg for his unethical conduct.

One website I found contains a good deal of information on this business ( http://www.geocities.com/lclane2/pbsw.html ), and I'm putting some of its information in this post.

On his website ( http://www.rsternberg.net/ ) Sternberg states that:

Smithsonian officials determined that there was no wrong-doing in the publication process for the Meyer paper.

Perhaps not wrongdoing in the sense of violating a specific rule (although the governing council of the journal disputes this), but Sternberg knew exactly what he was doing when he did an end-run around the normal review process. He knew what he was doing when he chose his creationist buddies to do the peer-review, and when he didn't run an article he knew would be extremely controversial by the board of editors of the journal. He knew quite well that the article wouldn't pass muster if non-creationists reviewed it, and that it was altogether inappropriate for that journal. So Sternberg certainly violated normal science ethics, and was guilty of professional misconduct. It's no wonder that other scientists now refuse to work with him. He violated the integrity of the scientific process.

Here is an official statement (undated) from the journal's editorial board ( http://www.biolsocwash.org/id_statement.html ):

STATEMENT FROM THE COUNCIL OF THE BIOLOGICAL

SOCIETY OF WASHINGTON

The paper by Stephen C. Meyer, "The origin of biological information and the higher taxonomic categories," in vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 213-239 of the Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington, was published at the discretion of the former editor, Richard v. Sternberg. Contrary to typical editorial practices, the paper was published without review by any associate editor; Sternberg handled the entire review process. The Council, which includes officers, elected councilors, and past presidents, and the associate editors would have deemed the paper inappropriate for the pages of the Proceedings because the subject matter represents such a significant departure from the nearly purely systematic content for which this journal has been known throughout its 122-year history. For the same reason, the journal will not publish a rebuttal to the thesis of the paper, the superiority of intelligent design (ID) over evolution as an explanation of the emergence of Cambrian body-plan diversity. The Council endorses a resolution on ID published by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (http://www.aaas.org/news/releases/2002/1106id2.shtml), which observes that there is no credible scientific evidence supporting ID as a testable hypothesis to explain the origin of organic diversity. Accordingly, the Meyer paper does not meet the scientific standards of the Proceedings.

We have reviewed and revised editorial policies to ensure that the goals of the Society, as reflected in its journal, are clearly understood by all. Through a web presence (http://www.biolsocwash.org) and improvements in the journal, the Society hopes not only to continue but to increase its service to the world community of systematic biologists.

Here is a dated statement from the board, from the National Center for Science Education ( http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/news/2004/ZZ/608_bsw_repudiates_meyer_9_7_2004.asp ):

BSW repudiates Meyer
    A new development in the controversy about the publication of "intelligent design" advocate Stephen C. Meyer's article "The origin of biological information and the higher taxonomic categories" in the Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington.
    The Biological Society of Washington issued a statement on September 7, 2004, reading, in its entirety:
    The paper by Stephen C. Meyer in the Proceedings ("The origin of biological information and the higher taxonomic categories," vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 213-239) represents a significant departure from the nearly purely taxonomic content for which this journal has been known throughout its 124-year history. It was published without the prior knowledge of the Council, which includes officers, elected councilors, and past presidents, or the associate editors. We have met and determined that all of us would have deemed this paper inappropriate for the pages of the Proceedings.
    We endorse the spirit of a resolution on Intelligent Design set forth by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (www.aaas.org/news/releases/2002/1106id2.shtml), and that topic will not be addressed in future issues of the Proceedings. We are reviewing editorial policies to ensure that the goals of the Society, as reflected in its journal, are clearly understood by all. Through a web presence (www.biolsocwash.org) and contemplated improvements in the journal, the Society hopes not only to continue but to increase its service to the world community of taxonomic biologists.
    According to the PBSW's instructions for contributors, "Manuscripts are reviewed by a board of Associate Editors and appropriate referees." It seems, therefore, that Meyer's paper was not published in accordance with the journal's established review procedure.

On his website, Sternberg complains that his reputation was smeared by false allegations, but gives little supporting evidence. He complains that he was:

Pressured to reveal peer reviewers and to engage in improper peer review. I was repeatedly pressured to reveal the names of the peer-reviewers of the Meyer article, contrary to professional ethics. I was also told repeatedly that I should have found peer reviewers who would reject the article out-of-hand, in direct violation of professional ethics which require editors to find peer reviewers who are not prejudiced or hostile to a particular author or his/her ideas.

Since the peer-reviewers he chose were almost certainly his creationist buddies, of course he would come under pressure to reveal them. But he certainly didn't want to do that, and he knew that peer reviewers are normally kept anonymous, and so he knowingly used the normal ethics of the review process to engage in unethical conduct. A simple solution would have been for the peer-reviewers to allow Sternberg to reveal their names, but it's quite obvious why none of these guys wanted that done.

Sternberg states his view of what happened:

In sum, it is clear that I was targeted for retaliation and harassment explicitly because I failed in an unstated requirement in my role as editor of a scientific journal: I was supposed to be a gatekeeper turning away unpopular, controversial, or conceptually challenging explanations of puzzling natural phenomena. Instead, I allowed a scientific article to be published critical of neo-Darwinism, and that was considered an unpardonable heresy.

In view of the above facts, it's clear that Sternberg's summary is a misrepresentation of what happened. He was targeted, not for violating the unstated requirement he mentioned, but for violating normal professional ethics. He knew perfectly well that Meyer's article would never pass normal peer review, and so he misused his professional position to get around the normal process. The article could not pass normal peer review for a very simple reason: the ideas of Intelligent Design it promoted are not science but Christian religion. Really, simple common sense should have told Sternberg that he should have gotten a buy-in from the entire editoral board before publishing an article he knew perfectly well would be highly controversial.

Sternberg states that he actually did run his plan to publish the article by a fellow staffer at the National Museum of Natural History, but he does not name him. I suspect that this staffer is also a creationist. And of course, the entire editorial board has stated that it would have rejected the article, as shown above.

Sternberg argues that the paper was not outside the scope of the journal's normal contents, but the editorial board disagrees with him.

Sternberg complains of being labeled a young-earth creationist, but in all of his website, he does not deny being a creationist. He's closely associated with the "Baraminology Study Group" (he's on the editorial board of its newsletter), which is basically a young-earth creationist think-tank sort of group. He published some words about his association here: http://www.rsternberg.net/BSG.htm . Reading between the lines, it appears that Sternberg is an old-earth creationist of some sort -- a position held by most of the major players in the Intelligent Design community. Sternberg's statements are more interesting for what they don't say than for what they do. More information on this can be found here: http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/2005/08/sternberg_and_t.html#more . Furthermore, according to one web article ( http://www.aaas.org/spp/dser/evolution/issues/peerreview.shtml ), "He is also a Fellow of the International Society for Complexity, Information, and Design (ISCID), which promotes intelligent design." According to another ( http://webapp.utexas.edu/blogs/archives/sarkarlab/002980.html ), "Sternberg was also a signatory of the Discovery Institute's “100 Scientists Who Doubt Darwinism” statement." The Discovery Institute is the official home of the self-styled Intelligent Design Movement.

I'll summarize with a comment from one website ( http://www.steveverdon.com/archives/evolutioncreationism/002031.html ):

Sternberg is simply getting what he deserves. If I was the deacon of some church, or some paid staff member of the Southern Baptist Convention, or some other group, and I inserted an atheistic screed into the monthly magazine, I think that I'd have failed in upholding the standards of conduct that the church expected of me and have generally acted irresponsibly and I'd expect to be fired.

This is the same prinicple at work. Sternberg was required to publish scientific articles and not articles that had as a central thesis that life is created by magic. This isn't science and doesn't belong in a science journal. He brought disrepute to the journal and the sponsoring organization and as is clearly evident by how his colleagues are treating him, and onto himself as well, for he seems to have placed personal religious belief over his responsibilities and training as a scientist and editor.

Let him make scrambled eggs with the mess he's made. I have no sympathy for his plight and that no other scientists want to co-author research with him. I wouldn't want my name attached to research with someone of ill-repute.

AlanF

• Forscher
    Forscher

let me see if I get this right. The evolutionists here have no problem with fellow evolutionists acting in an unethical, possibly illegeal in the defense of evolution? It's allright to destroy a man's career by SLANDERING him for allowing an article contrary ot the establishment's position to be published?

What do you folks have to fear if the ID position is as foolish as you say? Nothing! If it is that rediculous as I constantly read here, than you have nothing to fear. Others would see it for what it is. But, then, it is feared because it makes a valid point. And that is why no measure is to low to be used in suppressing it. Looks the same as the WTBTS to me!!

Forscher

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    What do you folks have to fear if the ID position is as foolish as you say? Nothing!

for,

the problem being that, apart from ID being a LIE, there is also the risk of it being taken seriously by people who have not learned to think for themselves. people who would like to continue thinking that they are a special creation, and that all the earths resources are here, naturally, for their taking. this is dangerous for the survival of our species. religion, and by extension creationism, makes humans stupider than they already are.

danny,

sweet man. i would love to get my hands on some stickers like that. he he...

TS

• AlanF
    AlanF

Forscher wrote:

: let me see if I get this right.

You didn't.

: The evolutionists here have no problem with fellow evolutionists acting in an unethical, possibly illegeal in the defense of evolution? It's allright to destroy a man's career by SLANDERING him for allowing an article contrary ot the establishment's position to be published?

Obviously you either didn't read the above material, or didn't read enough to get the sense of it, or simply failed to understand what you read.

The points are simple:

Sternberg violated professional ethics by allowing an inappropriate article to be published in a narrow technical journal.

Sternberg violated common sense by allowing what he knew would be a very controversial article to be published in said journal without first running it by the full editorial board.

Sternberg clearly knew what he was doing, and therefore deliberately created a highly charged situation.

Sternberg was not slandered. (Or do you consider calling him a young-earth creationist slander?)

Sternberg got precisely the treatment to be expected for anyone who violates professional ethics and common sense the way he did.

: What do you folks have to fear if the ID position is as foolish as you say? Nothing! If it is that rediculous as I constantly read here, than you have nothing to fear. Others would see it for what it is. But, then, it is feared because it makes a valid point. And that is why no measure is to low to be used in suppressing it. Looks the same as the WTBTS to me!!

Your position ignores political reality. ID is in no sense science -- it is religion. IDers have a political strategy they call "The Wedge" which is designed to take advantage of the ignorance of the majority of Americans about most science issues and to play on their natural sense of fairness: "Why not let people examine all sides of the evolution/creation issue?" Well of course, good science is not done by majority vote, but by hard work in testing theories and making observations. IDers want to circumvent this process by ultimately legislating that the Christian brand of creationism (as opposed to, say, the Hare Krishna brand) be taught in public schools as if it had undergone the rigorous testing that the theory of evolution has for a century and a half. The problem for science is that American religion has enough political clout to do exactly that.

AlanF

• Daunt
    Daunt

No matter which way you slice it. It is essential religious individuals trying to get religion back in school. Of course there should be even and balanced review of scientific issues in the scientific world. Too bad Intelligent Design isn't science. If the masses had the idea that intelligent design was something actually worth while it will put the scientific community even deeper in the hole. That will give them, "evidence" that the evil scientists are as oppressing and dogmatic as they are. This will just put us deeper into illusionist thinking as a country making us ever more susceptible to control by governments. May seem like I have jumped the gun a little bit but most of this illusionist thinking is already in affect. Now, people who believe in this Intelligent Design is seeing how scientists don't want to touch the issue. Since many people that believe in Intelligent Design do not neccissarily see their point as being possibly wrong (I said many not all just to make sure) they will go to the default and defensive position. They are covering it up, they are scared that their theories might not stand up to it. This is just not the case.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Here are some comments from the latest Skeptic magazine (Vol. 11, No. 4, 2005, pp. 66-69) article "Creationism's Holy Grail: The Intelligent Design of a Peer-Reviewed Paper" by Robert Weitzel, which comments on Intelligent Design creationist Stephen Meyer's article "The Origin of Biological Information and the Higher Taxonomic Categories" published in Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington (Vol. 117, No. 2, pp. 213-239; the Discovery Institute's Center for Science & Culture has made Meyer's article available here: http://www.geocities.com/lclane2/pbsw.html ; note that the Discovery Institute was started by today's leading Intelligent Design advocates). The then managing editor of Proceedings, one Dr. Richard von Sternberg, snuck past the normal editorial review process and got the article published, which would never have happened if he had done due diligence. Sternberg, in fact, violated professional ethics by doing so. No surprise, really, because it appears that he's an Intelligent Design creationist himself. See my above post for more details.

Weitzel writes:

Like the medieval prince who forfeited his kingdom in a quest for the Holy Grail, Intelligent Design creationists (IDers) have embarked on the equally quixotic quest to place a peer-reviewed article in a bona fide scientific journal. This 21st-century Grail is a linchpin in the intelligent design movement's strategy for winning their case in both the court of law and the court of public opinon.

IDers maintain that life is too complex to have developed solely by evolutionary mechanisms. They believe this complexity could only have been engineered by an intelligent designer. Strategically, they refrain from identifying the nature of the designer. This tactic is designed to give their notion of creation a patina of scientific credibility and protection from First Amendment challenges.

. . .

The CSC's [Center for Science and Culture] guiding principle is to "replace materialistic explanations with the theistic understanding that nature and humans are created by God." They will accept nothing less than the "complete overthrow of materialism and its damning cultural legacies." To achieve this end, [leading ID advocate Phillip] Johnson, with help from the Fellows at the CSC, developed the Wedge Strategy, a 20-year plan with the ultimate goal "to see design theory permeate our religion, cultural, moral and political life." However, it is the first strategic objective of the Wedge, "to see intelligent design theory as an accepted alternative in the sciences," that set the knights of the CSC to searching for creationism's Holy Grail, a peer-reviewed scientific article.

Imagine the sense of vindication felt by ID's rank-and-file when, after waiting nearly 15 years, a review article written by Stephen Meyer, Director and Senior Fellow of the CSC and professor at the theologically conservative Christian Palm Beach Atlantic University, appeared in a bona fide scientific journal. Predictably though, their long awaited golden chalice turned out to be little more than a Tupperware cup.

Weitzel briefly describes the article, as I've described in my above post, and continues:

Considering the odds against Meyer's article appearing in the BSW journal, one can only infer that its publication was engineered by an "intelligent designer." The intelligent designer in this case is the Proceedings' editor at the time, Dr. Richard Sternberg. In defending his decision to publish Meyer's article, Dr. Sternberg claims to have followed the Society's editorial policy for peer-review. On his homepage Dr. Sternberg writes: "As managing editor it was my prerogative to choose the editor who would work directly on the paper, and as I was best qualified among the editors I chose myself." What he does not emphasize on his site are his affiliations that qualifed him to favorably review an article on intelligent design.

In addition to his work as a taxonomist at the National Center for Biotechnology Information, Dr. Sternberg is on the editorial board of the Occasional Papers of the Baraminology Study Group, a creation journal committed to the literal interpretation of Genesis. He is a Fellow of the International Society for Complexity, Information, and Design, which promotes intelligent design creationism. He is also a signatory of the Discovery Institute's "100 Scientists who Doubt Darwinism" statement.

Dr. Sternberg further asserts that "Meyer's paper underwent a standard peer review process by three qualified scientists, all of whom are evolutionary and molecular biologists teaching at well-known institutions." Since it is not unusual for reviewers to remain anonymous, it is entirely possible that Sternberg sent the article to the qualified scientists of his Baraminology Study Group at Bob Jones University, The Master's College, and Bryan College, all of which are well-known Christian institutions that require their faculty to sign a statement of belief in the inerrancy of Holy Scripture.

Weitzel goes on to critique Meyer's article, using material from a critique titled "Meyer's Hopeless Monster" (Alan Gishlick, Nick Matzke, and Wesley R. Elsberry; http://www.pandasthumb.org/pt-archives/000430.html ). He concludes:

In a summary, the authors of "Meyer's Hopeless Monster" conclude that Meyer has merely constructed "a rhetorical edifice out of omissions of relevant facts, selective quoting, bad analogies, knocking down strawmen, and tendentious interpretations." But the documentation of massive errors and omissions by members of the scientific community is of little consequence to Meyer and the CSC. Despite their rhetoric about the censorship of an entrenched scientific brotherhood, recognition by the "brotherhood" is far less important to the achievemnt of the CSC's ultimate goal than is recognition by an uninformed, voting public. Their Grail, however plastic, was secured the moment the ink dried on the Proceeding's pages. Thereafter they can claim that intelligent design has passed the litmus test of a peer-reviewed journal. They will just leave out a few details, such as the particular circumstances of the essay's publication or its official denunciation by the BSW.

Even though the proponents of ID have so far failed to place an article in a journal with an impact factor similar to that of Nature, Science, or Cell, they have been remarkably successful in the Op-Ed pages of leading U.S. newspapers, where opinion trumps the scientific method. As CSC founding Fellow Michael Behe pointed out in a February 7, 2005, New York Times opinion piece: "Whatever special restrictions scientists adopt for themselves don't bind the public, which polls show, overwhelmingly, and sensibly, thinks that life was designed." Sadly, according to a 2002 Times/CNN poll, 59% of that same public also expects the prophecies found in the Book of Revelation to come true.

It is this 59% of the American public that IDers at the CSC had in mind when they engineered the Wedge Strategy. They are counting on this majority, whose members have never cracked the spine of a scientific journal in search of a peer-reviewed article, to cary the banner of their Kulturkampf from the local school board, through the court, and onto the public square.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit