Evolutionary establishment tactics

by hooberus 157 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    The medical establishment has rejected the idea that radiation is "healthy".

I don't know, I think light radiation is good for you; I mean, we couldn't live without it.

ID isn't science, so it shouldn't be in a science journal. It's not ;a question of it being "right" or not, it's just about what category it belongs in. ID is a religious argument, it belongs in religious forums.

I'm not sure I understand the ID correctly as many people hold it to mean different things. Now all I've heard about ID is that life is irreducibly complex and it couldn't have come about by chance. This is the ID argument and there isn't anything particularly religious about it.

The onus is actually upon the non-ID people to show that life can come about by chance; the ID theory holds that this is impossible and it is to be given as much credence as the non-ID opinion, especially since the non-ID cannot prove that life did come about by chance as of yet, although some scientists are trying by experimenting with primodrial soup.

• AlanF
    AlanF

You two, hooberus and Forscher, are really amusing stereotypes of the Fundamentalists who cause such trouble for reasonable Christians. You ignore everything you can't deal with, which includes the most telling arguments against your claims. Even when pointed questions are emphasized, you ignore them. That's dishonest, and exactly what I've come to expect from such people over the years. In that, you're much like the typical JW apologists who cherry pick what they'll respond to, and ignore most of the arguments they're confronted with.

Now to business.

As I've pointed out, and you've ignored, Richard Sternberg seems not to have violated "the letter of the law" as regards Smithsonian Institution rules and the written guidelines of the Proceedings journal. If he had, he would almost certainly have been fired. But he most certainly violated the unwritten rules of ethics that all scientists are expected to observe. In particular, he violated the common sense ethical rule for journal editors that if an editor wants to publish an article he knows will be extremely controversial and is liable to embarass most everyone else on the journal's staff, he should get a buy-in from the editorial board or governing council as a whole. It's irrelevant whether the journal has written rules about this -- it's a common sense ethical practice. All scientists are expected to have this common sense after having gone through a Ph.D. program. People who don't have this common sense are by definition bad scientists and should not be allowed to practice science in a reputable institution.

The fact is that the governing council of the Proceedings journal issued an official statement that Sternberg violated their confidence by making an end run around the unwritten rules he was well aware of. Sternberg knew in advance that publishing the ID article would be highly controversial. That's why he was careful to pick exactly the right people to discuss his plans with. It's extremely significant that none of the parties involved -- neither Sternberg's supposed peer-reviewers, nor the person on the Proceedings council who he claims he discussed it with (who is almost certainly another IDer, like Sternberg) -- have come forward to verify Sternberg's claims. So all we have is Sternberg's word. And of course, no one in the regular science community trusts him anymore, given his track record.

Obviously you two refuse to admit that you understand any of this, so let me once again pose the question from Eugenie Scott:

"If this was a corporation, and an employee did something that really embarrassed the administration, really blew it, how long do you think that person would be employed?"

Your refusal to give a proper answer will prove that you're thoroughly dishonest.

What you two are really doing is playing Pharisee, just like Sternberg. You're ignoring the spirit of an honest and open science community, and substituting a Pharisaic "rule of law", where you think that if there isn't a specific rule or law to cover a situation, anything goes. Well I've got news for you: Neither science nor business works that way. Anyone who is a real player in those fields understands that there's a lot more to playing than following a written set of rules.

Now for some specific responses to your comments.

Hooberus said:

: The information I presented was not "misleading" and was backed up a govenment investigation letter.

The information was incomplete and therefore misleading. You failed to present any comments at all from anyone who took Sternberg to task. Therefore your information was as biased as anything from the Watchtower Society.

I had said:

:: In a nutshell, what happened was that Dr. Sternberg, a Christian creationist, misused his position as editor of the minor technical journal Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington to bypass the normal editorial reviewing process to get published an article by the Intelligent Design creationist Dr. Stephen Meyer.

You replied with a quotation from Sternberg:

: In the case of the Meyer paper I followed all the standard procedures for publication in the Proceedings. . .

This is precisely the sort of Pharisaic, Watchtowerish response I've come to expect from Fundies.

I had said:

:: If the normal review process were followed, the article never would have been published, partly for obvious reasons and partly because its content was quite out of character with the articles on taxonomy that the journal normally handles.

: The normal review process was followed.

So Sternberg claims, but refuses to prove. But when something as obviously controversial as publishing a pro-ID paper in a normal science journal is contemplated, the "normal review process" -- by scientific convention and simple common sense -- must include getting the approval of the entire editorial board. Sternberg followed the normal process for the type of article normally published in Proceedings -- articles on taxonomy and such. Common sense says that anything out of the ordinary should be given extraordinary treatment.

: The following explains this (and answers many objections such as the above):

Already dealt with in previous posts. Let's continue:

:: Furthermore, it appears likely that Sternberg chose some of his creationist buddies who hold science positions at several Christian colleges to do the required peer review.

: The reviewers held qualified degrees in science.

What's your proof? All we have is Sternberg's word. And since he's violated a trust, why should anyone trust anything he says?

I'll again quote Weitzel writing in the Skeptic article I quoted:

Dr. Sternberg further asserts that "Meyer's paper underwent a standard peer review process by three qualified scientists, all of whom are evolutionary and molecular biologists teaching at well-known institutions." Since it is not unusual for reviewers to remain anonymous, it is entirely possible that Sternberg sent the article to the qualified scientists of his Baraminology Study Group at Bob Jones University, The Master's College, and Bryan College, all of which are well-known Christian institutions that require their faculty to sign a statement of belief in the inerrancy of Holy Scripture.

Do you disagree with this latter assessment, hooberus? If so, can you explain why any normal scientist would agree to review a pro-ID article and recommend its publishing in an obscure taxonomy journal?

Furthermore, whoever these reviewers were, they're demonstrably incompetent. As Weitzel wrote (see my earlier post for more context):

In a summary, the authors of "Meyer's Hopeless Monster" conclude that Meyer has merely constructed "a rhetorical edifice out of omissions of relevant facts, selective quoting, bad analogies, knocking down strawmen, and tendentious interpretations."

Any scientist who fails to see such blatant bad argumentation in a scientific paper is certainly incompetent. And of course, Sternberg is shown to be equally incompetent.

:: Naturally, the scientists at the Smithsonian Institution who were hoodwinked and embarassed by Sternberg's unethical conduct took action against him.

: The unethical conduct was against Sternberg, not by him.

You didn't deal with the various questions I've raised about this. It's perfectly normal for government managers who are forced to deal with an unethical employee who hasn't violated specific written laws to use whatever legal means they can to force the employee out. They have little choice, given the ridiculously restrictive government rules about firing employees. This is common knowledge. Furthermore, the actions taken by Sternberg's employers were not truly unethical -- otherwise they would have been fired. (See how two can play the game?)

:: He knew what he was doing when he chose his creationist buddies to do the peer-review,

: Since we don't know his thoughts, (nor the identity of the reviewers) statements such as the above are unsubstantiated.

The scientists who were hoodwinked are not dummies. Who do you think you're dealing with? A typical bunch of dumb Fundies like the JWs?

:: He knew quite well that the article wouldn't pass muster if non-creationists reviewed it, and that it was altogether inappropriate for that journal. So Sternberg certainly violated normal science ethics, and was guilty of professional misconduct.

: There violation of "normal science ethics" and "professional misconduct" was not perpetuated by him, but rather against him.

Once again you sidestep the point. Yep, hooberus, you're dishonest.

:: On his website, Sternberg complains that his reputation was smeared by false allegations, but gives little supporting evidence.

: There is the letter from the U.S. OFFICE OF SPECIAL COUNSEL supporting several of his assertions.

Which contains precious little by way of actual smears. He was called a young-earth creationist by certain people, but he never actually denies being one, and his associations prove that he's an ID creationist. Some people naturally called his credentials into question, but another associate circulated his curriculum vitae to prove he really had degrees. And so it goes. Piddly stuff, really.

But what Sternberg never addresses is the most important question of all -- why he didn't have the courtesy, or common sense, to run such a controversial article by the entire Proceedings council, knowing the extent of embarassment it would cause his employers. And it's obvious why he didn't.

:: Sure, and that agency happens to be the U.S. Office of Special Counsel, whose principle legal adviser and the man who headed the investigation of Sternberg's charges, happens to be one James McVay, a political appointee of the Bush administration. Naturally, one expects that McVay subscribes to the same right-wing creationist agenda that George W. Bush and so many other of his political appointees do, so it's hardly to be expected that McVay would be other than harsh on Sternberg's critics. In other words, he's playing out a political agenda.

: What direct evidence do you have that McVay subscribes to a "right-wing creationist agenda"?

None, or I would have posted it. But until a couple of weeks ago, I had no direct evidence that George W. Bush was an IDer, although I certainly suspected it. Keep in mind that most of Bush's political appointees are right wingers -- otherwise they wouldn't have been appointed. Most of them claim to be Christians and a great many of them are Fundamentalists, some quite extreme, like John Ashcroft. Furthermore, reading McVay's comments to Sternberg gives a strong impression that he's quite biased toward Sternberg, something to be expected of a fellow creationist. Again, who do you think you're dealing with here?

Forscher wrote:

: Since hooberus did a good job of rebutting many of the points raised, there isn't much I can add beyond this.

LOL!

: You contend that it was somehow unethical for Sternberg to have the article in question peer-reviewed and then published.

I said nothing of the kind. I said that it was unethical for him not to run the article by the entire editorial board, knowing that it was highly controversial, inappropriate for the journal, and would most certainly embarass the Proceedings governing council. And of course, the governing council issued a statement saying that.

: As hooberus showed with the appropriate links, Sternberg followed the procedure that was set up. That is hardly unethical.

It was a legalistic, Pharisaical, Watchtowerish endrun around normal science ethics. See my above comments.

: In your first post you contended that one of the reasons the publication was unethical was that people you consider ignorant might read it and think that somehow had some legitimacy.

I said nothing remotely like that in my first post. In my second post I said something that someone might interpret that way:

:: Your position ignores political reality. ID is in no sense science -- it is religion. IDers have a political strategy they call "The Wedge" which is designed to take advantage of the ignorance of the majority of Americans about most science issues and to play on their natural sense of fairness: "Why not let people examine all sides of the evolution/creation issue?" Well of course, good science is not done by majority vote, but by hard work in testing theories and making observations. IDers want to circumvent this process by ultimately legislating that the Christian brand of creationism (as opposed to, say, the Hare Krishna brand) be taught in public schools as if it had undergone the rigorous testing that the theory of evolution has for a century and a half. The problem for science is that American religion has enough political clout to do exactly that.

: Since the magazine in question is an obscure scientific publication aimed at fellow scientists that the public in general doesn't have ready access to, I can only assume that you think trained scientists are incapable of examining the material critically and coming to the proper conclusions. Apparently the scientists at the Smithsonian and the think-tank invovled agree with you!

You certainly have a way of thoroughly mistunderstanding what's going on. The Skeptic article I quoted was extremely clear about the real reasons that IDers want to get an article published in a peer-reviewed journal, why for some 15 years it's been their Holy Grail. Let me requote some important points:

Like the medieval prince who forfeited his kingdom in a quest for the Holy Grail, Intelligent Design creationists (IDers) have embarked on the equally quixotic quest to place a peer-reviewed article in a bona fide scientific journal. This 21st-century Grail is a linchpin in the intelligent design movement's strategy for winning their case in both the court of law and the court of public opinon.
    . . .
    Their Grail, however plastic, was secured the moment the ink dried on the Proceeding's pages. Thereafter they can claim that intelligent design has passed the litmus test of a peer-reviewed journal. They will just leave out a few details, such as the particular circumstances of the essay's publication or its official denunciation by the BSW.

Why do you think these guys conspired to get Meyer's article published in such an obscure journal? It certainly wasn't to disseminate the information. Indeed, the Discovery Institute and its leading authors already sell books containing the same stuff by the truckload. It was as Weitzel says: to be able to "claim that intelligent design has passed the litmus test of a peer-reviewed journal." And of course, Sternberg's fellows at the Smithsonian and the Proceedings journal don't like to be used in such an unethical manner.

: Again, you come up with no ethical justification for the conduct of both the think-tank and the folks at the Smithsonian. You simply brush that issue off with an excuse ("well, they were right to do whatever they had to to get rid of this guy" pretty much sums up your argument) that smacks of the end justifys the means, one of the lowest of ethical justifications out there.

Your remarks are extremely stupid and ignore the political reality that I've explained several times now: to get a merely unethical government employee fired is virtually impossible, so other means are used. This is standard practice in government. Anyone who doesn't know how this works is naive.

And yes, Sternberg's managers were fully justified in making working conditions difficult for him so that he'd voluntarily leave.

: That you can so blithely defend such a smear campain and even quote it's propaganda (that means lies, friend) is nothing short of amazing.

That you can so blithely misunderstand and ignore so much is, well, typical.

AlanF

• AlanF
    AlanF

the_classicist wrote:

: I'm not sure I understand the ID correctly as many people hold it to mean different things.

Such as?

: Now all I've heard about ID is that life is irreducibly complex and it couldn't have come about by chance. This is the ID argument and there isn't anything particularly religious about it.

You obviously haven't studed ID, then. There are numerous resources on the Net, which are easy to find. One skeptical website is: http://skepdic.com/intelligentdesign.html . Of course, you can always get the real IDers' dope at the Discovery Institute website: http://www.discovery.org/ . There are also some excellent books on ID from a skeptic's viewpoint, which if you really want to know the pros and cons of ID, you should read. I can suggest some if you like.

The bottom line is that ID is a rather wordy way of expressing the argument from ignorance: "I can't imagine how X can be so, therefore it isn't. Therefore Y is so." I'm sure you can see the other fallacy in such a claim.

: The onus is actually upon the non-ID people to show that life can come about by chance;

Well, to a certain extent this has already been done. The fossil record is unequivocal that life has evolved. Whether it has evolved by Darwinian or related mechanisms, by unknown mechanisms, or by divine guidance is a different question. Of course, the science of origins is still in its infancy, and so a great many questions -- most, even -- remain to be answered. But the evidence we have for general evolution is extremely strong.

Going against the basics of evolution as shown in the fossil record would be like a 19th century science-skeptic claiming that light works by God's direction, because after all, scientists couldn't explain exactly how light works. Well, we've come a long way since then in the science of electromagnetic radiation, and still have many fundamental problems to solve, but no one in his right mind thinks that photons are hurried along their paths by direct divine intervention.

I guess you don't yet understand that IDers don't simply propose that life couldn't have come about by chance. Indeed, their real proposal is that the Judeo-Christian God created the universe, and so their foray into other proposals is just a way to get around American First-Amendment rules and Supreme Court decisions prohibiting teaching such religion in government sponsored arenas such as public schools.

AlanF

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

From a BeliefNet article:

What is intelligent design (ID)?

Intelligent design is the theory that living things show signs of having been designed. ID supporters argue that living creatures and their biological systems are too complex to be accounted for by the Darwinian theory of evolution, and that a designer or a higher intelligence may be responsible for their complexity.

And from the "Discovery Institute":

The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.

Seems to be arguing non-Darwinian evolution. I don't see what's unscientific about that.

: The onus is actually upon the non-ID people to show that life can come about by chance;

Well, to a certain extent this has already been done. The fossil record is unequivocal that life has evolved. Whether it has evolved by Darwinian or related mechanisms, by unknown mechanisms, or by divine guidance is a different question. Of course, the science of origins is still in its infancy, and so a great many questions -- most, even -- remain to be answered. But the evidence we have for general evolution is extremely strong.

Going against the basics of evolution as shown in the fossil record would be like a 19th century science-skeptic claiming that light works by God's direction, because after all, scientists couldn't explain exactly how light works. Well, we've come a long way since then in the science of electromagnetic radiation, and still have many fundamental problems to solve, but no one in his right mind thinks that photons are hurried along their paths by direct divine intervention.

Now, AlanF, that's a strawman as I'm not arguing about evolution, but the origins of life. I never said life never evolved nor getting rid of the fossil record. What I have said is that life (as in a cell, the simplest unit of life) cannot come about by chance and the non-ID people have failed to show that it can even though they have tried many times.
  • AlanF
    AlanF

the_classicist wrote:

: Seems to be arguing non-Darwinian evolution.

"Seems" is the watchword. You're being taken in by the rhetoric, and apparently you're not understanding that their position is religious, not scientific.

: I don't see what's unscientific about that.

In and of itself, it may be a valid viewpoint. But there's a lot more to the ID movement than that. On the first page of this thread, I posted some comments from Skeptic magazine by author Robert Weitzel. You should read them if you haven't already. Here are some relevant excerpts:

IDers maintain that life is too complex to have developed solely by evolutionary mechanisms. They believe this complexity could only have been engineered by an intelligent designer. Strategically, they refrain from identifying the nature of the designer. This tactic is designed to give their notion of creation a patina of scientific credibility and protection from First Amendment challenges.. . .
    The CSC's [Center for Science and Culture] guiding principle is to "replace materialistic explanations with the theistic understanding that nature and humans are created by God." They will accept nothing less than the "complete overthrow of materialism and its damning cultural legacies." To achieve this end, [leading ID advocate Phillip] Johnson, with help from the Fellows at the CSC, developed the Wedge Strategy, a 20-year plan with the ultimate goal "to see design theory permeate our religion, cultural, moral and political life." However, it is the first strategic objective of the Wedge, "to see intelligent design theory as an accepted alternative in the sciences," that set the knights of the CSC to searching for creationism's Holy Grail, a peer-reviewed scientific article.

According to these peoples' own statements of policy, ID is religious. Who is the Intelligent Designer but the Judeo-Christian God? Do you really think that they'd quietly accept a public school teaching that, say, Thor is The Intelligent Designer?

::: The onus is actually upon the non-ID people to show that life can come about by chance;

:: . . . Going against the basics of evolution as shown in the fossil record would be like a 19th century science-skeptic claiming that light works by God's direction, because after all, scientists couldn't explain exactly how light works. Well, we've come a long way since then in the science of electromagnetic radiation, and still have many fundamental problems to solve, but no one in his right mind thinks that photons are hurried along their paths by direct divine intervention.

: Now, AlanF, that's a strawman as I'm not arguing about evolution, but the origins of life.

I wasn't making a real argument, but giving you an analogy. We all know that analogies don't prove anything, right? One of my points is that the same principle is involved in examining general evolution, the origins of life, and notions of the nature of light. Science continually improves, and so my main point is that you can't claim that merely because science can't explain something today, it never can. That's an obviously false claim.

: I never said life never evolved nor getting rid of the fossil record.

Ok. . .

: What I have said is that life (as in a cell, the simplest unit of life) cannot come about by chance and the non-ID people have failed to show that it can even though they have tried many times.

You're committing several logical blunders here. First, no one is claiming that cells evolved in one fell swoop by chance. Rather, origins scientists today generally propose that the earliest life was far simpler, probably based on unknown but simple protein sequences. I don't know enough to say more than that, but from your statements, you know a good deal less than I do, and so it would behoove you to educate yourself before making such pronouncements. Second, you're committing the very same logical fallacy I desribed above, namely, invoking the argument from ignorance. Third, how do you know that "life cannot come about by chance"? Are you so much more knowledgeable than anyone else so that you know this, and can prove it?

AlanF

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    You're committing several logical blunders here. First, no one is claiming that cells evolved in one fell swoop by chance. Rather, origins scientists today generally propose that the earliest life was far simpler, probably based on unknown but simple protein sequences.

Wait a minute, I never said cells evolved in "one fell swoop by chance."

I don't know enough to say more than that, but from your statements, you know a good deal less than I do, and so it would behoove you to educate yourself before making such pronouncements.

Interesting pontification.

Second, you're committing the very same logical fallacy I desribed above, namely, invoking the argument from ignorance. Third, how do you know that "life cannot come about by chance"? Are you so much more knowledgeable than anyone else so that you know this, and can prove it?

Second, actually, I'm trying to argue from agnosticism. Neither sides can be proven, although each side would like to think that they can. Of course, if scientists did form create "life" in the lab, then one side would have to hoist it's position upon it's own petard. So far the theory that life can come about by chance has been falsified by laboratory experiments.

Third, how do you know that it can come about by randomness? Again, I'm arguining from agnosticism as to the validity of both theories and why they should both be included.

But there's a lot more to the ID movement than that.

Movements and actual theories should be separated and recognized as two different entities. I've seen neo-Darwinists argue against non-Darwinist theories by associating it with creationist movements. Instead, we don't focus on what each movement wants, but what the actual theory says and it's own merits.

Do you really think that they'd quietly accept a public school teaching that, say, Thor is The Intelligent Designer?

Why not? Didn't you know the universe was forged by Thor's hammer? [/sarcasm]

Science continually improves, and so my main point is that you can't claim that merely because science can't explain something today, it never can. That's an obviously false claim.

Explaning something and showing it is logical and rational is not equivalent to what actually happened. [sarcasm] Just because scientists can't build anti-gravity wells today, doesn't mean that they never can.[/sarcasm]

Science today says that we cannot create life or even reproduce the mechanisms that supposedly created life. Unless some scientists cannot show otherwise, to say that life cannot come about by randomness is a valid theory. It's not the same as saying, "Well, God must've done it." No, it's saying that "Life is so complex that, due to the inability of scientist to reproduce the mechanisms that produce life, this leads some to think that life could not have come about by chance," or something to that effect.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Second, actually, I'm trying to argue from agnosticism. Neither sides can be proven, although each side would like to think that they can. Of course, if scientists did form create "life" in the lab, then one side would have to hoist it's position upon it's own petard. So far the theory that life can come about by chance has been falsified by laboratory experiments.

Third, how do you know that it can come about by randomness? Again, I'm arguining from agnosticism as to the validity of both theories and why they should both be included.

uh, it seems to me that you do not even know what theories you are talking about. you keep talking about origins, when the theory of evolution does not even touch on that. the proper term for what you are talking about is abiogenesis . lets get our terminology straight before saying that both theories are equally valid.

laboratory experiments have shown the formation of polypeptides without the intervention of a creator. ( Nature. 1996 Aug 8;382(6591):525-8.)

and the simple fact that you assert that both theories are valid is fallacious because no one has proven the existence of god yet. therefore, before a hypothesis that god is responsible for the origin of life can be accepted into a science curriculum, you must first address the following:

first YOU PROVE to me that God exists. second prove to me that it's the god of the bible. third prove to me that he wanted genesis interpreted literally. fourth prove to me how he managed the miracles of biological diversity without evolution, and i will ALLOW you to treat the idea of ID like a real scientific theory. oh yes, you guys still have YET to actually FORMULATE a theory that can be tested, and submit ANY findings to peer reviewed journals.

so, theory of evolution aside, even abiogenesis , or RNA world, is MUCH more parsimonious and "valid" than the hypothesis that there is a creator who did it all.

agnosticism is nice when even the probability of truth is indeterminable. but parsimony shows that it is quite a bit more ridiculous to believe that i god started it all.

just because the verdict is still out, does not give anyone the right to usher in their own silly hypothesis that god did it, and then act offended when it's not taken seriously.

Instead, we don't focus on what each movement wants, but what the actual theory says and it's own merits.

that has already been done. ID is going no where in the scientific community.

Why not? Didn't you know the universe was forged by Thor's hammer?

so then, you do not object to the designer in ID being attributed to thor, zues, allah or YHWH? that's great of you!

Unless some scientists cannot show otherwise, to say that life cannot come about by randomness is a valid theory.
    it's not a valid theory. they would have to prove the existence of god first. sorry.
  • the_classicist
    the_classicist
    uh, it seems to me that you do not even know what theories you are talking about. you keep talking about origins, when the theory of evolution does not even touch on that. the proper term for what you are talking about is abiogenesis . lets get our terminology straight before saying that both theories are equally valid.

laboratory experiments have shown the formation of polypeptides without the intervention of a creator.

First of all, the whole "intelligent design meme" can be applied to many things in science. I'm going forth between the two as they relate to each other and they both relate to the question that both ideological spheres try to solve: "Where did we come from and where are we going?"

And I think it's pretty obvious that peptides come together to form polypeptides. Laboratory experiments have also shown that when you dry out phosopholipids from a phosopholipid bi-layer and then rehyrdate them, you get a vesicle, but as a biologist, you'd know that and you'd know the reasons why.

and the simple fact that you assert that both theories are valid is fallacious because no one has proven the existence of god yet. therefore, before a hypothesis that god is responsible for the origin of life can be accepted into a science curriculum, you must first address the following:

first YOU PROVE to me that God exists. second prove to me that it's the god of the bible. third prove to me that he wanted genesis interpreted literally. fourth prove to me how he managed the miracles of biological diversity without evolution, and i will ALLOW you to treat the idea of ID like a real scientific theory. oh yes, you guys still have YET to actually FORMULATE a theory that can be tested, and submit ANY findings to peer reviewed journals.

Hold on tetra, you're full of bullshit. I never once talked about bringing God into this. Stop making strawmen, please. When dealing with the origins of life, it seems responsible to say something like this: "Life is complex, so complex that we cannot recreate it in the laboratory. This leads some to hypothesize that it could not have come about by chance." Why is that objectional?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    First of all, the whole "intelligent design meme" can be applied to many things in science. I'm going forth between the two as they relate to each other and they both relate to the question that both ideological spheres try to solve: "Where did we come from and where are we going?"

fine. then keep ID in your theology class. until it meets the requirements of a scientific theory, it can stay the hell out of science classes.

Laboratory experiments have also shown that when you dry out phosopholipids from a phosopholipid bi-layer and then rehyrdate them, you get a vesicle, but as a biologist, you'd know that and you'd know the reasons why.

no actually. unless you made that up yourself, please provide your sources.

Hold on tetra, you're full of bullshit.

are you low on blood sugar again?

I never once talked about bringing God into this. Stop making strawmen, please.

it's not about strawmen you twit. it's completely logical that if anyone wants to put forth a hypothesis that involves a creator, they must FIRST prove that the creator exists. your ignoring the root of the issue here. are you doing it intentionally? if someone wanted to tell children that there is tea in space because a tea cup orbits mars, then they would naturally first have to PROVE that a teacup is indeed orbiting mars. you and your strawmen accusations. it's getting a bit tiring.

When dealing with the origins of life, it seems responsible to say something like this: "Life is complex, so complex that we cannot recreate it in the laboratory. ;This leads some to ;hypothesize that it ;could not have come about by chance." Why is that objectional?

and the next step in that sequence would be choosing which creator of all proposed down through time was most likely to have been the culprit.

"okay kids. one camp says that it came about by chance. end of story. the next says that everything is so complex, and scientists have not been able to DISPROVE this yet, so it is fair to conclude that something actually created everything. lets spend some time talking about who it could have been:

we have aliens, jesus, allah, vishnu, thor, zeus, mrtobi, and the list actually goes on and on. actually, instead of talking about science, lets just spend the rest of the class talking about mythology and theology. please open your bibles, or whatever other holy book you may have, and turn to the first page."

unless you intend this science lesson to be a 30 second snippit that the teachers tells the student that there are 14 sides to the debate before moving onto cells? in which case they already do. under the radar of course.

TS

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    Laboratory experiments have also shown that when you dry out phosopholipids from a phosopholipid bi-layer and then rehyrdate them, you get a vesicle, but as a biologist, you'd know that and you'd know the reasons why.

no actually. unless you made that up yourself, please provide your sources.

It's right in my pre-made notes from Biology 112 written by the "Department of Microbiology and Immunology" at UBC. It says:

2. Assembly of the cytoplasmic membrane
    (a) Self-assembly of a phospholipid bilayer and the hydrophobic effect

(i)Observations

-In water, a lipid bilayer is a self-assembling structure. When phospholipids purified from cells are added to water, they become packed (self-assemble) into spherical bilayered structures called vesicles. with their headgroups in contact with water and the lipid tails sequestered away from water. A vesicle contains an internal aqueous (=water-filled) compartment.

-What accounts for the behaviour of a water-phospholipid mixture? To answer this question a few concepts from chemistry need to be examined...

It was also in our textbook, "Microbial Life" by Perry (ISBN: 0-87893-682-3). This would be common knowledge for someone who claims to be a computational biologist as it is an introductory course on cell biology (though, I would understand if you've forgotten it as it's a very boring subject).

Hold on tetra, you're full of bullshit.

are you low on blood sugar again?

No, I'm just permenantly pissed off. You see, I'm rabid and have foam just jetting out of my mouth.

I never once talked about bringing God into this. Stop making strawmen, please.

it's not about strawmen you twit. it's completely logical that if anyone wants to put forth a hypothesis that involves a creator, they must FIRST prove that the creator exists. your ignoring the root of the issue here. are you doing it intentionally? if someone wanted to tell children that there is tea in space because a tea cup orbits mars, then they would naturally first have to PROVE that a teacup is indeed orbiting mars. you and your strawmen accusations. it's getting a bit tiring.

It is a strawman as I never brought God into my arguments. Just because others have, doesn't mean that I did. It is also impossible to "prove" God by naturalistic means. Even if God himself appears to you and does a bunch of stuff and answers all you questions. It would simply prove the existence of a supernatural being, you would have to accept, by faith, that it is Almighty God or whatever you fancy. God is only 'knowable' by by faith.

and the next step in that sequence would be choosing which creator of all proposed down through time was most likely to have been the culprit.

"okay kids. one camp says that it came about by chance. end of story. the next says that everything is so complex, and scientists have not been able to DISPROVE this yet, so it is fair to conclude that something actually created everything. lets spend some time talking about who it could have been:

we have aliens, jesus, allah, vishnu, thor, zeus, mrtobi, and the list actually goes on and on. actually, instead of talking about science, lets just spend the rest of the class talking about mythology and theology. please open your bibles, or whatever other holy book you may have, and turn to the first page."

unless you intend this science lesson to be a 30 second snippit that the teachers tells the student that there are 14 sides to the debate before moving onto cells? in which case they already do. under the radar of course.

As to your second paragraph in your little discourse, I never said that they should "conlcude" anything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit