Evolutionary establishment tactics

by hooberus 157 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Some thoughts from the material found at : http://www.evolutionfairytale.com/articles_debates/haldane_rebuttal.htm

This is a very common ploy of evolutionists, to claim that creationists don’t understand that evolutionary theory posits common decent from a shared ancestor. Regardless, this does not double the amount of substitutions that can occur from point A (man/ape ancestor) to point B (man), and this is the context of ReMine’s (and Haldane’s) argument.

Two people are at the same point. If one person stayed fixed and the other one moved then you can ascribe the entire distance between the two to the one who moved. If both people moved away from each other the total distance between the two is a sum of both of their travel. Likewise, the nucleotide differences between apes and chimps are a result of two paths. To use that combined difference for just one line, would not be accurate. You'd have to figure out the changes that occurred in just one line to be honest.

If Williams had read ReMines’ book, or even just thought about the problem logically, he would have discovered that neutral substitutions also must be substituted in! If a neutral trait (or substitution) becomes fixed, all alternative alleles at the same locus must still be removed. In fact, neutral mutations incur a greater cost, since they will have a greater propensity to drift back and forth in frequency since they have no selective value. Every time the frequency goes down, it negates any previous payment made by reproductive excess to get it to that frequency; when it drifts back up, a new payment via excess reproduction is needed, hence net cost is increased.

Let's not forget that Haldane's model is about the number of generations it would take for a previously deleterious trait to be fixed in a population once it becomes the only beneficial one. Neutral mutations do not have any impact on fitness. So there isn't a need for x individuals with one type of neutral mutation to replace y individuals with another type of neutral mutation for an evolutionary change. So why include them as part of the cost for evolutionary change?

I still need to read that other article. If it was from Remine, then he'll surely give a clear enough presentation, whatever his ideas. Who knows, maybe there'll be something in it that'll change my mind?

Later

• rem
    rem

Hooberus,

I think we've gone back and forth long enough for anyone with any interest in the topic to come to a conclusion on who's arguments are more compelling.

rem

• Cygnus
    Cygnus
    I think we've gone back and forth long enough

That's for damned sure. Why the persistence? Hooberus and Forscher are not going to convince anyone, and vice-versa. I don't understand why it's so difficult for IDers to say "I don't know" instead of positing an unexplainable Creator.

• hooberus
    hooberus
    Two people are at the same point. If one person stayed fixed and the other one moved then you can ascribe the entire distance between the two to the one who moved. If both people moved away from each other the total distance between the two is a sum of both of their travel. Likewise, the nucleotide differences between apes and chimps are a result of two paths. To use that combined difference for just one line, would not be accurate. You'd have to figure out the changes that occurred in just one line to be honest.

The calculation situation that ReMine uses is simply a mathematical upper "speed limit" for how much selective evolutionary change can possibly occurr in a specific time period (10 million years) according to standard population genetics. It deals with a hypothetical line of evolution (ancient extinct ape to moden man). It simply asks how much selective evolution could take place within that amount of time (accoriding to standard population genetics assumptions). His calculation scenario doesn't directly have anything to do with the genetic difference between modern humans and modern chimps (which supposedly sharred a common ancestor more recently- ie: 5-7 mya), but instead starts at an earlier time period (10 mya) and deals with the lineage from a hypothetical ancient primitve ape to moden man (the fact that chimps supposedly later split off is not necessarly revelant in his specific scenario).

• hooberus
    hooberus
    Let's not forget that Haldane's model is about the number of generations it would take for a previously deleterious trait to be fixed in a population once it becomes the only beneficial one. Neutral mutations do not have any impact on fitness. So there isn't a need for x individuals with one type of neutral mutation to replace y individuals with another type of neutral mutation for an evolutionary change. So why include them as part of the cost for evolutionary change?

ReMine's main Haldane calculation (the 1667 figure) deal with only selective substitutions. For more on the the cost situation with neutral mutations see Chapter 9 in his book (a brief chapter 9 summary is online).

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch
    ReMine's main Haldane calculation (the 1667 figure) deal with only selective substitutions. For more on the the cost situation with neutral mutations see Chapter 9 in his book (a brief chapter 9 summary is online).

Thats the calculation I was referring to with my analogy of two men travelling.

From : http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v19/i1/dna.asp?vPrint=1

What if human and chimp DNA was even 96% homologous? What would that mean? Would it mean that humans could have ‘evolved’ from a common ancestor with chimps? Not at all! The amount of information in the 3 billion base pairs in the DNA in every human cell has been estimated to be equivalent to that in 1,000 books of encyclopaedia size.6If humans were ‘only’ 4% different this still amounts to 120 million base pairs, equivalent to approximately 12 million words, or 40 large books of information. This is surely an impossible barrier for mutations (random changes) to cross.7

Note this difference is the result of two lines diverging...like the combined distance between two men who moved away from each other in opposite directions.

Now I don't take issue with Remine coming up with the figure of 1,667 selective substitutions and then applying this to the combined distance because in footnote 7 we see that he doubled the time estimate he used for the divergence. I marked the relevant part in red below. Others unfamiliar with some of the details would be mislead though into thinking that Remine was such a sport that he even gave the other side double the time. A doubling was required. The wording can be misleading.

This is from footnote 7:

Haldane’s Dilemma recognises the problem for evolutionists of getting genetic changes in higher organisms, especially those which have long generation times. Due to the cost of substitution (death of the unfit) of one gene for another in a population, it would take over 7x10 11 years of human–like generations to substitute the 120 million base pairs. Or in 10 million years (twice the time since the chimp/human common ancestor is alleged to have lived), only 1667 substitutions could occur, or 0.001% of the difference. There has simply been insufficient time for ape–like creatures to turn into humans. And this understates the problem by assuming perfect efficiency of natural selection and ignoring deleterious processes like inbreeding and genetic drift, as well as problems posed by pleiotropy (one gene controlling more than one characteristic) and polygeny (more than one gene controlling one characteristic)—most real genes. See W.J. ReMine, The Biotic Message (St. Paul Science, St. Paul, Minnesota, 1993), pp. 215–217. Return to text.

However, like I've mentioned before, there are some mistakes with how other calculations are made. The Haldane model is talking about selective alleles being replaced. Alleles (genes) are never just one nucleotide base pair in length though. (The average mammalian gene is about 16,000 base pairs in length). The calculation above is misleading because its linking each of the theoretical 1,667 substitutions to individual base pair changes. Its trying to diminish the likely amount of base pair differences that could occur per substitution. Now I'm not saying that it should be 16,000 bp, but there's quite a bit of error by only going with one.

Let's not forget that some of the genome sequence differences are also neutral mutations. Just how much I don't know. Neither does Remine. So using 120 million base pairs is also overestimating. Thats why I say no-one can be so sure of the figures being bandied about.

P.S. Unrelated: I just read all the research you posted in that thread on the Archangel Micheal. Very cool.

• hooberus
    hooberus
    Thats the calculation I was referring to with my analogy of two men travelling.

Your first analogy (ie: "Two people are at the same point. If one person stayed fixed and the other one moved then you can ascribe the entire distance between the two to the one who moved.") would best describe the scenaro that ReMine is referring to (since he is dealing with the scenario of the evolution of moden man from a 10 million year old extinxt ape creature population).

From : http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v19/i1/dna.asp?vPrint=1

What if human and chimp DNA was even 96% homologous? What would that mean? Would it mean that humans could have ‘evolved’ from a common ancestor with chimps? Not at all! The amount of information in the 3 billion base pairs in the DNA in every human cell has been estimated to be equivalent to that in 1,000 books of encyclopaedia size.6If humans were ‘only’ 4% different this still amounts to 120 million base pairs, equivalent to approximately 12 million words, or 40 large books of information. This is surely an impossible barrier for mutations (random changes) to cross.7

Note this difference is the result of two lines diverging...like the combined distance between two men who moved away from each other in opposite directions.

You are correct, however this arcticle (by a different creationist) is not discussing the same scenario that ReMine likes to use, but rather is discussing the differences between modern humans and moden apes, thus (if they sharred a common ancestor) the resulting differences in this scenario would not be confined to one line (as in ReMine's) but would be the result of two lines diverging.

Now I don't take issue with Remine coming up with the figure of 1,667 selective substitutions and then applying this to the combined distance because in footnote 7 we see that he doubled the time estimate he used for the divergence. I marked the relevant part in red below. Others unfamiliar with some of the details would be mislead though into thinking that Remine was such a sport that he even gave the other side double the time. A doubling was required. The wording can be misleading.

This is from footnote 7:
    Haldane’s Dilemma recognises the problem for evolutionists of getting genetic changes in higher organisms, especially those which have long generation times. Due to the cost of substitution (death of the unfit) of one gene for another in a population, it would take over 7x10 11 years of human–like generations to substitute the 120 million base pairs. Or in 10 million years (twice the time since the chimp/human common ancestor is alleged to have lived), only 1667 substitutions could occur, or 0.001% of the difference. There has simply been insufficient time for ape–like creatures to turn into humans. And this understates the problem by assuming perfect efficiency of natural selection and ignoring deleterious processes like inbreeding and genetic drift, as well as problems posed by pleiotropy (one gene controlling more than one characteristic) and polygeny (more than one gene controlling one characteristic)—most real genes. See W.J. ReMine, The Biotic Message (St. Paul Science, St. Paul, Minnesota, 1993), pp. 215–217. Return to text.

Though the footnote references ReMine's book, it was not written by ReMine. The above footnote (from a 1996 arcticle by Batten) was incorrect to apply all 120 million differences to one line and to use a selection substitution argument (since not all substitutions would be due to selection).

However ReMine was correct to place all of the 1667 selective substitutions into a single line (10 mya extinct ape to moden man).

However, like I've mentioned before, there are some mistakes with how other calculations are made. The Haldane model is talking about selective alleles being replaced. Alleles (genes) are never just one nucleotide base pair in length though.

Though alleles are never just one nucleotide base pair in length, the fact remains that a substituting allele can differ from the one it is substituting by only a single base pair.

The calculation above is misleading because its linking each of the theoretical 1,667 substitutions to individual base pair changes. Its trying to diminish the likely amount of base pair differences that could occur per substitution. Now I'm not saying that it should be 16,000 bp, but there's quite a bit of error by only going with one.

According to ReMine evolutionists generally believe that point mutations are what is usually substituted. The following is from ReMine's main Haldane page:

http://www1.minn.net/~science/

___________________________________________________________________________________

• According to evolutionists the substitutions are almost always a single nucleotide (called a point mutation). 3
  • 3 Sometimes the 'thing' being substituted into the population might be larger than a nucleotide, such as: insertion, deletion, gene inversion, gene duplication, or the relative order of genes on a chromosome. Each of these would count as a substitution, and the argument puts a limit on the total number of substitutions.

Are the substitutions "genes"?

The thrust of my argument does not speak of a limit of "1,667 gene substitutions." Rather my argument focuses on typical substitutions, which – according to evolutionists – are almost always point mutations (a single nucleotide). Yet evolutionists traditionally discussed Haldane's Dilemma in terms of "gene substitutions," which created the false impression that large blocks of new DNA are being replaced, rather than just a single mutation (typically one nucleotide). That habit further obscured the severity of Haldane's Dilemma from public view. In fact, a well-known evolutionary genetics professor from Cornell University expressed shocked resistance when I first explained this point to him: The 1,667 substitutions are typically single nucleotides, not 1,667 whole genes. The substituting 'thing' is a mutation, not a gene. It's a simple concept when explained clearly, though it was habitually overlooked even by professionals at the time. The traditional focus on "gene substitutions" is one of many factors that garbled Haldane's Dilemma for so long.

1/24/2005 - by Walter ReMine

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I believe (from what I remember) that Spetner in his book "Not by Chance" also gives in more detail the reasons why evolutionists believe that substitutions are generally of a small nature (ie: point mutations).

Let's not forget that some of the genome sequence differences are also neutral mutations. Just how much I don't know. Neither does Remine. So using 120 million base pairs is also overestimating. Thats why I say no-one can be so sure of the figures being bandied about.
    The genome sequence differences could also not be due to mutations at all (but could rather be due to original differences in created genomes). Once again the 120 million figure did not come from ReMine.

P.S. Unrelated: I just read all the research you posted in that thread on the Archangel Micheal. Very cool.
    thanks !
  • Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Hi hooberus

I had a couple of personal instances where other creationists quoting Remine were unclear on the details. So I'm not surprised that some of the number crunching needed to be reworked was actually from someone else following his lead.

Though alleles are never just one nucleotide base pair in length, the fact remains that a substituting allele can differ from the one it is substituting by only a single base pair.

You're right it can. It can cause frameshift mutations that can result in a number of different amino acids being coded. Even having just one different amino acid in a crucial position for the protein can affect its tertiary or quaternary structure or the active or binding site. The most well known example of a single amino acid change resulting in a mutation is sickle cell anemia. Although I don't know if it is just due to a single base pair mutation or two or three. (each amino acid is coded by a 3 nucleotide base long sequence). But consider whats further down.

According to ReMine evolutionists generally believe that point mutations are what is usually substituted.

Again he's right. And I think this is where alot of the arguments come in. Single nucleotide base pair changes are the most common form of mutation. Single base pair mutations can also bring non-neutral changes (e.g.sickle-cell). But from greater to lesser likelihood, they are more often neutral, then deleterious and finally they may be beneficial. The selective substitutions are beneficial ones and so one would expect that only a very small percentage of those would involve single nucleotide base pair changes. Thats why I think no-one can be too dogmatic with some of the numbers being used. Who knows just how much or how little refining of the code would be needed to go from chimp to human? Maybe even just a 2% to 3% difference say.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit