Very good apologetics for honest seekers

by Shining One 122 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AlanF
    AlanF

Ah. Then Terry's argument has a problem.

It would be good for you to use some sort of quoting mechanism.

I don't understand the point of your story.

AlanF

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Way to go Alan!

Who truly knows how many ancient tribal lords, sheiks, phony gods, rulers, and other people of power went into the composite image the bible writers composed for us?

• myelaine
    myelaine

AlanF,

I don't understand the point of your story.

My point is that if the fisherman was just in giving the young man a lifejacket and telling him to use it, how can he become unjust by showing mercy as well. Is he even less just? I don't think so. He is still just and now showing undeserved mercy. You see...the young man didn't take his warning about the lifejacket + just lost his boat + now he is compelled to save his life.

Nothing that happened to the young man altered the old fishermans being just.

• trevor
    trevor

Shining one

we have divine authority to demolish arguments and every pretense that exalts itself agains the knowledge of God'.

I seem to have heard this assertion before from some of the most narrow minded and misinformed people on the planet.

Can you spell humility correctly?

• Terry
    Terry
    For Terry,

It's too bad you can't deal with an one issue at a time but instead attempt to smear and paint your muck with generalizations. No one has been getting 'his butt kicked' (by the likes of you). 'On the contrary, we have divine authority to demolish arguments and every pretense that exalts itself agains the knowledge of God'. If you don't like my opinion then just ignore me, but don't pretend that you have the corner on truth ,facts and integrity. Your whining about God is pathetic and arrogant.

Rex

Step on something that bit you?

Terry

• Terry
    Terry
    This story....

A young man rents a boat from an old fisherman. Setting out, the old man refers him to his lifejacket.

If at some point later that day, the same young man was treading water and fighting for his life, the boat's down and the jacket... well?....

...all because he didn't listen to and believe the old fisherman....

In what way would he look at the old man when, at once, he came by and threw him another lifejacket?

In this instance, the fisherman is the one who pushed the young man in the water!

It is GOD'S WRATH we seek to escape. No?

It is GOD'S JUDGEMENT that all decendants of Adam are worthy of death (arbitrary and whimsical as it is) which put us in a treading water situation.

Think about it.

Terry

• Terry
    Terry
    A point of logic: Giving something good to the undeserving has nothing to do with justice, but everything to do with mercy. Otherwise you'd have to declare God unjust.

God IS unjust and that was my point.

Mercy, in this instance, is cynical.

Who does man need mercy FROM? Why, God!

T.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    The foundation of the gospel is hinged on the resurrection of Jesus (1 Cor.15).

But doesn't the resurrection of Jesus completly nullify his sacrifice in the first place?

If you owe bob $200 so I, out of my "undeserved kindness" give bob MY car to pay your debt your debt is paid. If three days later I go and take my car back THE DEBT IS REINCURRED you once again owe bob $200!

If Jesus died for my sins then my sins were paid for if jesus is then brought back to life the debt comes back to ME for my sins to REMAIN paid Jesus had to REMAIN dead! He did not, the debt did not REMAIN paid there is no sacrifice left...

• Shining One
    Shining One

Alan said:
    >HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    AlanF

My how the 'high and mighty' have fallen.
    Rex

• Shining One
    Shining One

>It is GOD'S JUDGEMENT that all decendants of Adam are worthy of death (arbitrary and whimsical as it is) which put us in a treading water situation.Think about it.

Terry

1) God rules by divine providence.
    2) Man knew the rules.
    3) Man broke the rules.
    4) Man chose to rebel, separating himself from God.
    5) God covered man's sin.
    6) God provided a savior for man.
    7) He died for man to be reconciled: He took the hit.
    8) YOU have a choice.

John 3.18-19 explains quite nicely why people condemn themselves and Romans 1 describes how people are given over to their own way.
    God may have used a simplistic metaphor here to describe why the world is filled with corruption: the pride of man: who thinks he needs not the creator and sustainer of life, the self-existent one. Do you can have it two ways, literal fundamentalism or figurative liberalism. You can cry and whine, judge God if all you like but in the final analysis all of your effort is for naught: If Christianity is true, you are eternally damned; if it is not true you are eventually just dead.
    That's reality, not metaphor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit