Do You Buy Your Woman Her Girl Stuff?

by horrible life 55 Replies latest jw friends

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I have not even thought that this could be an issue.

This thread has been started by someone from the US, has it not?

• Scully
    Scully
    I'll give you some examples of when this might happen. One is: you are at work and start when you did not expect to. He's not working and is at luxury to go by the store for you. Another is you are having a very heavy one and have run out of products and need them quickly so you can get to work.

I'm in my 40s now, and apart from my pregnancies, I've been having my "monthlies" since before I was a teenager. They have always been irregular and they have always been on the "heavy" side. It has never occurred to me to be anything but prepared for the worst possible scenario that way. I have a discreet stash of supplies in my purse, I have a discreet stash of supplies in my car, I have a discreet stash of supplies in my bag that I take to work. Maybe I'm so mortified by the thought of being caught off guard by "Aunt Flo" that I always make sure that I'm prepared.

And now that my girls have entered that realm of female development, they also have their own discreet stash of supplies too. I think it boosts their confidence to know that they have what they need when they need it, and don't have to call mom to bring them supplies or rely on the school nurse or a friend to help them out if they get a surprise visit.

All I know is that when there's a sale on the products we use, I buy 6 months' worth for all of us and rest easy knowing that we're well prepared.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I have not even thought that this could be an issue.

I don't know, but the one englishman who has posted here, says that he would not buy them. A lot of the American men and women have said their American men do buy them. I'd be interested in hearing how you British guys on the forum feel about this issue. My mom always told me, as did my British stepmother, that Brits are touchy on this subject, due to culture. I'd like to know if this is true.

Andy is American. Andy buys my products and has even brought them to work for me when I needed them desperately.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    All I know is that when there's a sale on the products we use, I buy 6 months' worth for all of us and rest easy knowing that we're well prepared.

I do that with toilet paper. I buy those 12 roll packages of Scott tissue. I don't always do that with tampons though. They tend to be a lot more expensive.I get a double box of them if I can, from Wal-mart.Because of my unique anatomy, I have to get a certain brand. I'm glad it's not beneath Andy to help me out when I'm caught off guard though. And if I was caught in a pinch and he was the only person I could turn to for help, I'd be kinda upset with him if he refused to help. Thank goodness he's always willing to help.

• prophecor
    prophecor

GermanXJW Tis' true. Only in Amerikkka

• Scully
    Scully
    I'm glad it's not beneath Andy to help me out when I'm caught off guard though. And if I was caught in a pinch and he was the only person I could turn to for help, I'd be kinda upset with him if he refused to help.

Honestly, it's not beneath Mr Scully to help me out that way. If I knew there was no physical way for me to look after this kind of thing myself (eg, I'm in a body cast) I would ask him and he wouldn't give it a second thought. But if I'm not in a body cast, I just wouldn't ask him to do it.

I suppose I just think there are more important things in life and relationships to test a person's mettle. Maybe I've misinterpreted the original poster's intent in stating that one of the reasons why she loved her hubby so much was because he would go to the store and buy her "girl stuff". Mr Scully would not consider it an imposition to do this for me, but I would.... so I don't require it of him. He'd better fix the bath tub though, or he'll be in deep doo-doo.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I suppose I just think there are more important things in life and relationships to test a person's mettle.

I see what you mean, Skully. I don't think she means it this way though. It does say something about someone though, if they know you need help and won't give it to you. Especially if they make giving you help into a gender issue.

"He who sees a need and waits to be asked for help is as unkind as if he had refused it." Dante

I had four brothers. My mom had always taught me to wrap napkins with paper, very thoroughly and tightly before disposing of them. Well, one time our dog got hold of one of them and had a glorious time tearing it up behind the sofa. My brother saw it and ran through the house freaking out at the top of his lungs. My mother grabbed him and chewed him out about him being such a baby over it. She set him straight about how important the tissue and blood that comprise a woman's mentral flow are to each and every human being on this earth. Without them, NONE of us would exist. She told him that he was being disrespectful to me and that he was embarassing me by his tantrum. She made him apologize to me.

Skully, a lot of men have a babyish attitude towards a woman's flow because no one set them straight like my mother did my brother. What's so embarrassing about this? Why should anyone be embarrassed? I think that is what this thread is about. And it's endearing to us when men don't act like my brother did. At least he was a teenager and not a fully grown man when he did this.

• Scully
    Scully
    Scully, a lot of men have a babyish attitude towards a woman's flow because no one set them straight like my mother did my brother. What's so embarrassing about this? Why should anyone be embarrassed? I think that is what this thread is about. And it's endearing to us when men don't act like my brother did. At least he was a teenager and not a fully grown man when he did this.

I don't know if it's "babyish" really, or if it's purely squeamishness. Maybe they're embarrassed, maybe not. But I've seen an abundance of husbands, boyfriends, and partners fresh from the delivery room over the past 8 years, and by far, they are (more often than not) far more awe-struck by their woman's reproductive system than they are embarrassed by it. Many are squeamish about blood. A lot are squeamish about the notion of their partner having stitches "down there". However, there is a definite sense of pride in her strength to go through childbirth, while they could merely stand by her side, helpless and powerless to do anything more than offer comfort and support, while she strains through labour. Every shift I work, there are men coming to ask for "girl stuff" for their partners. Not one is embarrassed about it.

One time, the husband of a patient I was caring for came and talked to me while his wife slept after a marathon session of breastfeeding. He still was overwhelmed from watching the birth of his firstborn son, and just needed to talk about what it felt like for him. He had nothing but the utmost respect renewed for his wife, and rather than being grossed out by watching the delivery, he described it like watching a rosebud blossom right in front of him. He had tears in his eyes... just so much emotion there, he seemed like he was going to burst. (I really love my job! )

Anyway, since the topic came up, I decided to see if I was right about Mr Scully. I called him while he was out at the store. I said "I really hate to ask you this, but I need you to do something for me while you're at the store." He asked what I needed. "I need you to pick up some pads for me."

::: Pause ::: "OOOOOOKKAAAAY. Tell me which aisle, what brand and whatever else I need to know." I said "Nah, don't worry about it. I just wanted to see if you would, because in over 20 years, I've never asked you to do that. There was this thread on JWD about it, and the women seem to think that their partners should. You can read it when you get home."

He came home with flowers.
  • horrible life
    horrible life

Hi everyone!! As the originator of this thread, I have to tell say, I only expected yes and no answers. The reason I asked, is my neighbor's husband said NO. He said NEVER!. He has a teenage daughter also. I thought, "What a jerk". My husband, as I have said, doesn't mind at all. I've never asked him, but have always been aware that I can. Knowing he used to shop for his older daughter, and he has told me he would do the same for me. My daughter, age 14, has needed girl " stuff " for 4 years. She has always known her Dad would and does go to the store for her. I just think it says alot of a man to do this. Is this the only measure of love? Not by any means. But it does show me ....... He's not a jerk like my neighbor. HL Skully that is sooooo sweet. My husband has never done that. Yours is not a jerk either!

• Satanus
    Satanus
    He's not a jerk like my neighbor.

He could be a jerk, but why would a guy be made a jerk because of refusing to buy girl stuff for his partner?

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit