Why did the WTBTS not sue Ray Franz?

by Gill 40 Replies latest jw friends

• CinemaBlend
    CinemaBlend

Because they're not stupid and they know that suing him would only give him 10,000,000 times more publicity than he could get if they simply ignored him.

• ISP
    ISP

Ray pretty much had all his ducks in a row...quotations from publications, letters etc. The WTS did nothing because it would more than likely lose. It has fought legal battles in the past and makes no secret of its victories and usually tries to say they fulfilled some prophecy or other. A devastating loss maybe hard to explain scripturally.

ISP

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

You can't sue a person if they are telling the truth!!

You are to innocent......

I think they did not want to have more media attention. IMO, They figured that if this would get publicity, a lot more JW's would have known about and start reading the book, and wondering why somebody of the GB left.

More publicity seel more book (see da vincy code).

I guess it worked. Most JW's probably don't even know who Ray Franz is, that a GB member left etc etc.

Danny

• CinemaBlend
    CinemaBlend

Thanks for joining me in the world of sanity and reality.

The truth is Ray Franz is a nobody. Only a handful of people know about his existence. He had ZERO impact on the JWs, and they had nothing to fear from him. He wasn't worth their time, and had they tried to respond to him they'd have only lent him credibility which he'd never have (and doesn't have) otherwise.

Whether you think he has his ducks in a row or not.

Personally... I think he's full of crap. If you read his stuff critically you can spot the lies and the agenda a mile off.

• Gill
    Gill

Hi Cinema!

I'm interested in the 'lies and agenda' part of your answer. Can you tell me more?

Thanks

• trevor
    trevor

Some authors of what might otherwise be libellous comments have a defence against lawsuit under the fair comment privilege.

Fair comment requires the following criteria:

(1) The libellous comment must clearly be an opinion, not a statement of fact.

(2) The opinion must be fair.

(3) There must be no malice.

(4) The opinion must rest on facts.

The fair comment defence is a concern of writers of columns, reviews, letters to the editor and other articles of a critical nature. (English spelling)

I enjoyed Ray Franz’ book and found it very informative. My only concern is, that he did not leave as a matter of principle. He was forced out of the bethel and tried to carry on in another congregation. The Watchtower Society considering him to be a danger, disassociated him. It was only then that he made a stand.

Had they left him alone he may have stayed a Jehovah’s Witnesses. He still believes every word of the Bible and is now promoting another brand of Christianity. He has only stirred not woken up.

trevor

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

***The truth is Ray Franz is a nobody. Only a handful of people know about his existence.

Boy are YOU off-base here! To my knowledge, his books are the widest and longest selling books that are informing JWs and exJWs alike as to what the WTS is really like and how they operate!

I've been a member of three different mailing list boards and several other forums since 1998, and these books get sent continually to the various members to this DAY! For those who feel they cannot afford them, the members send them on to the new ones when they are finished reading them. What you just said here shows what you DON'T KNOW about what's going on behind the scenes every day!

***He had ZERO impact on the JWs,

You sir, are just plain wrong!

***and they had nothing to fear from him.

They had and have the constant worry of being outed and exposed by him, and the nore time that passes, the more people are reading these books. I have yet (other than you) to hear one negative or unkind comment about him or what he has written.

***He wasn't worth their time,

I hardly think that was or is the case. They always hit that arrogant "ignore" button when anything negative is said about them especially in book form. They give the impression (to other JWs) that defending what is said about them is somehow "beneath" them, but we all know that they are AFRAID to step on the hornet's nest so they take the COWARDLY way out and hide in that Brooklyn tower! This is the way they have operated since I have had anything to do with them, for more than three decades.

***and had they tried to respond to him they'd have only lent him credibility which he'd never have (and doesn't have) otherwise.

Again, you are so wrong.

***Personally... I think he's full of crap. If you read his stuff critically you can spot the lies and the agenda a mile off.

I'm speaking "personally" too, ( and critically) and I don't think that HE is the one who is full of crap. I suppose YOU were THERE when all this was going on....."there" meaning right alongside him every step of the way "there", I suppose.

AFAIK, EVERY person who has read his books and commented on them, has always said what a nice person he was, and how NOT "mean-spirited" he was throughout the books. He was telling what he had to tell, and wasn't nasty in telling it. Just informative. This is why he wrote them---to INFORM, not to rant, although he certainly COULD have done so.

What you have said here appalls and sickens me.

Annie

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Sunspot.......

Thank you for the well said answer to that idiotic post by CB. I wish I had the talent to write a thoughtfully worded answer to unfounded utterances made by someone who doesn't have a clue.

Three cheers to Ray Franz!

HappyDad

• Undecided
    Undecided

Reading CofC was what gave me and my brother complete release from being raised in the "truth". The borg has no hold on us anymore. Thanks Ray.

Ken P.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    The other possibility of course is that by suing him the R&F would be able to have access to even more of the behind-the-scenes activity than the GB would ever want them to know.

That's my take on the situation too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit