Why did the WTBTS not sue Ray Franz?

by Gill 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

If Ray Franz had been lying in anything he said in both of his books, C of C and In Search of christian Freedom, surely the WTBTS would have sued him. Why did they take no legal action against him?

Could it be that this legalistic corportion realised he had lied about NOTHING?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

My guess is that he was telling the truth and they wouldn't dare risk suing him.

The other possibility of course is that by suing him the R&F would be able to have access to even more of the behind-the-scenes activity than the GB would ever want them to know. At the time when Ray was DFed it did hit the media (Times magazine I think had an article about it. There is no way the GB could control the story if the media got hold of it through a court case. Wouldn't want their dirty laundry spread all over the front page.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I think they figured his audience would be too small to worry about. Today with the internet, time have changed,

• luna2
    luna2

Probably.

The court transcripts available in other cases the Society has been involved in don't show the WTBTS in a very favorable light at all. I'm sure they don't want to do that again. It's easier to ignore Ray and his book while conducting a sly smear campaign to damage his reputation so that the majority of JWs will think he's a liar and be afraid to look at his evil book for fear of catching apostate cooties.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Probably because he told the truth and even if he told a few "untruths"(which I highly doubt) the publicity this would generate would do more harm.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

I would be thrilled if the WTS sued Franz. And I dare say Ray would be too.

What an opportunity to air dirty laundry and prove Ray was railroaded.

However the MO for the WTS is "head in the sand". No wonder they keep their followers the same way.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

And, I bet in 1982 some in the Writing Dept. and so forth, maybe even the GB lke Swingle (R.I.P.) probably genuinely liked Ray. I mean, they didn't even have to give him10 grand. Edited to fix some egregarious typos.

• Stress Free
    Stress Free

You can't sue a person if they are telling the truth!!

• Honesty
    Honesty

It would have brought reproach upon Jehover.

Seriously, the WTBTS was afraid that it would show the unsuspecting world exactly what they are.

A destructive and lying demonic cult.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Greetings:

there are lots of reasons why the Society would choose not to sue including not having much of a case in the first place. There really aren't any legal theories or applicable statues to support any kind of suit against Franz.

But assuming for the sake of argument that there was solid ground for a suit, there are reasons why a person or Org would not want to sue including being in the right or not wishing to cater to a spectacle (similar to Jesus not responding when questioned before Herod), to not wanting to give more publicity to the person, to the fact that there is no money to be obtained from Franz and injunctive relief would be very unlikely (even if copyright claims could have been supported.)

-Eduardo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit