What Motivates YOU to Post Here?

by trevor 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Bryan
    Bryan

I'm sure as many of you have noticed, many such as defd, afin and the like, avoid certain questions. They avoid them because they know they cannot defend the Tower's stance. I promis you, they realize they are wrong and cannot truthfully defend. That's why they don't reply. As well, many lurkers on the fence or just curious see this, too.

This board, with our posting, does open peoples eyes and makes them think... even the Tower sponsered spies!

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

When I started posting I was looking for people that had been through the same thing I had, that would understand and knew what it was like to be in the clutches of that faith. It's difficult to explain to people that don't know what it's like and the relief/freedom one feels.

There are times when I just fool around on the lighter topics.

There are times when I've been hardish with defd, mainly because he says one thing & then tries to deny he that he said it, or that we were twisting his words. I don't understand how he can say that this site strengthens his faith.....I couldn't reason how he could classify himself a witness by associating (even if on the net) with so called apostates.

Most of us here are pretty clear cut about how we feel about the organisation - we don't see life through rose coloured jw glasses anymore.

I don't know - perhaps he's trying to hold on to the 'dream'

• Cordelia
    Cordelia

i havent been posting that long but sirona introduced me to this site when i got dfed,

i post now because im confused and want to hear all your views on the religon, as i have so much family pressure on me (i have let them think im gonne get reinstated asap!) and i supose alittle scardness that 'what if it is the 'truth' (sorry everyone!) and i love the encouragement i get from everyone and finding out certain teachings are false (im hoping that will give me the strength i need to stand up to my family!)

also it cheers me up, paulj said a really good joke on a thread and i cant remember what it was but it really cheered me up that day

thanks paul

• trevor
    trevor

No one likes to start a thread on something they feel is important and get no response, so I appreciate your posts and have enjoyed reading them.

I did not start this thread to suggest that we should be different, or to be in any way critical of anyone or their posts. I asked:

What is your motive when you post or reply?

Are you happy with the way you come across and the effect it has on others?

Have you thought of trying a different style or approach?

I have asked myself these questions and hopefully it will lead to an improvement in the quality of my posts. It is likely I will be noticed even less because it does seem that the confrontational posts attract the most attention. If attention is what you seek then that is probably the easiest way to get it.

I enjoy watching the clashes myself, they are really entertaining, so I hope people carry on infighting. If people want to climb into the ring, good on them. My only reservation concerns the impression it gives to visitors.

The idea of this thread was basically to reflect on whether we want to encourage Jehovah’s Witnesses to stay and talk to us or get rid of them. If I honestly thought there was only hostility toward them, then I would have to ask what I am doing here.

Those that come here despite the Watchtower Society warnings, are obviously looking and thinking, as we once did. I like to think that they will be left feeling that they came to the right place.

trevor

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

What is your motive when you post or reply? Usually it's a response to the topic or comments to topic.
    Are you happy with the way you come across and the effect it has on others? Sometimes I'm not happy with the way I come across only because not being a writer and finding it difficult to express myself fully in writen form things dont come out as I would like sometimes. As long as I'm not rude or mean or catty I dont usually worry about how words effect others. My words are my words and opinions nothing more. If someone doesnt like it they can call me on it or just not read it. Have you thought of trying a different style or approach? I think I have different ways of responding depending on the subject matter of the topic and the person posting the topic. I know a few here better than others and sometimes that influences my style or approach.
    The idea of this thread was basically to reflect on whether we want to encourage Jehovah’s Witnesses to stay and talk to us or get rid of them. If I honestly thought there was only hostility toward them, then I would have to ask what I am doing here.
    I for one am here to hang out with other exjws (I do consider myself to be an exjw even though I was never baptised as one, I was born into it). I think that if this board had a stand policy of having a soft hand towards those jws that flamed the board and disrespect those here who are going through horrendous issues with the watchtower and if this board even came close to being a jw apologist board, I would not stay.

Josie

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

Why do it? " In humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will them repentance, so that they may know the truth, and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will."(II TIM 2:25,26)

"And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them." (EPH 5:11)

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and and always be ready to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: (1 Peter 3:15)

That's my reasons since leaving the Watchtower.

It's not my my truth nor my light. It's God's. Scripture said it, I believe it...therefore it is. I didn't say it..God said it.

• trevor
    trevor

Yeah ha! RevFrank

You seem sincere and well intentioned. A shoot from the hip - Bible read man.

You thought you had the truth once before and found your dreams were built on sand. I hope you don’t have to face disappointment again.

I was an oak, now I’m a willow I can bend.

trevor

• ballistic
    ballistic

This has changed over time. Originally it was a need to confirm all that I suspected about the "truth".

Now it is in the hopes of finding a meeting of minds with people who share a common background and therefore might understand me (a little bit).

• Valis
    Valis

I just come here to antagonize ballistic...

• trevor
    trevor

Valis

Your choice of tool is very apt.

This is the tool of choice for those trying to help Jehovah’s Witnesses to leave the Watchtower Society and join their religion.

Out of the frying pan into the fire!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit