What Motivates YOU to Post Here?

by trevor 40 Replies latest jw friends

• trevor
    trevor

Defd has said he will leave and it caused me reflect on how he was treated. Are we happy with the way we responded when he tried to defend his faith? This and comments about my own attitude have caused me to review my motive for the posts I make.

When I first started posting here I was thoughtful and sincere as were most of the posters back then. My aim was to help Jehovah’s Witnesses that visited the sight and leave them impressed by how reasonable and balanced their ex-brothers and sisters were. This would encourage them to return and find the help they needed.

Like all things in life, forums evolve and constantly change we change with them and can be affected by the style of other posters. Sometimes a desire to be noticed affects our judgment when making comments.

Sometimes it is easy to forget how far we have travelled since we were Jehovah’s Witnesses. Could we be kinder to those who are still mixed up and struggling to come to terms with their doubts about the Watchtower Society? They are not personally responsible for the hurt we have felt as a result of the Watchtower Society. Projecting anger or personal feelings onto someone for our own benefit will help neither them nor us.

In future, when I make respond to someone’s comments, I intend to stop and ask - what am I trying to achieve by commenting and how will it affect the person it is intended for?

What is your motive when you post or reply?

Are you happy with the way you come across and the effect it has on others?

Have you thought of trying a different style or approach?

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

What motivates me? Procrastination.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Could we be kinder to those who are still mixed up and struggling to come to terms with their doubts about the Watchtower Society?

I don't have a problem being kind to anyone - to a point. Once someone begins getting self righteous, judgemental and critical of me then the kindness ends. I put up with that crap for 20 years as a JW, and I didn't leave the watchtower just so that I could continue putting up with that crap. If they want to speak abusively to me then they better be prepared to get the same back. What motivates me? Usually it's boredom at work. Either that or I enjoy getting my blood pressure up once in a while.

W

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

I try to be understanding, however I think DEFD was treated the best way he could have, there was a mix. People who were soft with him and people who were hard. People need the varying opinions because it challenges them. Lets say they are hard asses, they will be challenged by the gentle nature of some in the face of their tyrades. Lets say a more gentle dub comes on, usually people here notice and adjust, with the occasional hardline which agains makes them think, because they are forced to defend the "truth".

Just like real life, variety is a good thing.

And DEFD...he'll be back, and he'll be at an apostafest within a year.

WLG

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

When I first started posting I just needed to vent and share my story. Knowing that you're not alone in your thoughts and struggles is very comforting. Now I try to post when I have something to say that hasn't been said in a thread already, or to offer support and encouragement (in very few words). But when I'm really in the mood to participate in a thread, I usually relate whatever it is to myself and try to convey my feelings through a personal experience. Then ... I sit back and wonder if I'm revealing too much about myself . Still, I like the feedback on this forum. It's the only one I post to even though I know there are others (I spend enough time here (ok, really, I spend too much time here) already).

I've found myself being harsh at times when I disagree but I've learned from that. I am always trying to improve my communication and social skills. I'm learning to disagree without being disagreeable, and not to get my undies in bunch over other peoples opionions.

sweet tee

• Honesty
    Honesty
    And DEFD...he'll be back, and he'll be at an apostafest within a year.

WLG

And I'll give him a big hug and shake his hand because it doesn't matter to me if attends as an apostate or a WT spy looking for faders.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

There is one person I post for... YOU

The You who is lurking on this site, full of doubts, fear and frustration as a JW.

The You who is looking for real answers this time.

When trolls and apologists post on JWD I believe it is important to debate them. Debate is non-existant in the JW world. There is no opportunity to make an informed decision by watching both sides defend their beliefs.

Derrick (Defd) made himself a hypocrite the moment he posted here. But who knows if a little debate didn't help him as well?

I have been talking to a few people here privately and I came to the decision that I will not post anymore here. Those few individuals I talked to were nice and the way they were treated by the "FRIENDS" was all too familiar to me and it makes me truely sad. I also see that some on here are not so nice.( had to throw that in there) I realize that many have GOOD reason for stopping their meeting attendence. I am close to it. At least the Hall I go to. I also realize that some not only stopped attending meetings but they have forsaken Jehovah altogether, which also makes me sad and mad. I see that by me being here doesnt do Ya'll any good or myself. So id like to apologize if I offended some here(but not to all) My finally thought is: Jesus will get those who hurt ya'll I am convinced they are in serious trouble. Jehovah knows the heart of everyone and i am certain in some here he sees good.

Malachi 3:16 Then those in whom was the fear of the LORD had talk together: and the LORD gave ear, and it was recorded in a book to be kept in mind before him, for those who had the fear of the LORD and gave thought to his name.

Derrick (Source: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/96661/1.ashx)

For those of you who lurk, I salute you for your ability to look outside the bubble. I hope we have helped you in some way.
  • trevor
    trevor

Thanks for your comments so far.

I've found myself being harsh at times when I disagree but I've learned from that. I am always trying to improve my communication and social skills. I'm learning to disagree without being disagreeable, and not to get my undies in bunch over other peoples opinions.

Now I know why you are called sweet tee!

Judging by the mediocre response to this thread, I think Defd will be missed. He provided a focus for people to vent their anger and frustration on.

He accused us of feeling guilty - the silence suggests he may have been right!

• daystar
    daystar
    He accused us of feeling guilty - the silence suggests he may have been right!

I think your choice of topic title may have done more to keep this thread unnoticed. If I had known it was about defd, I may have commented sooner!

• daystar
    daystar

From the threads I followed with defd on them, for example, I think he held up commendably. I think he would have been ill-served to be treated with kid gloves, as we all are.

Strength is gained through meeting resistance. The stronger the resistance, the greater the strength gained.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit