Quick: How do I JW-proof the house?

by Thegoodgirl 58 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie
    I once had an elder jump all over me about my patriotic sticker on my car and come to find out it was just the "Oil Change Reminder" sticker that had a blue star with a red back ground.

One of those Rosannadanna moments, eh, CG? Did you offer to buy him some (new) glasses?

Blondie

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Grab the vibrator from under the sofa cushion and put it somewhere discreet.

Any necklaces or jewellry in your box - with crosses - hide them, and no charm bracelets either.

Get the adult channel removed from your tv.

Rosary beads off your rear view mirror/or the lucky dice.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Where can I get one of those for my parents next visit?

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Take that "NO Jehovah's Witnesses" sign off your front door.

Hide away all you short skirts and low tops in case there is a random wardrobe check - and of course no animal prints.

• daystar
    daystar

You know what? Why play the game? Aren't you tired of it?

I got utterly sick of it. Every time my parents came to visit, I ran around hiding books, videos, pieces of art... And eventually, I just gave in. I may make discreet any super-controversial books (of which I have a few), but no moreso than I would for any other visitors.

One year, for X-mas, I bought I huge celtic cross to hang on the wall. Next time they came over, they did notice it, but not a word was said about it.

You have to get beyond this at some point.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

remember to stock the liquor cabinate with 110 proof Rutherford bourbon

steve

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Why do I put up with it? Well, the way I see it, when you have crazy parents, you take what you can get. In other words, you hang out with them in their sane moments, and avoid them in their crazy ones. Yeah, maybe--probably-- mom will stop talking to me at some point. But I'd rather keep what's left of our relationship for as long as possible. I rarely lie to her (except about the birth control pills in college), and she obviously knows I married an unbeleiver. When she brings up the JW "truth" talk, I tell her,

1. "I don't want to discuss it." Or "Well, anyway, Mom, let's change the subject."

2. "But mom, why do you say the truth will make my life so much better when if I look at so-and-so in the congregation, they're in just as bad if not worse of a situation..."

3. " I will be honest, I really don't think I will be attending the memorial this year, I don't like it that DF'd people are shunned, it makes me mad that people won't talk to my little sister, so I don't want to see those people."

So, see it's not like a total hiding of my life and thoughts. And of course she knows I don't go to meetings, etc. I just don't want to throw a christmas tree in her face, forcing the inevitible shunning to start RIGHT NOW. Ya know?

• defd
    defd

goodgirl

why would u even bother hiding things. Just be who you are, not hide who u are.

• daystar
    daystar

Thegoodgirl

Ya know?

Yes, of course I do. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, wrote the book.

For once, though, I agree with defd. (!!) The show should end at some point, for your own sanity and sense of self.

• defd
    defd

I agree with defd.

Just crabbed my chest I guess THERE IS a first time for everything

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit