Trinity- True or False

by defd 215 Replies latest watchtower bible

• defd
    defd

I know from going door to door that people are generally divided as to who God is. What are your thoughts? Is Jesus ALMIGHTY God?

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

I thought this would be funny as you placed in in the humour section......

But anyway, I think the bible is not really clear about it, maybe even contradictionary.
    well, if I be 'forced to make a choice', I would say that the trinity is false. It makes no sense at all.

but then it is a none issue for me now

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Since I left the Witnesses and became a Christian this has been a question I have struggled with for a time. I have seen both arguments and there is merit on both sides. I remain unsure.

One thing I do know for sure is that I have taken the WTBTS out of the trinity now - I no longer worship a book publisher!

Jeff

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Setting aside the Trinity, for a moment, how do you read John 20:28?

• Terry
    Terry

Let me pretend for a moment that this is a subject even worth discussing.

Any discussion of God and the nature of superlative supernatural deity would require a vocabulary that matched the subject.

After all, we measure weight in pounds and ounces and not colors and gallons.

(Or, grams and kilograms and not liters and milliliters.)

How does humanity find the right system of measurement to discuss God? Using ancient vocabularies like Hebrew or Greek?

I think not!

It always comes down to metaphor. This isn't precision and it isn't even close to objective.

So, how, I ask you; HOW can God be discussed with accuracy?

We just don't have the tools! We don't have the scale and we cannot find a commensurable standard of measurement that MEANS anything beyond a poetic quaintness.

How can generations of great minds actually ARGUE about the nature of something or someone who cannot even be defined without metaphor?

It is mind-bogglingly stupid!

This is a non-issue that has been, historically, a major point of doctrine resulting in schisms, persectutions and divisions of the brotherhood of faith.

If this one issue doesn't illustrate the insanity of RELIGION in general, I just don't know what would.

So there!

Terry

• jgnat
    jgnat

I don't think the nature of God can be condensed in to a true or false question. I remind myself of the proverb of the blind men and the elephant. Which observer was right?

http://members.aol.com/Wildlifer/blindmen.htm

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

No offense, Terry, but if it is not worth consideration, why do you bother us with your consideration and clearly biased opinions about this subject that matters not to you?

Good question LT, but I assume the question is for defd.

It is one of those texts that makes one think though.

Jeff

• defd
    defd

I look up the cross references, and help finish Thomas thought, just 3 verses down it reads, "But these things have been written down that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God.............

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I'm glad to see I'm in such good company! I consider myself a Christian (more so than I ever did when I was a JW!) but I too, have not accepted the trinity as yet. Both "sides" seem to have good "proofs" on this subject and I don't feel in my gut---that I will be zapped into oblivion during any armageddon for being undecided about it.

What Jesus himself taught, his emphasis on the self-sacrifice in doing for others in need, and living by the two rules that he taught were important......the rest is gravy. The world didn't need a modern-day group of uptight Pharisees such as the evil WTS cult, who go against Jesus' teachings in every printing of their literature.

Annie

• carla
    carla

defd,

Are you suggesting you would be willing to do actual research as to what Christians believe about the Trinity? No offense, but I find that hard to believe. Research would include what Christians have to say on the matter, not merely what the wt has to say about what Christians believe. The idea the wt puts forward about Christians and the Trinity is false. I usually hear about a 'three headed god or even the word 'monster' from my jw. Yet he is unwilling to look at what actual Christians have said or even Bible scriptures. Research would also include looking up quotes used in various wt's about what early church fathers have said and see if they are even remotely close to what the author intented. In my opinion, it turns into jw's asking people to look into their beliefs yet they are unwilling to look into anything that is not written by the wt. carla

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit