Sep 15th WT: Christians spend weekends enjoying recreation and not service

by truthseeker 53 Replies latest jw friends

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    Then, SUDDENLY, at 11:00 AM the work reaches a fever pitch! Everyone's picking up the pace! What is it? An interested person??? Persecution??? Armageddon??? NO!!! It's a sudden, renewed zeal for Jehover Tim Hortons!!!

That's basically how it went for service when I was slogging door to door......except that newfound zeal was for breakfast and coffee at Mcdonalds or the closest Shipley donuts.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Hi

Page 18, para. 10

Some questions we do well to ask ourselves are: ‘What place do material things occupy my life? Am I using the material possessions I have to live a life of pleasure or to promote true worship? What brings me the greatest satisfaction? Is it Bible study and fellowship at Christian meetings, or is it weekends away from Christian responsibilities? Do I reserve many weekends for recreation instead of using such time for the field ministry and other activities in connection with pure worship?’ Walking by faith means that we keep busy in the Kingdom work, with full trust in Jehovah’s promises.

I happen to be working on a cult education project right now and I was wondering, could someone send me a scan of the article or the full text? My email address is in my profile (in the text section). If that is possible, I'd really appreciate it. If it's not possible, could you verify this comes from the 2005 issue or is it last yr's?

Thanks again

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

So let me get this straight, the organization is telling witnesses they are acting too much like Baalism. Weddings parties, eating food to excess. Well if memory serves me right when God's people Isreal started worshipping Baal or doing acts of Baalism they were destroyed as mentioned in this biblical text.

Israel worships Baal
    Nu:25:1: And Israel abode in Shittim, and the people began to commit whoredom with the daughters of Moab.
    Nu:25:2: And they called the people unto the sacrifices of their gods: and the people did eat, and bowed down to their gods.
    Nu:25:3: And Israel joined himself unto Baal-peor: and the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel.
    Nu:25:4: And the LORD said unto Moses, Take all the heads of the people, and hang them up before the LORD against the sun, that the fierce anger of the LORD may be turned away from Israel.
    Nu:25:5: And Moses said unto the judges of Israel, Slay ye every one his men that were joined unto Baal-peor.

So are we to think that the Society is now threatening the witnesses? Are they utilizing fear and scare tactics to dictate their obedience to God ? Having a fun weekend is evil ? Even Christ took time for recreation.

Well tell me this is there one memeber of that Governing Body that goes out in the service when the temperatures throughout Canada and the USA have been so hot and sweltering beyond normal levels? I bet you that they don't even go out. They sit in the lap of luxury in their apartments with central Air condioners running full blast and eating food that is lucious, like lobsters, shrimps, Tbone steaks while all other obedient sevants of God have given up the luxuries of life to go in the service or meetings and whatever else they GB imposes upon the congregations. I bet they take trips in the lap of luxury. I mean lets face facts ,they deserve it. While the little guys work there asses off . And eat hamburgers and hotdogs.

It sickens me beyond belief that they have the nerve to tell witnesses they can't do this or that. The GB is worried now that witnesses are seeing the organziation for what it really is . Man ruled. Dictatorial, not Theocratic.

I deplore their tactics and it is really abuse , by telling them if you aren't going to do what we say then you are going to die at Armaggedon. barf barf barf.

Orangefatcat is hot and pissed in Canada.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

This is not cheap. Even a road trip costs a lot in terms of the outrageous gas prices.

Sounds like you need to spend a few weeks in Europe then you would say US gas prices are stinking cheap

• Stress Free
    Stress Free

The little boy waving in the back ground reminds me of myself when I was a child. Being lead around and

told that this is what god wants from you. I remember being so jealous of other children at school whom

on the weekends enjoyed all the recreational activities. Whilst my recreation was knocking on peoples

doors and having brain washing sessions on Sunday. But my family is sure making up for all that lost

time now.

PS. I reckon the little boy in the picture is saying, TAKE ME, TAKE ME!!!!!

alt

• kilroy2
    kilroy2

They truly must feel a threat in that the numbers and money is going in the direction that they want, this is the only reason that they use threats to the R&F to keep going door to door, and meetings or big rocks will fall on your head, then the old romancing the stone, when deveto asks when are you coming back...... soon very soon, this is what I always say to the dubber, when it the big A,...... soon verrrrry soon. Right after abe, isac, jacob, get the mansion in,,, strike the last part.

• steve2
    steve2

Is this new light? Instead of making comparisons between Christians and pagans, the comparison is now made between types of Witnesses (i.e., baal-like people). Call me picky, but I preferred it when they made snide comparisons between Witnesses and that other oft-criticised group, "pagans".

I like the way the picture manipulatively pits the two "types" of Witnesses against each other. I suspect it won't make one jot of difference to the waning preaching work and slackening meeting attendance. All it will do is make the vastly increasing number of weekend leisure-seekers sneakier and more clever in combining the dull and demanding life as Witnesses with getting much needed respite and fun. SUV here I come! steve2

• colorado5591
    colorado5591

They say pioneering is not for everyone, but a university

education is very important.
    They will offer up their children on the

altar of education.

Lemme get this straight, right hand is laying the "more donations, pick up the pace!" guilt trip, and the left hand is saying "Education and working are not of import and all who pursue these things are in leagues with the dark lord himself"

Think of the pressure that puts on families who live hand to mouth! Brother Soandso has to work excessivly to make ends meet because the GB said"better education = sacrificing your children on an altar! How does one make ends meet and on what planet does that even make sense?

"And BTW brother Soandso, I have not seen you at the contribution box lately"

• steve2
    steve2

There's only one way to make sense of the creaky attitudes expressed in the September 15th Watchtower: It's written by cranky old men who are too proud to see what is evident to everyone else: These men's own lives are almost over and they want to ensure that the rank and file behave as if their lives are also over. Bor-ing.

• rebel8
    rebel8

This is a great article. It proves they are still up to their old tricks.

Is there any other group in the world that is still concerned with ancient phoenician gods?

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. I was wondering if I mentioned this article to my husband, would he even understand what Baal is? Also, he was a fertility god, right? So what does that have to do with riding around in your jeep with the top off instead of going out in FS?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit