Sep 15th WT: Christians spend weekends enjoying recreation and not service

by truthseeker 53 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

In a recent post, Sir82 wrote that a trainee missionary attending the school of Gilead emailed the following..

"It was brought out that Christendom and the world smacks of
    Baalism today. Sad to say, like the Israelites sometimes even Jehovah's
    people can be affected with Baalism. Sometimes they say that there are
    too many meetings. They don't want to exert themselves. They don't want
    the deeper things of the truth but always say to keep it simple. They
    wont take Friday off for the convention. They reserve many weekends for
    leisure. Where do they get their enjoyment; from a weekend away from
    Christian activities with their brothers or with the brothers in
    theocratic activities? Sometimes their parties and weddings become
    Baal-like. They slow down in service and meetings to get more material
    prosperity. They say pioneering is not for everyone, but a university
    education is very important. They will offer up their children on the
    altar of education. The Canaanites were destroyed, we don't want to be.
    Powerful stuff! "

To back up those comments, the September 15 th Watchtower, under the first study article entitled, “Walk by Faith, Not by Sight!” has this to say…

Page 18, para. 10

Some questions we do well to ask ourselves are: ‘What place do material things occupy my life? Am I using the material possessions I have to live a life of pleasure or to promote true worship? What brings me the greatest satisfaction? Is it Bible study and fellowship at Christian meetings, or is it weekends away from Christian responsibilities? Do I reserve many weekends for recreation instead of using such time for the field ministry and other activities in connection with pure worship?’ Walking by faith means that we keep busy in the Kingdom work, with full trust in Jehovah’s promises.

Top of page: Two pictures, one of a family of four in their SUV going on a road trip and the other of the same family out on field service.

Caption: Does recreation often keep you from theocratic activities?

The rhetorical questions in this paragraph are very telling. The USA has had 0% increase this year (based on service reports in the Kingdom Ministry), that the witnesses are very lacklustre in their ministry. Clearly, some if not many witnesses feel that there time is better spent, and enjoying, on weekend activities.

Does this situation really affect the organization? You bet it does! How?

1. Less time spent on spiritual weekend activities, means less hours in service.
    2. Being absent at field service meetings means lower attendance and possible discouragement by some of the friends if they feel that people are happier going on a weekend trip than attending a field service arrangement.
    3. Perhaps these weekend goers are not making return visits or being responsible for Bible studies – this would also affect the monthly and annual service report.

Perhaps this situation exists more in developed lands, where witnesses have the money to go away for pleasure trips. Note that the paragraphs say some witnesses reserve many weekends for recreation. This is not cheap. Even a road trip costs a lot in terms of the outrageous gas prices.

What can we learn from this? Zeal in the preaching work has slowed down. And it’s not just field service arrangements that are being missed – the Public Talk and Watchtower meetings would also show lower attendance and less audience participation. It’s clear, that things are only getting worse for the Society.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

So what's wrong with a little Baalism now and then?

W

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy
    Sometimes their parties and weddings become Baal-like.

LOL! What does that even mean? Do they have any concept of how silly this sounds? Let's try it on for size.

• "Wow, did you hear about Bob's party last weekend? It was really Baal-like."
    • "I don't know if we should hang out with Jimmy anymore - he's acting so Baalish."
    • "Sometimes it seems like all people care about these days is Baal."
    • "Sister Smith's wedding sure was nice, but it seemed a bit Baal-esque, I have to admit."

Nothing like a meaningless buzzword to rally the troops! :-)

SNG

• luna2
    luna2

What I want to know is does anybody really enjoy a weekend full of un-Baalish, "Christian" activity?

Dang, I wish I wasn't an apostate so I could get out there and spend all of Saturday out knocking on doors in the heat (in my dress, slip and pantyhose) and conducting Bible studies!!! Saturday night I could study the Watchtower alone at my diningroom table while enjoying a large frosty glass of milk as Kingdom Melodies play softly in the background. Before I know it, it's 9:00 p.m. and time for bed...got to make sure I get my beauty rest so that I can be up early to get ready for an exciting day of meetings and more service. WhooHoo! What a great theocratic weekend that would be!!! Ugh!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Yeah, and how many JWs come in because of door to door work. I wonder. For me it was through informal witnessing.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

"And I also heard that they were playing Canaanite music at Sister Hottiez wedding!! Its was that CD from Bob Dylan - "Empire Baalesque"

• I quit!
    I quit!

Baalism

Baalism is a great Near Eastern nature religion, highly developed by the Canaanites or possibly the Phoenicians, who believed that each copulation of Baal and Astarte brought fertility to their land every spring.

If this is what Baalism means I guess what the Watchtower is saying is that too many witness are spending their time f'ing off rather than selling their magazines.

Could this word become part of the witnesses special vocabulary they use to identify themselves? Here are some examples of how they could use the word:

John is really baaling off. I haven't seen him in service in a month.

Sure glad I don't go to the east congregation. Bunch of untheocratic baalers go there.

Get baaled!

I suffered from Baalism which turned into Bailism which caused me to bail. I highly recommend it.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

It's true! I was once involved with a group of Witnesses in the congregation that decided one week to abandon our usual zealous door-to-door preaching, and one Saturday we had loads of fun carving a bovine Baal idol and going to the supermarket to buy the finest offerings to sacrifice to it. This was because we were suffering with quite a drought that summer. Well, nothing happened....no rain!! Then Mildred reminded us that it was the month of July and Baal was still imprisoned in Sheol and we would have to wait until his resurrection in early autumn for his powers to return. Oh well, it was a pretty fun weekend nevertheless.

• The Chuckler
    The Chuckler

The WT wants them all to be more sheep like.

Say no to Baal-like, and yes to Baa-like!

• Apathy
    Apathy

Sometimes their parties and weddings become Baal-like.
    Damn. Fifteen years as a witness, and not one wedding/orgy! Obviously, I'm just not in the right congregation, I gotta move to whereever this fellow lives!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit