Are there any "BLONDES" here with an I.Q. over 100 ????

by JH 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

I know your opinion would really hurt my friend's feelings. She's one of the most tender-hearted persons I've ever had the privilege of knowing.

Wow, an intellectual with a heart? Who'd a thunk it?

• acadian
    acadian
    Acadian, are you Cajun?

FlyHigh, No, I'm " Acadian" My families from Prince Edward Island, Canada.

And I'm very earthy, grow most of my own food, raise animals for milk, cheese and eggs ect.

As a matter of fact my lovely wife just brought in halve dozen eggs as I hunt and peck this post.

Acadian

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Your very lucky!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I know your opinion would really hurt my friend's feelings. She's one of the most tender-hearted persons I've ever had the privilege of knowing.

Well, gosh I didn't say MENSA was made up of only intellectual snobs, nor did I say they have superficial values. I said I think it's likely full of intellectual snobs. I like down to earth people who aren't superficial. I don't care what their IQs are. Why make an exclusive club for people with IQs over a certain level? That in itself is a form of snobbery. That's the way I see it. I don't feel I'm being a snob for seeing it this way. Now, if I didn't want to hang out with someone because they happened to be a member of MENSA, then I'd be guilty of snobbery.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Well, gosh I didn't say MENSA was made up of only intellectual snobs, nor did I say they have superficial values. I said I think it's likely full of intellectual snobs. I like down to earth people who aren't superficial. I don't care what their IQs are. Why make an exclusive club for people with IQs over a certain level? That in itself is a form of snobbery. That's the way I see it. I don't feel I'm being a snob for seeing it this way. Now, if I didn't want to hang out with someone because they happened to be a member of MENSA, then I'd be guilty of snobbery.

Why give valadictorian and salutatiorian honors? Why have deans' lists? Why have any clubs? Afterall, isn't giving honors for intellectual accomplishments based solely on performance in academia snobbing those who don't perform as well? Doesn't this mean that any academic achievement is "superficial?"

A misconception held by the general public about these groups is that goups are people who sit around patting themselves on the back about how smart they are and lording themselves over the general population. I'm not saying your's is this attitude, but it is a common one I see. When your iq is significantly above that of your peers, you're going to have similar experiences and similar interests to others in your position. It's as simple as that. Granted, many gifted people are solitary and view clubs as being silly or beneath them. They're entitled to that opinion, but I can't help feeling it's not based on experience. How can you say "I'd never join such and such group" when you're basing your opinon on assumptions? This is snobbery in my opinion. Certainly not malicious, but snobbery nonetheless. Remember, we're all human, and being a Mensa member does not mean someone is not down-to-earth or superficial. It also doesn't mean Mensans have only friends in Mensa either.

I'm growing weary of this subject--think I'll go read a book.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

John Doe, why so sensative on this subject?

This is snobbery in my opinion. Certainly not malicious, but snobbery nonetheless. Remember, we're all human, and being a Mensa member does not mean someone is not down-to-earth or superficial. It also doesn't mean Mensans have only friends in Mensa either.

Yes, you're right, it's your opinion. Well, man I thought Mensans were apes or something, glad you hipped me to that they're human. Read my post again, John I never said a Mensan couldn't be down to earth or that they are all superficial. I will add that an intellectual need not be a member of MENSA to be snobbish. And being a member in itself doesn't make a person a snob.

I still find it pretty amusing that there is a MENSA in the first place.

• John Doe
    John Doe

My apologies, Flying High. I'm trying to work on it, but I do get preachy sometimes. I suppose your posts struck a cord with me because I went through the first 20-something years of my life with the same opinion. My opinion changed significantly after I had some actual dealings with the group. I didn't mean to be patronizing.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Well, talk about blondes, I couldnt get to the test through the link, so.........................................

• JH
    JH

http://sites.ninemsn.com.au/minisite/testaustralia/theworld/default.asp

the link Buttlight wasn't a test, but just the results

blonde

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit