What's the most DANGEROUS thing you ever did?

by JH 79 Replies latest jw friends

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

There are things I have done intentionally and things that just went out of control.

Like Elsewhere I have skydived a few times. It caused a special needs item on dangerous sports. I have skiied on some runs that were way beyond my abilities and far more dangerous than jumping out of a plane. I once canoed lakes in Nova Scotia without wearing a life-preserver -- I am not a great swimmer. I once did some electrical work in my home without properly checking that I had isolated the circuit I was working on. I was "shocked" after finishing, when I plugged in and found it was live. I nearly, or pehaps just a little, fell asleep while driving through the night after working all day and then attempting to travel for 16 hours without a break. I was at least sane enough to pull over and sleep in my car for a few hours in the middle of the night.

Unintentionally, at least I should have known better, I was nearly crushed by a machine attempting to maneuver it with an an overhead hoist. I nearly severed a finger working on a pnuematic ram. I jack-knifed a trailer on one of the busiest sections of freeway in Europe and ended up on the hard-shoulder facing the on-coming traffic. (Transporting a machine that was top heavey and of unknown weight, I spun 180 degrees and didn't hit anyone). As a young child I electrocuted myself, 240 volts, that burnt my fingers to the bone. I still have the scars on my fingers and wrist.

I am a lot more cautious nowadays. I wear eye protection when using power tools. I always check that circuits are isolated. I haven't had a car accident in 15 years. I carry a survival kit and first aid kit in my car. Oh, I have a life-preserver in my car too, just in case I get the chance to go canoeing.

3rd

• talesin
    talesin

S,

you worked in a coal mine? that is s-c-a-r-y $h*t man!!!!

t

• Satanus
    Satanus

T

Grande cache, alberta. The company was macintire porcupine. There were quite a few scotians, scottish, slavs, japanese, and of course other canadians. I was allowed to operate the miner once. I started a fire while attempting to cut up a huge rock. Fortunately, it didn't spread.

S

• talesin
    talesin

S,

Honestly, coming from where I do,,, I think it is one of the most dangerous jobs in the world.

My dad's best friend,,, he was a Cape Bretoner, trucker, rather rough, a heavy drinker, and the biggest sweetheart in all the world! Totally macho, but kind ... he told me that when he was 13, his dad took him to the mines, and made him go down. He looked at me and said,,, "I know I shouldn't say this, darlin', but I $h*t my pants. It was the only time in my life that I was afraid." He ran away from home that night. I got a glimpse of how frightening working in the mines would be ... RIP JOHNNY, you were the best!

I don't know how you did it.

t

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Ya really wanna know? In 1972ish when I lived in St. Pleasant, Md. (just outside D.C.) I not only worked for the Pr. Geo. Co. P.D., but I also had a part time job working evenings at Giant Food's payroll/personnel dept. I was the only one down there most evenings. One evening (it was still light outside, so I must not have been at work long.) my boss called from somewhere and told me a friend of his was going to come down to our dept and if I would take him where he instructed me, my boss would give me the rest of the evening off and write the time in on my time card. Boy was that fine with me!

The guy came down in a few minutes and after we left the building and got in my car (a '66 Malibu) he began giving me just minimum instruction...like "drive up this ave. for a bit...now you see that street on the left...turn there." WTF? I thought, so I finally told him his giving me little bits of instructions wasn't going to do him and especially me any good, that he should tell me where he was headed and how to get there. He persisted with the tidbits. When we got on the Baltimore Parkway (Bal'amer to locals), which consisted of 3 or 4 lanes going both ways with a grassy median, he asked me, "you see that Giant Food Store up there on the left?" I said "yep," as I pulled over in the left lane, thinking I was needing to turn in that direction. He then said, "well, you need to turn right into that Wagon Wheel Inn (bar & restaurant) on the other side of the street. Mind you, it was rush hour and all the lanes were full. I didn't have much distance before I would need to turn right and there we were stuck in the left lane. I slowed down. The vehicles in the two right lanes slowed also. Great. I sped up. They sped up also. Soooo, I put the pedal to the metal, floorboarded that puppy and did a 90 degree right turn across two lanes of traffic and roared into the parking lot safe and sound. I was gasping with laughter from relief that we'd made it. I'm sure he was makin' buttonholes in his skivvies and is still tellin' that story to his g/kids today.

Frannie

• Preston
    Preston
    PRESTON IS A HERO!!!!!!!

Awwww shucks HL

- Preston

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Very drunk, walked the span of a hotel side, 50 floors up, across windows ledges in south africa.

steve

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Got on the back of a strangers motorbike when I was 15 and on holiday in Spain, to go for a ride. He spoke no English, I spoke no Spanish.

Nothing happened beyond a spin on the motorway and a snog, but it scares me to think what a foolish thing that was to do, in retrospect.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Once a long time ago, back in my out of control party days, I mixed cocaine, marijuana, vicoden, xanax, LSD, and exctacy with copious amounts of alcohol. Really stupid.

• JH
    JH

LKL,

Yeah that's a bad mixture

I didn't go that far myself, but I remember drinking beer and cognac and gin, and vodka and were things spinnin'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit