Jehovah's Witnesses as "a people......"

by ScoobySnax 53 Replies latest jw friends

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I agree, JWs are basically good nice people. I like them - it is GB policies etc that are wrong

• lola28
    lola28

I have met many witnesses and been helped by many as well. As a whole I think most of them are good people. But then there are those that are just nasty people and they would be the same way regardless of the religion they practised. There are witnesses that will drop what they are doing if you call them and tell them you need help. However I don't think they do this because of the fact that they are witnesses. I think it is just because they are good and kind individuals that happen to be JWs.

Not all witnesses are good and not all are bad, the majority I think are people that want things in the world to be better, I know I did. So I try not to judge witnesses because of the interaction I have had with some of its members, rather when I meet one I choose whether I like him or her based on the person they are not on the God they worship.

Lola

• dorayakii
    dorayakii
    I agree, JWs are basically good nice people. I like them - it is GB policies etc that are wrong

But its the JWs who follow the GB policies... if there weren't 6 million "sheep" following the GB, the GB would just be a bunch of umpteen men, with no power at all.

• kazar
    kazar

Scoob, I understand what you are saying. I feel the same way when I am around them. However, it is a small number confined to the bookstudy I attended. It's a nice feeling, but I am not sure if it is part of the conditioning I experienced from them or if it is a true atmosphere of togetherness. I still can't tell the difference sometimes since I am newly out of the organization. I still may idealize the individuals, despite what I know about and despise about the WTBS.

• Farkel
    Farkel

scoobysnax,

: Who out of all you nasty old apostates (tm) will agree with me, that if you take the GB that you dislike so much, and the Watchtower that you hate out of the picture, will agree with me that at the end of the day, and on the whole, JW's really are a good bunch of people.

I wouldn't describe Jehovah's Witnesses as much as a "people", but more as a "herd." JW leader says "jump over that cliff" and the herd just jumps over that cliff. JW leader says die instead of saving your life with a blood transfusion and the herd members just die. JW leaders say "keep your dick out of her mouth" and the male herd groans and does just that.

Real people are not like that. At least if you exclude cult members and deal with just average people who don't live and die based upon some idiots who claim absolute temporaral, religious and eternal authority over them.

Farkel

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

I am not one of those nasty old aspostates as I have never been a JW myself but I certainly have known enough JWs and I agree with you Scooby to an extent.

If I understand you correctly, and it's quite possible I don't so please feel free to clarify, you are suggesting that if some of the negative influences of certain Governing Body members and the Watchtower Organization were to no longer be a factor in the lives of JWs what we would have is a wonderful bunch of people.

I certainly agree that there are some JWs who are wonderful regardless. I also agree that some of the less wonderful JWs would be more wonderful if it were not for some of the negative behaviors promoted by the Watchtower (i.e. shunning, theocratic warfare, bigotry towards non JWs). I do however think that there will always be certain JWs who are not nice and unfortunately some of these are in authority positions.

On the subject of smiling faces etc. at the assembly: I have been to a Kingdom Hall and seen those smiling faces and warm attitudes. I have also seen some JWs act completely different outside the group. Much the same as when I went to church as a child and would see wonderful Catholics in their Sunday best (both in clothing and attitude) only to be not so wonderful on the following Monday away from the church group. I have attended a couple of other denominations places of worship/gathering and people seem to all put on that special charm for the gathering.

The reality is that most JWs are bigots and are taught to be so. I don't find that a warm quality. I do agree that if there was no central authority figure(s) dicatating that they be this way then many (if not most) JWs would be fine people - in my opinion.

• anaperfection
    anaperfection

Hmmmmm. . .actually, some of the JWs I knew were some of the most horrible people I've had contact with. They were some of the worst liars, backbiters, and gossips I knew. It was the main thing that turned me sour towards the organization until I learned of all of the lies the organization tells. Individually, I hated most of them and hated the organization as a whole. A lot of witnesses I knew were worse than "worldly" people.

• nowisee
    nowisee

scoob --

i recently went to the billy graham crusade in new york city held in june out of curiousity.

really not too different than the assemblies i attended in yankee stadium.

best wishes, nowisee

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

one of the most powerful and truthful statments ever made to me by a prominent religeous individual when i asked for their opinion on the people who are jws. i was told he felt that the personality type of those who cling to groups such as jws are mostly needy and willing to follow a strong leader that offers strong promises, ie jws., mormons etc. i thought about this for awhile and really did not like identifying my family and friends with the 'type'. but, had to acknowledge the fact that he was right. before you ask, i will tell you, he was/is a priest with the russian orthodox church in san francisco. a young man and extremely devout and insightful in my opinion. he did not try to influence me in any way. i asked an honest question and got his honest opinion. after much time and thought, i find i agree with him. how do i know his opinion was honest? i listened to my mind and heart instead of trying to force my opinions/thoughts into a mold created by the gb or anyone else.

• Toronto_Guy
    Toronto_Guy

Hi Scub,

I think you make a valid point...

I am only 26, but up until age 24 was an active Witness (before being df'ed!)

I certainly don't agree with it now, and am shunned by all my family and former friends. However, I didn't have a problem with the vast majority of people I knew when I was a Witness. I enjoyed spending time with most of them and had alot of good friends. I feel fortunate my experience was not as negative or bitter as many on this board. I guess if I had been sexually abused as a child I would feel differently. That being said, I'm glad to be out now!

toronto_guy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit