Did You Usually Feel Guilty While A JW?

by minimus 45 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

OFC, truly it is sad to see the wretched conditionof those we love that are in servitude to the Organization.

• WILKO
    WILKO

Am not gonna be much help, probably felt gulity sometimes. Its over ten years ago since I bothered with them so its difficult to remember. To be honest, when I realised it wasnt what I wanted i never felt gulity at all.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Sorry to hear about your Mum Minimus.

I cant remember a day that went by when I didnt feel guilty for some reason. I felt guilty, for thinking wrong things, for not doing enough ministry, for not answering up enough, not attending enough meetings, not praying enough, not studying with my family enough, not placing enough literature... i could go on and on.... The day I stopped feeling guilty was the day I found this website.

I am continually greatful to everyone on here.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I can't remember, it's been so long. I don't think I felt guilty, I never missed a meeting or fieldservice. I can remember enjoying a weekend when it snowed and the I cancelled the meetings. This was very rare though. Almost all my vacations were to attend a convention.

When I stopped going I didn't feel quilty, I just enjoyed my time at home.

Ken P.

• blondie
    blondie

The question is do you feel guilty because of disappointing God or people?

When I switched my focus to what the Bible said and not what the WTS said, my feelings of guilt diminished greatly; to nonexistence today. Even the WTS points out that when traveling, Jacob matched the pace to the children of the group, the weaker ones physically. Jesus took into consideration the physical needs and limitations of his audience by providing food and time to rest. Her spiritual health will suffer if she does not take care of her physical health.

Blondie

• Balsam
    Balsam

The Society wanted us to feel guilty all the time they believed it motivated us to listen to their leadership, and it did. I felt guilty occasionally, but mostly I was always trying to help other who were burdened with guilt over every little thing in their lives. The ones who were ill really suffered. They could not make the meetings and door to door work, and guilt ate at their mind when it shouldn't have. I always reminded them that Jehovah was merciful and knew their circumstances. I felt little guilt when I could not go to meetings while caring for my elderly mother, or kids were sick. I saw no point if beating myself, when if God wanted me at the meetings he would make it all easier. LOL

Because of lack of guilt I finally broke free when I began to see the brighter light of the world outside the narrow WTS thinking.

Balsam

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I felt guilt 24/7. I was a pioneer, bethelite, virgin at 25, yet felt bad for everything. Wasnt exerting myself enough to get through the narrow door.

I have gone too far the other way now. I find it hard to feel any guilt. I dont think almost anything is wrong. Apart from violence, if it doesnt badly affect someone else i think its fine. I have an attitude that since we'll all be dead soon, what difference does it make. Hopefully i can get some balance over time.

• minimus
    minimus

jwfacts, I hear ya!

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

Yes, of course I felt guilty. The constant 'reminders' of all that I was supposed to do in a week went through my mind every day. But as blondie said, it was really guilt over not pleasing men. Once I recognized the true source of my misery I left the borg for good. Ridding myself of guilt has been a slow process but I am so glad to have come out on the other side. Now I search for truth in myself and the world around me. No longer trying to live up to impossible standards set by men - either in organizations or proclaimed 'holy writings', the constant sense of dread is slowly dissipating.

• reneef
    reneef

I felt guilty for never doing enough and that my heart was never into it. I also felt guilty about the double life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit