Did You Usually Feel Guilty While A JW?

by minimus 45 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

My 79 year old mom that has every ailment known to man was going to the bookstudy this afternoon because she felt "guilty" for not going the last couple of meetings due to illness. I told her it was 95 degrees outside and asked her not to go since she has difficulty breathing. She decided to do it anyway.......Then I got a call a few minutes ago to thank me for my concern and that she decided she was going to take my advice and not go after all ......Anything similar happen to you???

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Wow, Min. Sorry to hear about your mom.

My mom is just the same. After I was put on reproof, she started doubling up her donations...

Why? i'm sure it was because she feels quilty for my "sins".

Thats really the only concern I have about her- What she will do when she finds out I am "apostate".

• prophecor
    prophecor

Guilty as Charged

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

As always! Everyone around me made me feel guilty, unwanted, and worthless.

I felt guilty because I didn't want to be them.

My painful guilt might kill me one day.

Brooke

• talesin
    talesin

No, I felt virtuous. It was after I left that I felt guilty, indulging in all those sins of the flesh.

But I'm over it now!

Mini, my mom is the same ... it's sooooo stupid, and annoying too! Makes herself go to the meeting, sits alone in a room to avoid the scented products, then goes home and is sick for 2-3 days.

tal

• daystar
    daystar

Most of the time. Guilty about the "bad" thoughts I had. Guilty of the subversive thoughts I had that not all worldy people were bad. Guilty of the questions I wanted to ask, but did not dare. I felt guilty that I didn't put my all into the field service or into preparation for the talks. Guilty that I should feel love and kindness and understanding, but somehow did not, that perhaps I just wasn't "getting it".

Then, when I finally dropped out, the guilt intensified greatly. My mother would cry that she wouldn't see me in the New Order. I had horrid dreams and even waking visions of Armageddon and all the people around me being horribly destroyed. I felt guilty, oh yes.

Now I just feel guilty to myself for not following my own guided path sooner, which I knew deep inside was the right one to follow.

• undercover
    undercover

A well-trained and manipulated dubbie will always feel guilty.

Even after doing what you're supposed to, the emotional high that comes for doing the right thing doesn't last long because of the constant reminders to do more, give more.

As I typed that statment above it hit me that maybe the JWs need that "high" for doing "good works" and strive to maintain that high, but because the WTS loads the talks and publications with such guilt inducing language that they can't get it or keep it, thus they're like a junkie who can't get his fix.

Wow, what an illustration: The JWs are junkies and the WTS is their dealer.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I always felt guilty. Left me feeling horrible inside constantly.

I'm glad to hear your mom decided to stay home afterall.

I hated being told how important it was to drag my butt out to a meeting when it's 100 degrees outside, or -10 and leftover blizzard snow on the ground.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Not so much about meeting attendance, but I sure felt guilty about calling out from werk when the temperature is going to be near the century mark today. Though I have room to call out on notice, I sure hate to think about all my co-workers struggling in the heat w / o sharing in the misery of summer swelter.....oh well..........

• Sassy
    Sassy

I always felt guilty about everything.. about not enough personal study.. about missing meetings, not enough field service hours.. about wanting to sleep in on a Sat.. you name it.. I felt guilty!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit