What did shunning do to you?

by hillary_step 67 Replies latest jw friends

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

Sucka sucka can't make me suffer

Just make me stronger and make me tougher (It's motivation)

luv, jojo (of the i'll get gangsta on dat @ss!)

• upside/down
    upside/down
    proper training in dealing with their followers' spiritual/emotional delicate affairs.

I know what you mean...HOWEVER...I've had no "proper training" and I know most people haven't...

and yet they still somehow know how to BE NICE!!!

How F'n hard is it to just be nice?

u/d (of the JW's are a farce class)

• Ellie
    Ellie

My dad died of a heart attack shortly after being disfellowshipped, obviously there is no evidence of it having anything to do with the fact that some family members and all friends were shunning him but I don't suppose it helped.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

you know this got me thinking today...

i expected and ultimately didnt fight being df-ed..i was ashamed of what i had done felt totally responsible so felt i deserved to be punished..i had no idea the effect it would have on me of course..or that the elders would not reinstate me on the basis of believing lies told while i was df-ed

but i did what i could to try and get them not to df the girl i was involved with..

now i was talking to an elder from my old hall during the week there and mentioned that there was no holy spirit operative on the jc..he did the usual indignant..well you cant have been repentant..

but i wasnt talking about me...they believed that the girl i was involved with had emotional problems and was the innocent victim of a manipulative sexual predator...

but they still disfellowshipped her

i dont normally swear..but sometimes...

fucking morons

• upside/down
    upside/down

Ellie....

u/d (of the life sucks...than you realize you were in a cult class)

• not the administrator
    not the administrator

i turned to sex and drugs for help. alot of sex and drugs, i mean alot. funny thing is it helped. im off drugs now and i cant remember crap and the growing up a witness just seems like a tv show i watched. its like i started over knowing more and caring less.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Damn, I don't even know where to start on this subject. I was DF'd first time mainly cause I was disobiendent to my parents and went and lived with my birth dad. I missed my sisters and brother so much (I raised them.)--that I was reinstated. By this time I was a single teen mom. After several months I realized I couldn't raise my daughter that way. I left again--and was DF'd again. OH, can't forget to mention my stepdad, MS, sexually abusing me for years, and my mom knew.

I went back to Texas, where my birthdad and stepmom were. She was more of a mom than my mom was. I went real wild-- drinking, drugs, sex....2 suicide attempts within several years. I felt betrayed by my parents in Missouri. I missed my siblings so much.One note to my mom and stepdad said "you can't ignore me forever, I'll be waiting on you both in hell". Many, many years, 2 rehabs, and a couple mental hospitals later, they tell me I'm bipolar and have post-traumatic stress syndrome. I'm still battling with the bipolar thing. Last Sunday was my 1st birthday being clean.

Feel free to PM or email me. ([email protected])

shelley

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Shunning was the most painful thing I've ever endured. I didn't kill me, but it came close on one occassion. I'd lost my parents, I'd lost my faith, I'd lost God, I'd lost my friends, I'd lost my church - I lost everything that I associated my VALUE with.

About 15 years later, I realize MY value is MY value. Nothing more, nothing less. It has nothing to do with my parents, my church, my friends, my job. It's ME. And standing alone, I have value. Which is 180 degrees different from what the WTS teaches.

I would never wish shunning on anyone, but I'm grateful I went through it. It's made me very strong and it's made my life what it is today - FREE and AMAZING!

• not the administrator
    not the administrator

i took 11 triple stacked Mercedes and all my diazapams, took my seat belt off and went for a drive. i guess thats the closest i came to suicide. totaled my car and woke up in jail so suicide wasn't my thing to try anymore

• evita
    evita

My mother shunned me for 10 years even though I was not DA or DF'd. After that she just shunned me off and on for the next 10. The last two years were pleasant enough although the damage had been done.

The shunning was very painful as my mom and I had been very close. I was very depressed, angry, and often close to despair. I was also young and knew i had a future. The good thing that came out of it was that it forced me to create a life for myself. Then when I had my first child my depression and anger turned to a deep sadness that lasted for years.

Now that my mom has passed away I no longer have to worry about being shunned. But the sadness is still with me. And I regret all the time I spent being sad, angry, and bitter.

Eva

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit