What did shunning do to you?

by hillary_step 67 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello,

There can be little doubt that the WTS 'shunning' policy is a dangerous weapon. Each year tens of thousands of people are disfellowshipped, and experience the reality of being shunned. Many of them still believing the WTS doctrine that if they die in this condition they will shortly be executed by God at Har-Meggedon and die an eternal and disgraceful death some leaving the faith altogether. The common thread we all have is the emotional trauma and suffering that we go through during this process, sometimes over decades.

The stresses that this process brings upon a person vary. Some survive relatively intact, others become depressed and abandoned, still others become so distraught that they attempt, or even succeed at suicide.

I know of two people whose deaths are directly related to the shunning they recieved at the hands of their friends and families. One was a single woman, the other a man who left behind a wife two beautiful young children.

The WTS has been hoisted into the courts around the world on many occasions regarding this issue by distraught ex members, but has as far as we know never been successfully sued. This is due to it being able to hide behind the First Amendment, or its equivalent in other countries.

We are collecting information at present on a number of JW issues, shunning being one of them. This information will be held in complete confidence and will have a future use.

What we would like to hear is the emotional feelings that you underwent due to shunning. We are especially interested in knowing of any who committed suicide, or attempted suicide as a direct result of being shunned. If any suicide notes were found that mention shunning, this would be of urgent interest to us.

There is no need to go into details of why you were disfellowshipped at present, just what happened to you emotionally during that period. If we need to, we can contact you for further information. Please indicate clearly in your note if you do not wish your experiences to be known outside of myself, and I will of course honor your confidentiality in all respects.

My email address is [email protected]

Many thanks - HS

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

HS, initially, shunning made me extremely uncomfortable. However, I really didn't feel that I was dF'd for anything other than to keep other witnesses from hearing the "why" of my leaving. The end result, since I was totally isolated with no friends or family in support, was that I attempted suicide several times.

It's totally devastating to be left entirely without association with anyone you're familiar with or feel you can count on, especially when one is handicapped, even temporarily.

The worst of it is that the society was our whole life, our identity. The identity crisis that occurred afterward, though I knew I'd never go back, was the worst.

Frannie

• upside/down
    upside/down

I could write a book... it's almost like reading my own story when I see what others post...

I wish I could write well enough to convey my thoughts and feelings on this subject...but whatever I write NEVER seems to suffice.

u/d (of the finally a subject we can agree on class)

• Satanus
    Satanus

It convinced me that friends and family is all $hit.

S

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The shunning had the opposite effect it was "supposed" to have. Basically it pissed me off and resulted in me becoming so anti-JW.

• kls
    kls

Could have cared less less of their thoughts of me and actually i thought it was great then they would just leave me alone till it came to my husband , that was really hurtful but you know what they say of paybacks . I will have my day

• upside/down
    upside/down

kls (brethren primate)....never forget...

"Revenge is a dish, best served cold"- ancient Sicilian proverb.

u/d (of the vengeance is MINE class)

• kls
    kls
    kls (brethren primate)....never forget...

"Revenge is a dish, best served cold"- ancient Sicilian proverb.

And i will have mine on ice

• upside/down
    upside/down
    And i will have mine on ice

****shivers with goosebumps****

I like it....I like it a lot!

u/d (of the evil primate class)

• luna2
    luna2

I haven't experienced direct shunning yet...although I might the next time I run into anybody from the KH. I definitly got the impression that a brother who is a regular customer was pointedly keeping his back to me the last time I spotted him in the store. I did see a sis at the grocery store yesterday, but I pretended like I didn't see her, cuz I was a chicken. LOL Nobody has bothered to let me know if I am DA'd or not, so I don't know if this is formal or informal shunning as of yet.

I need to stop worrying about it and just say hello. They are the ones that will feel the pressure that way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit