read a good book this summer season

by franklin J 36 Replies latest social entertainment

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Just finished "The Greatest Generation" by Tom Brokaw. It's been out since 1999, but I just got a copy. Very good read!

Am now re-reading "Crime And Punishment" by Dostoyevsky. Been 40 years since the first read. A great classic!

HappyDad

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Yaaaay! Another book thread!

Welll, I've been reading some "investing-for-dummies" type books:

But aside from that I've been chomping down the semi-realist fantasy fiction. Let's see, now:

gently feral

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Does Harry Potter count? That was the last one, I admit to loving the story line. Other than fluff,

Firethorn by Sarah Micklem
    Ancient of Days by Michael Bishop
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman
    Light, coming back by Ann Wadsworth|
    Tales of a Drama Queen by Lee Nichols
    Coastliners by Joanne Harris
    Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

Some Terry Pratchett, some Anne Patchett and a bunch of others whos titles and authors escape me right now!

Sherry

• nilfun
    nilfun

GentlyFeral, Susanna Clarke's book is so wonderfully written. Absolutely loved it.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Just started "The Diamond Cutter" by Geshe Michael Roach.

Coffee

• lilbit
    lilbit

I knew someone would name the new Harry Potter before I did. I thought it was a great book.

I also recommend anything by James Patterson my favs are "As the Wind Blows and Lake House"

lilbit

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I forgot to mention in my first post on this thread that I recently read "Truth Or Consequences" by Roy Milton exJW.

It's his story of how he learned the JW "truth" along with the love of his life, their marriage, children, and years of serving the organization. Then he learns the real "TRUTH" and his wife divorces him and his kids have shunned him since. Makes me hate this sect/cult even more!

I highly recommend the book, but suggest you have tissue handy.

I'm going to order Captives Of A Concept next and possibly one or two of James Penton's books. Also heading to Barnes and Noble again next week.

HappyDad

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Reading 4 books at the moment (yes the thought of a black women reading 4 books at the same time is shocking to some on the board - I'm an abnormal black woman ) 1. Dark Tower V by Stephen King - Yes I have read the prior 4 novels in the series

2. How to Succeed in Being Yourself by Joyce Meyer - found this book at Sam's Club and it looked interesting

3. Your Best Life Now by Joel Osteen - I like his TV show and the book is cool too 4. The Unmistakable Touch of Grace - Cheryl Richardson

Josie PS My daughter (abnormal black youngest that she is at 7) is reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (yes she has read the first 5 books) and The Amber Spyglass - book 3 of the Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman (yes she has read the first 2 books in this trilogy). My oldest boy (11) is reading too (been hard to find something he enjoys) the third book of "A Series of Unfortunate Events - The Wide Window" by Lemony Snicket

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

bttt

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

currently reading: Night Fall by Nelson Demille. I love his style.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit