Would you go to a funeral at the Kingdom Hall?

by Dustin 56 Replies latest jw friends

• Frog
    Frog

Hey Dustin my good ol' mate:) I can fully relate to your conundrum, and it's incredibly sad and frustrating that we have to think of these things aforetime when they're oh so morbid, but it pays to be prepared now, to get your feelings sorted out on the matter before such a time (hopefully in the distant future) that this situation presents itself.

My initial reaction was, that of course we should attend our fathers/mothers funerals no matter where they are. As Blondie said though, JW funerals are very rarely actually about the person and the life they've had, but rather a plug for possible new converts and vommitting out JW fantacies about the "resurrection hope". In your case, as your father has made no effort to reach out to you, and on account of your strong opposition to the JW faith I can fully understand why you would decide not to attend. You don't need to put yourself through all that drama to say goodbe. You and your wife could have your own ceremony whereby you could make peace with your dad, and say goodbye.

This might be a little advantageous, but perhaps this would be the perfect opportunity to raise your personal pain with your father on the matter. Your father needs to realise that he has to respect your personal right to your own beliefs while he's alive. It's so disgustingly wrong that our loved ones are so arrogant about their rightness as to all things, that they would be willing to sacrifice your heart for their own twisted conscience. And to think that they would put a completely different spin on this, and put it back on us, as having put them through so much HA!!!

I remember when my non-jw grandfather passed away (13years ago on Thursday) and my parents refused to go into the Anglican church for the funeral, despite that it broke my non-jw grandmothers heart. I was just 12 at the time, and so desperately wanted to be in there, but was powerless to make this decision for myself. We sat in the car outside and watched everyone else go in. How I despise my parents arrogance for making this incredibly unnecessary stand.

My father is a fence-dwelling-dub, and has opened up to me, so I would attend his funeral no matter where it was. My mother though, I just don't know since she's completely shunned me. I hate to have to think about such things. But when a person you loves/loved died, the ceremonies afterward about remembering that persons life, and a time for those left behind to heal. So, we have to make the best decision we can in these circumstances I guess, to make sure that we have no living regrets.

Post script: Don't you go dieing young now, you're too good of a guy for that:) luv & hugs, frog x

• evita
    evita

My mom died last December and I did attend the KH. Many of her dub friends had helped care for her while she was dying. I went out of respect for her and those who loved her. I sat right up front with my siblings. We are all faded from the borg.
    The talk was boring as usual. The only nice thing was the remembrance card we had printed up and handed out to those in attendance. It had some witnessy stuff in it but also some things that were meaningful to us. Amazed that they let us do this. They would not let us bring our own guest book. I suppose they were afraid it would have a cross on it or something.
    Most of the people were nice and offered condolences. Some tried to witness to us. We were so grief stricken that we could have cared less about what others did or said. I had taken some Atavan and that really helped me get through it.
    I'm glad I went. I have been justifiably angry and bitter for over 20 years. Now it's time for me to let go of some of that. I hope I can.
    My mom was my last connection to the dubs. I miss my mom so much but I don't miss any of the joy-less witness religion. It really sucks the life right out of you.

• oldflame
    oldflame

Unfortunantly Not !

• Es
    Es

Im with daystar on this one you should go regarldess just to show your last respects. You may regret not going after. I try and live by this motto "Better to regret what you have done and not what you didnt" es

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Hey dustin-

I'm afraid I have to agree with the others and go anyway. They do not have enough power to keep me away. If you didn't go you might feel bad later. You can always go to the funeral home before the funeral and pay your own private respects. Will it defintely be a the KH?

Since all my siblings and I are not JWs, mom has just said she wants to be cremated. My stepdad has remarried, but if possible, I will go if I choose. The JWs will not be allowed to dictate my actions anymore. Besides, if either parent is buried, we decided to put a cross on the tombstone, and have a party graveside. Personally, my faith has it's own rituals to be done, which I will do.

Try and talk to your dad about the subject. At least you know you tried.

love ya man-

shelley

• fairy
    fairy

You should go to your parents funeral no matter where its being held.......its your mum or dad.

I would definitely go.....so what if anyone feels uncomfortable.

If you dont go, they will still say, ......."he couldnt even go to the hall for his dads funeral".

You wont win.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

I think when one of my parents (for whom I have absolutely NO feelings) dies, I will go to the "memorial service" (Why the hell can't they say funeral?) for three reasons: 1. To comfort my brother and sister. 2. To show them what TRUE love really is. 3. You never know if you might get a chance to plant some anti-Witness seeds.

• blondie
    blondie
    You should go to your parents funeral no matter where its being held.......its your mum or dad.

I would definitely go.....so what if anyone feels uncomfortable.

If you dont go, they will still say, ......."he couldnt even go to the hall for his dads funeral".

That doesn't apply in all cases. I refuse to go to the funeral of the father that sexually abused all his children and has never apologized nor my mother who allowed him to do it and has never apologized (in fact still keep slipping back into denying it ever happened).

Sometimes being "your mum and dad" is merely a biological accident.

Blondie

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

I agree with those who say Dustin should make his own decision and do what best for him. To those who who say he should go no matter what don't realize that not everything is black and white. Typical dub thinking.

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Yes, I have done so, wiht beard and all, and would do it again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit